PDA

View Full Version : Jumpwings?

tate515
09-13-09, 02:12 PM
So I was talking to a good friend of mine, Sgt (ret.) who was in Force Recon and he was telling me about jumpwings. He told me they dont have a huge need but it was fun to jump every so often to keep the active status. Then I asked what about enlisted guys wanting to jump and he said no only Recon guys do. Yet I was talking to another Sgt, he's a recruiter actually and he told me that anyone can as long as they have room in the class, all you need to do it send the forms in and hope they have room.

So my question is, which one is correct?

Thank you

Tate

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-13-09, 02:17 PM
So I was talking to a good friend of mine, Sgt (ret.) who was in Force Recon and he was telling me about jumpwings. He told me they dont have a huge need but it was fun to jump every so often to keep the active status. Then I asked what about enlisted guys wanting to jump and he said no only Recon guys do. Yet I was talking to another Sgt, he's a recruiter actually and he told me that anyone can as long as they have room in the class, all you need to do it send the forms in and hope they have room.

So my question is, which one is correct?

Thank you

Tate

Only those Marines who have a need to jump will jump.

Unless you are in a special unit such as Recon, MARSOC, ANGLICO, etc etc then you will never get a chance to attend that school.

Think about it. Why would the USMC waste all that time, money, and effort to let you jump when you will never use it. This is the Marine Corps and not some weekend parachuting club where anyone can do it.

Maybe in the Army, but not in the Marine Corps.

BR34
09-13-09, 02:36 PM
I actually know quite a few Marines with jump wings that are in non-combat MOSs. One in particular is a disburser out of Pendleton.

Jump school is something that can be used as an incentive in a reenlistment, or just by luck when a slot opens up and they need an extra body to fill it.

Rooger
09-13-09, 03:19 PM
I actually know quite a few Marines with jump wings that are in non-combat MOSs. One in particular is a disburser out of Pendleton.

Jump school is something that can be used as an incentive in a reenlistment, or just by luck when a slot opens up and they need an extra body to fill it.

I was A 1371 CBT ENGR from 79-85 and at the time 2 per company were authorized jump status. I was lucky i was sitting in the company office one day when the first shirt came out of his office and said he needed 2 warm bodies to go to jump school, guess who got picked? LOL needless to say it all depends, i got lucky.

thewookie
09-13-09, 03:25 PM
I got my lead sled with Security Forces - Airborne. Many ways to become jump qualed as a Marine, but it is rare, or not that easy for non-Recon/ANGLICO guys to get'em.

commdog7
09-13-09, 03:34 PM
If you are in a non-combat mos, you will probably have to wait until you re-enlist to get a shot a jump school.

0331 2 0369
09-15-09, 08:20 AM

Very true. I have seen many quota's go to Marines as an incentive for re-enlistment. Not uncommon but hard to get when there are several wanting to re-enlist and only one or two quotas.

0161HardCharger
09-25-09, 12:32 PM
i would like to get jump wings and maybe try out for recon some day. i have been doing extra running and hitting the gym as much as i can. we don't do a lot of platoon pt most of the time it is individual so i have a lot of time to choose what to do.

is it possible for an 0161 to go recon? i like my job and know that a Marine is a Marine, but i want to be a warrior, not just a warrior postal clerk.

BR34
09-25-09, 02:27 PM
Check out MARSOC Hard Charger.

fasteropr
11-14-09, 10:32 AM
Yo! I served with 1st ANGLICO out of Camp Smith/Kaneoehe Bay, Hawaii 1964 to 1966. When I returned to Pendelton in June 0f 66, I realized quickly how coveted the Marine Corps Gold Wings are....

Zulu 36
11-14-09, 11:17 AM
Actually it is much easier to get jump school these days. When I was in if you weren't Force Recon or ANGLICO, forget it. It was not common to see very many lead sleds on Marines then because almost all were in jump billets, so they qualified for gold wings as fast as they could.

After I started sport parachuting, I looked into jump school and was basically laughed out of the place.

Recon used to hold Junior Jump Courses for people going to Ft Benning. It was a very tough conditioning course and involved a lot of the ground training that they taught at Benning. Marines were not expected to fail jump school, period. Quota's were tight.

Marines came so prepared, one of them was frequently honor grad, which ticked off the Army, of course.

Too bad, so sad. :flag:

FistFu68
11-14-09, 12:22 PM
:evilgrin: They used too give out an Award at the Formal Jump School Ft.Benning U.S.ARMY,School of Infantry.It was a Bronze Statue of a Paratrooper about 12" high the award was called The Iron Mike I was in class 40 when hearing during Jump week through scuttlebutt that a Marine was in the top 5 of the whole class of 347 Men find out a Green Beret Capt earned it.Then a Major comes up 2 me at graduation and Said Marine If YOU had been an Officer You would have taken it.What an Honor 2 just Be considered.You had too be a team Player too get the Award not a Hotdog.S/F :thumbup: :iwo:

fs19
11-14-09, 07:50 PM
I'm in a Recon Bn, and we have a hard time getting jump seats. Good luck getting them if your not in Recon or MSOB.

commdog7
11-14-09, 10:46 PM
I went skydiving a few months ago, it was awesome. I'm looking into going to Jump School as a re-enlistment incentive.

Zulu 36
11-15-09, 08:04 AM
I went skydiving a few months ago, it was awesome. I'm looking into going to Jump School as a re-enlistment incentive.

How many times did you jump?

sparkie
11-15-09, 08:06 AM
Commdog suffers from "Wing Envy".

In fact, as I recall way back then, we all did.

GIrene
11-15-09, 11:33 AM
Heh heh, I guess it'll make some envious that Jump School is on my incentives for my approved reenlistment.

Gotta get Army Strong though. I can do 10+ pullups but pushups are a bit different (slightly). Apparently the Army's requirement is like 40 some. You'll run a APFT (Army PFT) with your S-3 as part of your package to get your seat, as soon as you check in the Marine cadre will make you do another, and I'll guarantee when you class up they Army will have you do it again (and probably a few more times). The Marine cadre wants 50+ pushups. I aim for 60+.

Just gotta do the APFT with my S-3 and get a Jump Physical done so I can get those bits out of the way and route my paperwork.

FistFu68
11-15-09, 11:41 AM
:evilgrin: Ask the USMC Cadre if You have a Major Malfunction and Crash and Burn if You can bring Your 'Chute back so they can give You a New One :D :thumbup:

commdog7
11-15-09, 12:08 PM
I've only jumped once so far (did it while I was on leave), but it got me addicted. I want to get certified before I go to Jump School, which may be a little difficult to do since the MSG program has strictly banned Marines from skydiving on the program (I looked into it). I'll have to wait 'til my 3 years are up before I can move forward with the certification.

Yes, I do have wing envy. I feel so naked without those wings on my perdy uniform. :D

Zulu 36
11-15-09, 01:14 PM
I've only jumped once so far (did it while I was on leave), but it got me addicted. I want to get certified before I go to Jump School, which may be a little difficult to do since the MSG program has strictly banned Marines from skydiving on the program (I looked into it). I'll have to wait 'til my 3 years are up before I can move forward with the certification.

Yes, I do have wing envy. I feel so naked without those wings on my perdy uniform.

Was it tandem or single?

I learned the first jump isn't so scary, it's the second one that starts the knees shaking. Curiosity drives you out the door for the first jump, on the second you start thinking of all the things that can go wrong now that you aren't so curious.

GSEMarine94
11-15-09, 01:26 PM
Heh heh, I guess it'll make some envious that Jump School is on my incentives for my approved reenlistment.

Gotta get Army Strong though. I can do 10+ pullups but pushups are a bit different (slightly). Apparently the Army's requirement is like 40 some. You'll run a APFT (Army PFT) with your S-3 as part of your package to get your seat, as soon as you check in the Marine cadre will make you do another, and I'll guarantee when you class up they Army will have you do it again (and probably a few more times). The Marine cadre wants 50+ pushups. I aim for 60+.

Just gotta do the APFT with my S-3 and get a Jump Physical done so I can get those bits out of the way and route my paperwork.

Here is a calculator for the APFT, the Army usually requires a min score of a 250 to be allowed to continue on with the school.
http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/physical_training/apft-calculator-online.shtml

On a side note my brother just completed a 4 year tour with the 82nd and he said the hardest part of jump school was the fact that you run everywhere in boots and utes, so ensure your boots are broke in before you get there.

commdog7
11-15-09, 02:22 PM
Was it tandem or single?

I learned the first jump isn't so scary, it's the second one that starts the knees shaking. Curiosity drives you out the door for the first jump, on the second you start thinking of all the things that can go wrong now that you aren't so curious.

It was tandem. The place I jumped with requires you go tandem your first 2 or 3 times, after that, you can start jumping on your own (with an instructor jumping too but not attached to you).

I would've thought the first jump would be the scariest, it's where most people freak out. Once you land, you can't wait to do it again. :yes:

thewookie
11-15-09, 06:27 PM
:evilgrin: Ask the USMC Cadre if You have a Major Malfunction and Crash and Burn if You can bring Your 'Chute back so they can give You a New One :D

Jumpers HIT IT,,,,, KEEP YOUR FEET AND KNEES TOGETHER......;)