PDA

View Full Version : Reservist Question

Darkness
09-15-09, 01:35 AM
I am currently a reservist in an 0231 billet, however I joined last year while my unit was on a deployment. I missed the deployment, but I want to be deployed with my fellow Marines. I want to request a deployment to my unit, however I am not sure if I can, or if they would let me go with another unit that is leaving soon rather than waiting for our call later next year. Is it possible for a PFC to request to get attached with another unit? Does anyone have any information that can help?

benw2200
09-15-09, 11:35 AM
I'm currently a reservist deployed with 3/24 and I know there are Marines deploying with us from various companies from 1/24 and 2/24. So obviously you can volunteer to deploy with other units. I would use your chain of command.. just ask around about other reserve units mobilizing and if you can go with them.

AAV Crewchief
09-15-09, 11:48 AM
I'm currently a reservist deployed with 3/24 and I know there are Marines deploying with us from various companies from 1/24 and 2/24. So obviously you can volunteer to deploy with other units. I would use your chain of command.. just ask around about other reserve units mobilizing and if you can go with them.

KEY WORDS:
"USE THE CHAIN OF COMMAND"

Supersquishy
09-29-09, 05:28 AM
My question is can you get your required dental and medical exams and any other misc. things done on YOUR OWN FREE TIME(not paid), so that on your duty weekends you can focus on training instead of wasting time?

GREY MATTER
09-29-09, 05:51 AM
My question is can you get your required dental and medical exams and any other misc. things done on YOUR OWN FREE TIME(not paid), so that on your duty weekends you can focus on training instead of wasting time?

i love you :)...but....if they arent actively drilling medical and dental will not see them. it's the reason i show up before im supposed to and attempt to knock it out before im supposed to drill....but i have it easier than most, i only have to drill for 4 hours a day since i am over my points for a sat year (i currently have 50 points not counting my actual drill time...once my drills are incorporated i will have 68 points 18 of which are paid)

if more reservists took the time to do what needs to be done on their own personal time they would have more time to train for the job they are supposed to be doing...i know since i have been a reservist i have used my own personal time to do my MCIs, get my ID tranfers my quals, ect..ect...
i am making a point to knock out my medical and dental crap before im supposed to report to my command for drill (i drill at 1100) so i get to base 3 hours before my drill time starts. i am also doing the range and mcmap on my own time, i dont care if i dont get paid for it, afterall i am a Marine and i do what needs to be done without any personal monetary benefit...but i am a rare case...most reservist think that if they dont have the uniform on then they dont have to shave, or get hair cuts...i truly hate reservists...even though i am one, i think it stems from the fact that i still have the active duty mentality and remember what it was like to work in a reserve command as active duty

Supersquishy
09-29-09, 06:40 AM
The reason I ask is there is a Navy Branch Medical here in town active duty, pretty big that is only a couple miles from home, could I go to them instead of waiting for my drill weekend in a unit thats 130 miles away?

AAV Crewchief
09-29-09, 07:16 AM
Former Marine active duty and reservist and current AF reservist here. You won't get any dental work done on the training weekend. That is not the purpose of a training weekend even for the folks who work in dental. Hell, between the BS computer training and commander's calls who has time to do anything else? They might do a screening, but that is all.