PDA

View Full Version : Wayne County soldier survives blast in Afghanistan

thedrifter
09-09-09, 08:47 AM
Wayne County soldier survives blast in Afghanistan
By Josh Mrozinski (Staff Writer)
Published: September 9, 2009

It felt like he had been hit by a truck.

Cpl. Joe Tarkett came away from the Aug. 17 blast with shrapnel wounds, and he couldn't see out of one eye.

The 2003 Wallenpaupack Area High School graduate, a Marine, was injured when a 30-pound improvised explosive device detonated near him while on patrol in Afghanistan last month.

But he considers himself fortunate. A friend, Matt Lembke, did not survive when he stepped on an IED during a separate incident.

"Just like that, I lost a good friend," Cpl. Tarkett, 24, said. "I feel lucky to be here today. You definitely have a greater respect for life, and you appreciate the small things."

Cpl. Tarkett continues to recover from his injuries. And after finishing his tour with the Marine Corps in November 2010, Cpl. Tarkett, who will now be stationed in Hawaii, said he intends to complete college.

Four years ago, Cpl. Tarkett said he cut short his study of education at Lackawanna College and enlisted in the Marines to see the world and to challenge himself.

In May, he was stationed in Afghanistan at Delaram as a squad leader with the 2nd Battalion, Third Marines.

In Delaram, Cpl. Tarkett said soldiers worked to improve security ahead of the election and interacted with local residents.

"I taught one kid to say one to 10 in English, and he taught me to say one to 10 in his language," Cpl. Tarkett said.

Noting the Taliban blended in with the general population at times, Cpl. Tarkett said the Taliban also gave people money to put bombs in roads and to raise poppy seeds rather than wheat.

On Aug. 17, Cpl. Tarkett was on patrol with his unit when the IED exploded and threw him onto the ground.

"I didn't step on anything," Cpl. Tarkett said. "Somebody (behind a wall) pushed a button when I was near the explosive."

Since arriving home about two weeks ago from Germany, where he was treated for his injuries, Cpl. Tarkett has spent time with family and friends.

He has also kept in touch with members of his battalion in Afghanistan.

"I was away from my family while I was over there in Afghanistan, and now I'm away from my second family," Cpl. Tarkett said.

Contact the writer: jmrozinski@timesshamrock.com

Ellie