PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 attacks were turning point in young man's life

thedrifter
09-11-09, 08:15 AM
9/11 attacks were turning point in young man's life

By Andy Rathbun, Herald Writer
MUKILTEO — Chris Yeakel was 17 when he signed his life over to the United States government.

He enlisted in the U.S. Marines in May, at the end of his junior year at Kamiak High School. His reason was simple. He felt called to serve.

“Everybody wants to be recognized for something, and everybody wants to be a hero,” Chris said. “And I just felt that was my way I could be a hero, to just be a normal person and just help all the people I can.”

In some respects, he came to that realization because of Sept. 11, 2001, which marks its eighth anniversary today.

Chris was in fourth grade in 2001. He walked into his parents' bedroom that morning. The news was on.

“I remember it pretty clear,” said Chris, now 18 and a senior. “I looked on the TV — it was what, 8 or 9 o'clock? — and I see a building on fire.”

The terrorist strikes killed more than 2,900 and led the U.S. into two wars that have spanned Chris' adolescence. His father, Bob Yeakel, called Sept. 11 itself a “center point” in his son's life.

“My impression is that never dissipated with Chris, that whole event, and the patriotism, getting the flag out,” he said. “He's the one that's continued to encourage us to fly our flag.”

Chris said he started seriously considering enlistment when he was a teenager. His grandfather, Bill Yeakel, had served as a Marine drill instructor during the Korean War. The branch's toughness appealed to Chris, a wide receiver on Kamiak's football team.

He visited a recruiter, who invited him to attend weekend workouts. Those also appealed to Chris, who prefers running laps to reading books.

“I like school and all, but I don't want to go through more and more school, homework stress and whatnot,” he said this Wednesday. “I'd rather do more physical stress, have adventures.”

He decided to enlist shortly after his grandfather died during his sophomore year. To prepare, he kept exercising. His shoulders broadened. His grip strengthened. Football became “a piece of cake,” he said. He wrote “USMC” in small print above his bed.

Chris officially enlisted on May 16, 2009. He signed his name “at least 100 times” over the course of two days. He went through physical and mental exams. He was vetted by gunnery sergeants. Finally, he was approved.

“It was exciting,” he said.

He isn't alone in the experience. The Marines have met or exceeded their enlistment goals in the Seattle area since 9/11, according to Staff Sgt. Virgil Richardson, a marketing director for the branch.

Nationwide, enlistment has also held fairly strong. The military was on pace this spring to meet its recruitment goal of 180,000 people, according to the American Forces Press Service.

Chris' parents weren't surprised their son was among those enlistees. While neither served in the military, both realized their son had his reasons for attending the Marine workouts.

“He's very focused and very passionate about serving the country,” said Charlene Yeakel. “He's very patriotic. You hate to throw that word around, but he is.”

Chris expects his senior year will be a breeze. And then? Well, a month after graduation, he heads to California for 13 weeks of boot camp.

“I'll be waking up early every morning, really, really working my butt off, getting yelled at every day, not going to bed when I want, not doing what I want, not even being recognized as a person anymore, being a recruit instead,” he said.

He plans to join the infantry. Then he suspects he will be sent overseas.

“I'm excited to serve,” he said. “Scared for war, though.”

He is braced for hot days and cold nights in Afghanistan, one possible deployment. He said he doesn't want to kill, but if someone points a gun at him, he will shoot.

“I'll remember I'm doing it for my country, and my family, and all my friends' families, and everybody that lives here.”

Andy Rathbun: 425-339-3455, arathbun@heraldnet.com

Sept. 11 events

People around Snohomish County and Camano Island are planning events to mark today's anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Firefighters in north Snohomish County and Camano Island plan to gather for a memorial at 11 a.m. today at the Stanwood Fire Station, 8117 267th St. NW.

Snohomish County Fire District 1 stations plan to hold a ceremony beginning at 6:55 a.m. today, gathering at the flagpole at each of the district stations to observe a moment of silence.

The Stanwood-Camano Ministerial Association plans to conduct a 24-hour prayer vigil for peace beginning at 12:01 a.m. today in the yurt at Josephine Sunset Home, 9901 272nd Place NW, Stanwood.

Gov. Chris Gregoire has directed that flags at state buildings be lowered to half-staff today.

Naval Station Everett plans to hold a short remembrance ceremony at 8 a.m. today. Capt. Thomas Mascolo, the base's commanding officer, plans to speak. The event is not open to the public.

Ellie