PDA

View Full Version : GI bill benefits now available to dependents

thedrifter
09-10-09, 08:38 AM
GI bill benefits now available to dependents

9/9/2009 By Lance Cpl. Amy A. Trail , Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point

Military parents who have children going to college can breathe a little bit easier as of Aug. 1, due to the post 9-11 G.I. bill transferability of educational benefits.

“I think the ability to transfer my benefits to my dependents is the greatest benefit I have yet to receive in the Marine Corps,” said Master Sgt. Michael Arkin, Cherry Point’s equal opportunity advisor. “I already have my degree and this allows me to put my son through college and relieves some of the stress involved with that.”

The bill allows eligible Marines to transfer all, or a portion of, their educational benefits to dependents. For a Marine to be eligible to transfer his benefits he must be currently serving in the Armed forces, be eligible for reenlistment or extension, and his dependents must be enrolled in the DEERS program at the time of transfer. Eligible dependents include the Marine’s spouse and one or more of the Marine’s children.

“If a Marine is eligible to transfer his benefits, he needs to do it now,” said Capt. Elizabeth Snyder, the air station adjutant. “A Marine cannot transfer to his dependents once he is out.”

Applications to transfer benefits are submitted through the Transfer of Educational Benefits Web site, http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/TEB (the TEB must be in capital letters). A Marine can access the Web site by using his common access card or myPay PIN.

A Marine transferring the benefits must designate the dependents, number of months of educational entitlements to be transferred and specify the period of use. The transfer of entitlements cannot exceed the number of months of unused entitlement.

New dependents can be added and entitlements changed or revoked at the Web site while still serving in the Armed Forces, once the request has been submitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs as approved by your command.

Once a Marine becomes retired or separated, the veteran must submit a request in writing to the Department of Veterans Affairs to modify or revoke entitlements.

According to MARADMIN 0421/09, active Marines are generally required to agree to an additional service agreement.

“Officers need to pay special attention to their prior service obligations, because if they are required to serve additional years in order to transfer, the additional years from the transfer will not start until after their current obligation,” said Snyder.

A Marine who fails to complete the additional service agreement, may result in an overpayment of entitlements and is subject to collection by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Headquarters Marine Corps highly urges Marines to consult with the unit’s career planner before applying or making any decisions.

Ellie