PDA

View Full Version : GI bill allows vets to attend private schools

thedrifter
09-09-09, 08:38 AM
GI bill allows vets to attend private schools
By Coulter Jones (Staff Writer)
Published: September 9, 2009

DALLAS - Courtney Allen listened to her classmates at Misericordia University describe how part of their college tuition would be covered by an expanded veterans assistance program and grew intrigued.

The 25-year-old Wyoming County native is starting her second semester studying social work at Misericordia and has been active in the Pennsylvania National Guard for seven years.

"I think it's a great program," Allen said. "I'd love to see it expanded. It would help me with my expenses greatly. I've looked at applying, but am on a waiting list."

Three Misericordia students benefitting from the program joined U.S. Rep. Chris Carney, D-Dimock Township, and ROTC advisor Master Sgt. Chris Brownawell for a panel discussion about the Post-9/11 Veterans Educations Assistance Act, also known as the Yellow Ribbon Program. Under the act, veterans and active reservists who meet certain service requirements can receive funding to attend private or public schools participating in the program.

Previously, federal funding for veterans' tuition would be limited to state or public schools. A housing allowance and book stipend is included in the Yellow Ribbon Act, and veterans qualify to receive money for tuition from Veterans Affairs, which is matched by the private schools.

This marks the first semester students at Misericordia are using funding from the Yellow Ribbon Program.

"This allows veterans to have a greater choice," Carney said. "Really, it's a thank you for their service."

Misericordia University is offering $4,500 in tuition benefits for up to 25 eligible veterans. Only three have confirmed for this semester, according to the school, but other students could have qualified but their paperwork hasn't been processed yet.

Jessica Pugliese, 26, of Scranton, who served in the Marines, is starting her first semester at Misericordia studying medical imaging. She attended other schools, but said she couldn't afford tuition without additional funding.

"It's a large relief knowing that I won't have to worry about how I'm going to pay for school," Pugliese said. "With the economy as it is, it's nice to know I'll be OK."

David Gates, 23, of Edwardsville, who served in the Marines from 2004 to 2008, said he wouldn't be able to attend Misericordia without funding in the Yellow Ribbon Program. He enlisted in Marines, in part, to pay for school. He didn't expect to see the additional funding to attend Misericordia.

"I would be at another school probably," he said "but this allowed me to choose the college that was the best fit for me."

Joseph Frank, 24, of Kingston, who served in the Navy, said he wouldn't be at Misericordia without funding from the program.

In addition to Misericordia, Penn State Wilkes-Barre, Wilkes University and King's College in Luzerne County, as well as Scranton University in Lackawanna County, are guaranteeing funding from the program. Each school dictates how much funding it will match and how many students will be accepted.

Carney, who is a commander in the Navy Reserve, said funding programs like this are essential investments.

"If you could point to one single public policy that propelled this nation forward in the global economy … it would be the GI bill," Carney said. "I think this program will prove to be very successful. As we see it work, we will see the benefits in our economy."

cjones@citizensvoice.com, 570-821-2110

Ellie