PDA

View Full Version : Marines off to war with handmade helmet liners

thedrifter
09-14-09, 09:40 AM
Marines off to war with handmade helmet liners

07:20 PM CDT on Sunday, September 13, 2009

By DEBBIE DENMON / WFAA-TV

FORT WORTH — In May, we told you about the owner of an Arlington yarn shop who is spearheading a project to make helmet liners for U.S. troops overseas.

So far, volunteers have knitted or crocheted more than 1,300 liners, and they just delivered a batch to North Texas Marines on their way to a tour of duty in the Middle East.

"We wanted to make sure that every soldier that leaves this base has a helmet liner when he goes... or she goes," Yarn Heaven owner Tarie Dillard-Williams said.

The gifts were a surprise to the Marines, who selected their liners from a big cardboard box.

"They were made by hand, each and every one," Dillard-Williams said.

Many dozens of knitters have volunteered hundreds of hours to make the helmet liners one-by-one.

"We want you to know when you're there that you're not forgotten," Dillard-Williams said.

Inside each liner was a personal note of inspiration from one of the knitters or from local students.

"You are my hero. Thank you for fighting for me," one youngster wrote. "You are special."

"I remember doing this as a little kid," one Marine said after opening his note. "I never thought in a million years I would get one."

For the Marines and for Dillard-Williams, it's a gift that speaks volumes about love and support.

"Little things like this — to know that we have everyone's support — this is why we do this, it really is," one Marine said.

I'm feeling very overwhelmed," Dillard-Williams said after the presentation. "I think that we've done the right thing."

Now these Marines have something to keep them warm on cold nights when they're far from home, but the knitters hope to complete 5,500 helmet lines for other U.S. troops. You can help; there's more information in the link in the sidebar.

E-mail ddenmon@wfaa.com

Video and pix's

Ellie