PDA

View Full Version : Urbandale residents help vets visit WWII Memorial in D.C.

thedrifter
09-15-09, 07:26 AM
September 15, 2009
Urbandale residents help vets visit WWII Memorial in D.C.

By TOM BARTON
tbarton@dmreg.com

Several members of the Urbandale community are helping as many as 350 World War II veterans from Iowa fly to Washington, D.C., Oct. 13 to see the World War II Memorial.

Casey's General Stores Inc. gave $250,000 to Central Iowa Honor Flight, enough money to charter a 747 jet for a day trip for the veterans to the nation's capital.

Urbandale City Councilman John Forbes, who helped organize and raise money for the flight, said 400 to 500 veterans from central Iowa are on a waiting list for a third flight. The first honor flight was held last month and was underwritten by Hy-Vee Food Stores. So far, organizers have raised $500,000 for the first two flights and should have enough money secured for a third flight by mid-October, Forbes said.

"The men and women I met shared extraordinary stories of courage and heroism that will stay in my memory forever," he said. "For me to give up one day of my life for a lifetime of freedom is just a small way I can say, 'Thank you.'"

As organizers and veterans prepare for the second trip, Forbes and other Urbandale residents reflected on their experience participating in the inaugural flight.

Urbandale resident and World War II veteran Charlie Maguire, 86, said he is extremely grateful for the community support that allowed him to participate in an "emotional, once-in-a-lifetime" experience.

"It was well-organized and the people made you feel so appreciated," Maguire said. "At our age, none of us would have gone by ourselves."

Maguire, a retired teacher and coach, served in the Marines throughout the Pacific from 1943-46. He said he spent time in China attempting to keep communists and nationalists in the country from fighting, as well as repatriating Japanese troops.

Maguire said the Honor Flight experience was "sobering."

"The first thing you saw were the more than 400,000 Americans that died in World War II, and it was a sobering thought. You thought about how lucky everyone on that plane had been," he said. "You couldn't believe you were there. It was out of your imagination, you almost had to pinch yourself."

Forbes, as well, says he gets choked up remembering stories told to him by veterans during the trip.

He tells the story of a pilot shot down over Germany who survived by hiding in the forest during the day and foraging through people's gardens to get food at night.

The man, he said, was eventually captured by another German guard while trying to cross a river. He was a prisoner of war for nine months.

He told another story of a man who was in a wheelchair.

"We saw him walking to the memorial. We caught up with him and said, 'Here's your wheelchair.' He said, 'I'm sorry young son, but nobody's going to push me to my memorial,'" Forbes said. "I nearly cried."

More than 70 firefighters and emergency medical technicians from across central Iowa, including Urbandale, gathered at 3 a.m. Aug. 11 to help load the veterans onto the 747, coordinated by Urbandale Fire Chief Jerry Holt.

Brad Zaun of Urbandale also made the trip as a volunteer guardian, along with Urbandale City Councilman Tom Gayman. Zaun is also raising money for a third flight.

"I would rank it right below marriage and children. That's how much impact that trip had on me. I've never seen a more selfless group of people in my life and I truly understand why they call them the greatest generation," Zaun said. "It was an absolute privilege. .... If it weren't for Urbandale people, that flight wouldn't have taken off."
Additional Facts
•More flights are planned

World War II veterans from Iowa can apply to go on possible trips to the World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C.
TRIP FULL: The Oct. 13 trip made possible by a donation from Casey's General Stores Inc. is already full, but Central Iowa Honor Flight is planning more flights.

HOW TO APPLY: Those interested in future trips can call (712) 322-6638 and ask for an application. Applications can also be downloaded from www.centraliowahonorflight.org.

Ellie