PDA

View Full Version : class 2 swimmer

theirish35
09-11-09, 02:20 PM
i was just wondering what the qualifications are for class 2 swimmer in boot camp, and if it is something that is difficult to achieve?

TRosa06
09-11-09, 02:41 PM
When I sent through I think 6 people out of my company got 2nd class. They try to fail you for any reason they can since it's not required. If your head goes under, be prepared to get out of the pool.

theirish35
09-11-09, 02:47 PM
ok thank you for your response Marine.

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-11-09, 02:51 PM
i was just wondering what the qualifications are for class 2 swimmer in boot camp, and if it is something that is difficult to achieve?

If you can somewhat swim and are confident in the water and are allowed to, it is not hard to achieve at all.

From article...
"The second class water survival qualification is the last level recruits can obtain in boot camp. The qualification focuses on assisting an exhausted or wounded Marine to safety while wearing full combat gear.

After swimming 50 meters, recruits drag other recruits, simulating wounded Marines, 25 meters to earn the second class qualification."

Entire article with all swim qual requirements...
http://www.marines.mil/units/hqmc/tecom/mcrdsandiego/Pages/Experienceincreasesrecruitconfidenceinbasicwatersk ills.aspx

Lisa 23
09-11-09, 03:21 PM
theirish35, it would be a great idea for you to fill out the rest of your profile so the Marines who are answering your questions know who they are talking to. :thumbup:

bmcccarthy
09-11-09, 09:18 PM
The first part is a short swim with full gear...the flak, kevlar, boots and utes, and pack on your back. The pack floats though and you do this kind of bicycle motion/stroke in the water. You look dumb as hell but whatever, the trick is just to keep moving. The buddy portion you grab the other marine by the collar and drag them across the pool, so you basically sidestroke with one hand...and your buddy is holding two packs, that obviously helps with floating. If you are a confident swimmer, 2 is not bad at all, as it was for me, but it will challenge you soI would recomend putting in some time in the pool before you ship...that way when week 4 hits its not your first time being in the water after a long break.

theirish35
09-11-09, 09:27 PM
thank you very much Marines, im gonna have to start putting some time in at the YMCA in the pool