PDA

View Full Version : Any woodworkers/luthiers around here?

YutYut
09-11-09, 11:28 AM
I'm trying to find a good supplier of hardwoods suitable for musical instruments (guitar). I haven't been successful finding a supplier in my local area (Northern VA) so I've been scouting the web. Each site I've been to that sells blanks have notably different prices than the others. Anyone have some good advice?

NoRemorse
09-11-09, 11:32 AM
I'd PM SSgt Ramsey. He's a guitar afficionado and would probably have some good scoop.

ameriken
09-11-09, 12:55 PM
I'm trying to find a good supplier of hardwoods suitable for musical instruments (guitar). I haven't been successful finding a supplier in my local area (Northern VA) so I've been scouting the web. Each site I've been to that sells blanks have notably different prices than the others. Anyone have some good advice?
I'm seeing my luthier this weekend, we just put an Englemann Spruce top on my classical. I can check to see where he got it.

YutYut
09-11-09, 01:53 PM
Appreciate it, Ken. I'm going to attempt to build an electric guitar here soon and am going crazy trying to find some blanks of decent Swamp Ash for less than 80 bucks.

That was swamp ASH, not AZZ, Ray. Ya homo.

NoRemorse
09-11-09, 02:06 PM
Lame.

YutYut
09-11-09, 02:11 PM
Yeah ya are

Anyone else?

NoRemorse
09-11-09, 02:14 PM
Extra lame.

YutYut
09-11-09, 02:16 PM

Rocky C
09-11-09, 02:18 PM
NO CRABCAKES FOR YOU 2 :)
Where the F*ck is Petz already????

NoRemorse
09-11-09, 02:20 PM
NO CRABCAKES FOR YOU 2 :)
Where the F*ck is Petz already????

Probably moving... and I'll have like a 3 hour head start on them crabcakes bro :D

YutYut
09-11-09, 02:22 PM
Probably moving... and I'll have like a 3 hour head start on them crabcakes bro :D

Yeah, I'll be atleast 6 crab cakes and a case of beer into it by the time I see either of you yahoos.

Rocky C
09-11-09, 02:29 PM
Southwest Airlines Non Stop to Ocean City Maryland Now Boarding!!!

Sir, Sir, you cannot bring a Cooler on the Plane as a Carry-on.

OH!!! Sorry Rocky, you know where to put it, said the Redheaded Bimbo as she reapplied her Lip Gloss :)

NoRemorse
09-11-09, 02:32 PM
Look, you guys get the coolers filled, I'll get like 8 pizza pies from Famous Ray's and a couple of grinders/heroes/hoagies.

Ken, I'd suggest you hop on a flight to Ocean City post haste and meet us at the Penthouse of whichever hotel has the biggest hot tub cause there's gonna be a line of b1tches going out the door.

YutYut
09-11-09, 02:43 PM
Look, you guys get the coolers filled, I'll get like 8 pizza pies from Famous Ray's and a couple of grinders/heroes/hoagies.

Ken, I'd suggest you hop on a flight to Ocean City post haste and meet us at the Penthouse of whichever hotel has the biggest hot tub cause there's gonna be a line of b1tches going out the door.

They're subs, where I come from...

This is really starting to come together. I just hope these b1tches you speak of are hot. I'm still amazed natural selection hasn't weeded out the ugly b1tches yet.

Rocky C
09-11-09, 02:47 PM
Yut, sorry to jack your thread Bro. All I remember is seeing something about "WOOD" working and my mind went right to the Bimbos :)

ameriken
09-11-09, 02:47 PM
I'm still amazed natural selection hasn't weeded out the ugly b1tches yet.
The army needs women too.

YutYut
09-11-09, 02:50 PM
Yut, sorry to jack your thread Bro. All I remember is seeing something about "WOOD" working and my mind went right to the Bimbos :)

Ha, no worries Rocky. If I'll spam the board with new threads until someone responds on topic with some definitive information or until a mod gets p1ssed.
:thumbup:

SSgt Ramsey
09-11-09, 03:40 PM
Check out Grizzly Tool online....they have blanks etc. in both traditional and exotic species...

$80 for a full sized body-blank is the low end of the spectrum as far as quality tone-wood and grain tightness, I'd spring for a higher quality of wood....

Also, balance out what you are building and what your expectations are, meaning, a maple body will sound differently with a Floyd, Kahler, vintage trem etc. vice swamp-ash compared to mahogany etc.

Some other good resources are Stewmac, Warmoth, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some...

And no, I have not done any complete builds, nor intend to....I have done restorations and rescues on some guitars to save them, but never a complete build from the ground up....just too much work and too many chances to screw it up for me....good luck though....

Rocky C
09-11-09, 03:48 PM
Sam,
Can you get exotic woods for a Body Blank?
Now that Yut brought it up, I'd like to try a project like that.
Rocky

YutYut
09-11-09, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the recommendations.

My expectations are pretty low given the limited space and tool collection. I'm not expecting anything great out of this. This is more an exercise in learning.

I've checked out Stew Mac and Warmoth already. I'll have to check out Grizzly. I get their catalogs but had no idea they sold lumber of any sort.

I'm almost guaranteed to screw this one up since I don't even have a proper area to work on it. That's why I'm not looking for high quality wood. For this build, I'd like to use swamp ash for the body, maple for the neck and an ebony fretboard. I'll also find out how bad I am at cutting MoP and inlaying in general.

Thanks again!

SSgt Ramsey
09-11-09, 03:54 PM
Yes Rocky, you can, but they can be very expensive....

A lot of independent builders are using exotic South American and African hardwoods i.e. GMW Guitarworks and also Anderson...

Bubinga is a new one that I have seen used, it's a relative of mahogany but more rare....

Ebony and rosewood are getting very pricey now with their depleted numbers of adult trees to harvest.....

Rocky C
09-11-09, 03:55 PM
Found One!!!

http://www.mammothguitars.com/bodyblanks.php

Rocky C
09-11-09, 03:58 PM
Yes Rocky, you can, but they can be very expensive....

A lot of independent builders are using exotic South American and African hardwoods i.e. GMW Guitarworks and also Anderson...

Bubinga is a new one that I have seen used, it's a relative of mahogany but more rare....

Ebony and rosewood are getting very pricey now with their depleted numbers of adult trees to harvest.....

Thanks Sam,
Bubinga would be Beautiful but isn't it dangerous to work with???
I heard you have to wear a respirator because of the dust.
I'm gonna check it out.
What a Great Guitar that would make.

SSgt Ramsey
09-11-09, 04:05 PM
Rocky, I have no idea bro...I've never played one with that wood, only seen pics of them and am not aware of the safety issues with them.

I've seen some pics from GMW with Bubinga and it was gorgeous...Lee Garver, the owner of GMW, is a awesome independent builder who I think will become more and more popular in the near future competing against Suhr, Anderson, Grosh, and others....and Lee's a really cool guy....

Rocky C
09-11-09, 04:08 PM
I have to see one now.
I tried Google and it didn't come up with anything.
I'll try GMW.
Thanks Sam!!!

YutYut
09-11-09, 04:10 PM
Thanks Sam,
Bubinga would be Beautiful but isn't it dangerous to work with???
I heard you have to wear a respirator because of the dust.
I'm gonna check it out.
What a Great Guitar that would make.

That's probably true. There are a lot of domestic and exotic woods that are toxic, so google it to be sure. If you can't find anything, definitely be safe and wear one.

Rocky C
09-11-09, 04:13 PM
Found It!!!

http://www.sheppardguitars.com/bubinga.htm

SSgt Ramsey
09-11-09, 04:25 PM
Here's GMW G0109 custom 12-string in Bubinga body with snakewood laminate top and back...and the inlays....Lee is incredible...

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/GMWFPics/1g0109d.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/GMWFPics/1g0109c.jpg

From Lee:

"Since that wood is super hard and dense, it's extremely lively in terms of the tonality. So it makes for a great sounding chambered 12-string. It's similar to a dense/heavy wood such as ebony or cocobolo.

Lee"

Rocky C
09-11-09, 05:05 PM
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!
What a Beautiful wood and what a Craftsman.
You were right Sam!!!
Thanks Bro,
Semper Fi,
Rocky

Quinbo
09-11-09, 05:14 PM
A very close friend of mine and also a guitar fan lives about 45 minutes south of woodbridge. He and I were in the Marines together. Anyway ... he would be a good POC for your questions and has a decent shop in his garage. If nothing else he's a good fella to tip a few with. He has a band that plays some of the beer joints in the Fredericksburg area. I could PM you his name and number.

YutYut
09-11-09, 07:38 PM
Send it brother. I'm always up for talking with and having a beer with another Marine!

ameriken
09-15-09, 08:25 PM
YY, here are the places my luthier uses:

Stewart MacDonalds and Luthier Mercantile

When I mentioned the price you're looking for, he said "Good luck with that, you're gonna get what you pay for".