PDA

View Full Version : Leadership founded in ethics, service

thedrifter
09-12-09, 08:26 AM
Leadership founded in ethics, service

9/11/2009 By Lance Cpl. Jahn R. Kuiper , Marine Corps Base Quantico

An ethical leadership workshop was held at Expeditionary Warfare School Sept. 3 where the former Chief of Naval Operations spoke.

Retired Adm. Vern Clark’s lecture was geared toward how leadership needs to be ethically based to be effective, leaders need to be servants, and leaders must communicate effectively. Many students from the Marine Corps University and Marines from around the base came to learn from the former CNO.

"All of our operations are ethically based," said Lt. Col. John Butterworth, the deputy director of EWS. "I’m really interested to hear what the former Chief of Navy Operations has to say. I hope to get better insight on how religion plays into ethical military operations."

For every Marine our 13 leadership traits are something drilled into our head since day one of boot camp, but, Clark said, "They don’t mean anything until you make them your own. You must find out how each trait is ethically founded for yourself."

Clark talked about how ethics is defined and how they make a good leader, but the "ah ha" moment came when he spoke on how to lead Marines of the newest generation.

"When we sign up for the military we promise to serve and we sign some of our rights away," said Clark. "[The leaders] need to tell their [followers] what we can promise them back.

Diving further into the issue Clark talked about how to get the best out of a person.

"[This generation] does not want our help," stated Clark matter-of-factly. "They want us to support them, so they can figure it out on their own. Then they will reach their full potential. It’s our job as leaders to create an environment that reflects who it is we want them to be.

Ideas on how to be an improved leader were taken to heart by those who attended the workshop.

"One of things that stuck out to me was a quote by Max DuPree," said Lt. Comdr. Maurice Buford, a chaplain at MCU. "‘First you must define what reality is. Second you must always say ‘thank you.’ And in between you must always serve.’ I think the thread in speech was to always be serving."

DuPree is the author of "Leadership is Art" and "Leadership Jazz."

For Clark it was a joy to come to Quantico and speak.

"I admire the Marine Corps’ focus on ethics and I welcome the chance to speak to those who [teach] it to the best in the world."

- Correspondent: jahn.kuiper@usmc.mil

Ellie