PDA

View Full Version : 03XX Career Possibilities

AndrewMacieira
09-10-09, 08:18 AM
What type of jobs can open up in the civilian world with an Infantry background?

samthomas
09-10-09, 11:25 AM
police officer or security guard...infantry is what you make out of it. You will have the opportunity to learn and practice leadership, which can be taken into any field. I was an 0311, and am now a manager for a large social services organization. The skills don't necessarily transfer on paper, but I have been grateful for the experience.

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-10-09, 12:41 PM
What type of jobs can open up in the civilian world with an Infantry background?

The same ones that would open up if you had never served.

Most employers do not care what you did in the military as long as it was an HONORABLE service.

When you leave the USMC it is up to you to get a job. There are people who were in the 03xx field and today work in all aspects of life and there are those who are homeless or in prison. This isn't a direct result of the USMC, it is just where they were destined to be regardless of their service.

Alot of people who served in the military particularly the infantry end up in law enforcement. Do you know why? It's not because law enforcement loves to hire veterans, it's because this is where they most likely would of ended up if they did not serve. The military gives them that extra motivation, maturity, and push to seek these jobs once they get out.

For many leaving the infantry/military and entering law enforcement is a natural thing because law enforcement is the closest thing to infantry in the civilian world.

Just remember not all of us are made to be police officers. And don't go into the USMC thinking that just because you serve, your future is now set because it is not. In the end you have to get out there and get hired with your "people" skills.

The better question to ask is this>> "What job do you want to do once you get out?"..you should have the motivation by then to pursue whatever job you want.

AndrewMacieira
09-10-09, 04:58 PM
The same ones that would open up if you had never served.

Most employers do not care what you did in the military as long as it was an HONORABLE service.

When you leave the USMC it is up to you to get a job. There are people who were in the 03xx field and today work in all aspects of life and there are those who are homeless or in prison. This isn't a direct result of the USMC, it is just where they were destined to be regardless of their service.

Alot of people who served in the military particularly the infantry end up in law enforcement. Do you know why? It's not because law enforcement loves to hire veterans, it's because this is where they most likely would of ended up if they did not serve. The military gives them that extra motivation, maturity, and push to seek these jobs once they get out.

For many leaving the infantry/military and entering law enforcement is a natural thing because law enforcement is the closest thing to infantry in the civilian world.

Just remember not all of us are made to be police officers. And don't go into the USMC thinking that just because you serve, your future is now set because it is not. In the end you have to get out there and get hired with your "people" skills.

The better question to ask is this>> "What job do you want to do once you get out?"..you should have the motivation by then to pursue whatever job you want.

Thank you Marines. Your post was quite beneficial. Well I plan on taking it a step at a time. I'll see how the Military plays out for me. While im active duty im going to strive to attain at least an associates degree. I plan on using the G.I. Bill to the fullest as well. All I hear is that education is the key and even though going to school again is not what I "really" want, it can't hurt. And it will be nothing but beneficial.

My adequate career would involve being physical, active and a leader. Hence, one of the few reasons I signed up for the USMC. I'll see how things play out by my 5 year goal would be at least a Bachelors degree in Political Science or Criminal Justice. That would give me plenty of options because my main interests are Politics and Law, along with my love for physical fitness.

Like I said, i'll play with what is dealt to me. One step at a time. I couldn't have it any other way than the Marines as a foundation for life. The values and discipline that will be instilled in me is something i'd pay for if I had the means. And the USMC paying for my education as well? I don't want to be a dumb Marine, I want to be educated.

AndrewMacieira
09-10-09, 06:28 PM
This might seem a little off topic but on the new G.I. Bill amendments, it claims you are allowed a BAH Monthly Living Stipend. It words it as an "allowance." Averages $1200 a month. Do any Marines that have taken advantage of this oportunity know whether that is deposited into your bank account for your to use for rent and you keep the leftovers or its paid directly to your landlord a figure of up to $1200.

Thank you Marines.

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-10-09, 07:33 PM
Thank you Marines. Your post was quite beneficial. Well I plan on taking it a step at a time. I'll see how the Military plays out for me. While im active duty im going to strive to attain at least an associates degree. I plan on using the G.I. Bill to the fullest as well. All I hear is that education is the key and even though going to school again is not what I "really" want, it can't hurt. And it will be nothing but beneficial

Once again it is you who has to go out and get a job and live a life. Just because you get a college degree does not mean anything the same way that just serving in the USMC won't mean anything unless you can sell yourself to your future employers.

Don't go to school because everyone is telling you to. Learn to live your life and not the life others want you to live. School like the military is not for everyone.

Like you said, take it one step at a time and let it all play out.

samthomas
09-10-09, 09:30 PM
This might seem a little off topic but on the new G.I. Bill amendments, it claims you are allowed a BAH Monthly Living Stipend. It words it as an "allowance." Averages $1200 a month. Do any Marines that have taken advantage of this oportunity know whether that is deposited into your bank account for your to use for rent and you keep the leftovers or its paid directly to your landlord a figure of up to $1200.

Thank you Marines.

I don't know anything about the new GI Bill. I would suggest that you not focus on the potential benefits, when you have yet to serve a day. Become a Marine, serve your nation, and then worry about what you will get as a benefit. If you are so concerned about the money, please join the National Guard. There is no telling what the benefit will look like in 4+ years.

brian0351
09-11-09, 01:30 AM
Andrew,

If your going infantry...you can forget about any type of school. You'll be lucky if you have enough time for ONE class much less than a whole degree. There is no way to make a schedule in the infantry. One week your back at the barracks...the next your in the field. The schedule is different from week to week.

Try something non-combat arms if education is whats important to you.