PDA

View Full Version : Weight Lifting

eleventen32
09-10-09, 07:33 PM
Good evening Marines,

I have been a poolee for a few months now. I go to PT every Saturday and also run 1 1/2 or 3 miles on my own about 3 times a week. My 1 1/2 mile run, crunches, and pull ups have all improved.

Earlier today I was at the gym and I found that I am really weak when it comes to benching and doing squats. (I am 5'10, 145 lbs.) I don't know much about weight lifting and was wondering if any Marines could give me some advice and a work out plan. I am going to be quitting my job about a month prior to my ship date to focus solely on working out, so it would be cool to have a good daily work out plan to follow.

Thanks

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-10-09, 07:43 PM
According to your stats you are physically fine. I never lifted any weights prior to me enlisting and I did fine. Boot camp and the USMC is not about muscles.

I would ask someone at the gym that knows about workouts since they are there with you and can see what you need to work on.

SlingerDun
09-10-09, 08:38 PM
Check this out; Most health clubs offer a tour of the place and many offer a complimentary work out, week or longer "free" membership or whatever.

A trainer might guide you through a weight training routine and then present you with a contract. If you can politely say thanks for your time but i'm going to continue my search, and walk away with basic ideas about how to workout with weights it might be worth the hassle of sitting through the sales pitch.

--->Dave

eleventen32
09-11-09, 11:07 AM
I never thought about trying the free health club membership idea. Thanks for the advice Marines.

Also for any poolees reading this thread in search of weight lifting help: Check out www.bodyspace.com -Someone just told me about that site today and it seems like its got some good information.

Lisa 23
09-11-09, 11:22 AM
Off subject a little bit, but I see that your birthday falls on the Marine Corps birthday. Don't see that to often.

bmcccarthy
09-11-09, 09:21 PM
If you have no experience lifting, without a doubt get with a trainer at the gym or a Marine at your station who can show you the ropes. Weight Lifting will do nothing but help you in the long run as long as you can work at it the right way. PM me if you need some tips.

brian0351
09-12-09, 12:39 AM
What MOS have you signed up for?

Your IST scores are close to perfect and you shouldn't have any trouble with the physical part of boot.

I am pre-crucible, so I don't know how physically demanding that is. Just remember that running and weight lifting are counter productive. It's hard to find a balance between the two. I would stick to what your doing. Try to get those last two pullups and better your run time. Your PFT carries alot of weight through the Marines.
Make sure your eating alot of lean protein. Your muscles will build themselves.

eleventen32
09-13-09, 06:01 PM
What MOS have you signed up for?

Your IST scores are close to perfect and you shouldn't have any trouble with the physical part of boot.

I am pre-crucible, so I don't know how physically demanding that is. Just remember that running and weight lifting are counter productive. It's hard to find a balance between the two. I would stick to what your doing. Try to get those last two pullups and better your run time. Your PFT carries alot of weight through the Marines.
Make sure your eating alot of lean protein. Your muscles will build themselves.

I will definitely start eating more lean protein and will also work on my IST scores.

My MOS should be Intel very soon. It is not guaranteed yet but I should be signing the paperwork within the next couple weeks. (I was told this is because we are waiting on available job openings due to the new fiscal year.)

Thanks for the information Sgt.