PDA

View Full Version : Shooting the Marine Corps way

skwhite3056pi
09-13-09, 04:05 PM
I would love to get my hands on a book, dvd, cd, something, that clearly outlines the fundamentals of USMC Rifle Marksmanship. The B.R.A.S.S. system has never left my mind, but I would still like to purchase a hard copy of the training involved. When I went to PI, we were still using the M-14; I now own a Garand, which I love, and use as my hunting rifle.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone has.

Semper Fi,:usmc:

Whitey

Gary Hall
09-13-09, 08:05 PM
I would love to get my hands on a book, dvd, cd, something, that clearly outlines the fundamentals of USMC Rifle Marksmanship. The B.R.A.S.S. system has never left my mind, but I would still like to purchase a hard copy of the training involved. When I went to PI, we were still using the M-14; I now own a Garand, which I love, and use as my hunting rifle.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone has.

Semper Fi,:usmc:

Whitey

:usmc: Spencer, great post & subject, Thank you. I appreciated your profile. Please don't misunderstand what I'm trying to say. I carried an M-1 for 5 years, barely qualified in boot camp. I immediately determined to qualify Expert, even if I had to re-enlist to acquire the time to do it. I made SS the 2nd year qualification and EXPERT in my 3d year (the pay for expert in 1950 was $5/month). Each year for requalification, we went to the range and "snapped in" for a full 8 hour day, for a full 2 weeks, BEFORE we were permitted to fire a single round. Should there be any doubt about this story, the CO at that time was LtCOL Olin L. Beall, a WWII enlisted man, who earned a Navy Cross at Chosin. Check it out. John C. Garand was an amazing man. The sights on the M-1 are such that while you are making corrections for windage, range, and rifle abnormalities, it happens that the sights are also correcting for shooter ASTIGMATISM. The USMC didn't tell me that I had a good case of astigmatism when I enlisted (was also color blind), but that's allright, I found out about it 5 years after I got out and was back in school. The 1st day (in 1957) when I put my first pair of glasses on, I was amazed. A lot of answers ran through my head, like why I earlier, up to that very day, couldn't hit a base ball and other circumstances.

Finally, we had no M-l books (that I remember). We kept our rifles spotless, kept the rifle zeroed in and the rifle did the rest.

There may be some good books, I believe in good books, very damn little else.

You've got a good attitude and good judgment in weapons. :thumbup:

Gary Hall, kindest regards and Gung Ho. Tyler, TX.

ridingcrops
09-15-09, 10:37 PM
I used am M-14 when I was in SD. We had to go to Pendelton to use the range. The Garand ia an amazing rifle and so much more accurate then the 16s were. I hope these young Marine have a better quality weapon than the old ones we used in Nam. I still can't see how anyone could use a bayonet with those dinky plastic things. But like any good Marine we hit what we aimed at, a couple of times LOL

Matt Brzycki
09-17-09, 03:44 PM
I was rifling through - no pun intended - some old papers in our building and was stunned to find a nearly mint copy of "Marine Corps Score Book: A Rifleman's Instructor" from 1912 by Captain William C Harllee. (Sold back then for a whopping 15 cents.)

Anyway, I googled it and it's actually available on-line FOR FREE. Here's the link: http://www.archive.org/details/usmarinecorpssco00harlrich

If you can't access it that way through this site, do a google for these words: Marine Corps score book 1912 harllee. Then look for the link that starts "Internet Archive: Free Download . . ."

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)