PDA

View Full Version : More than one 300 PFT

Mako
09-08-09, 07:09 PM
Good Evening Marines,

I am new to this site but have been browsing regularly on it for a few months now. From what I have researched, there is a meritorious promotion awarded for a perfect score on the PFT in recruit training. My question is, when in Boot Camp, if 2 or more recruits score a 300 on the PFT, how is the meritorious promotion sorted out? Are they both awarded it? Through the Iron Man Competition? Or Senior Drill Instructors discretion? I ask this in hope of obtaining a perfect score.

Thank you Marines.:flag:

BR34
09-08-09, 08:22 PM
There's more than 1 slot for meritorious promotions. And you don't have to have a 300 pft go get it. You just have to be above average.

dizark
09-08-09, 08:29 PM
Yup, iron man is 285 or higher.

WKranz
09-08-09, 09:14 PM
The way it worked when I was there was whoever had the most pullups outta all the 300s got it.

Mako
09-08-09, 10:48 PM
There's more than 1 slot for meritorious promotions. And you don't have to have a 300 pft go get it. You just have to be above average.

There is more than one meritorious promotion concerning multiple high PFT's? or as in, High rifle range scores, honor man, etc.

TRosa06
09-08-09, 11:03 PM
The way it worked when we were doing our final PFT (end of February) was they scored it past 300. It still technically ended at 300 but they would add 1 point for each additional crunch and 5 points for each additional pull-up, than they scored in the run time as well. Whoever had the highest score was the company high PFTer.

Petz
09-08-09, 11:06 PM
um, if you get break the record for most of which ever event then you get a meritorious promotion to Pvt....

Poolee, if you go in giving it all you got expecting a promotion then you aren't gonna get it.... they'll know you are a grubby little recruit and they won't let you have it. they did that to our guide.

Just go and get the title and the Promotions will come with time. trust me when I tell you that you won't get promoted to Cpl any faster than your peers will.

Petz
09-08-09, 11:07 PM
The way it worked when we were doing our final PFT (end of February) was they scored it past 300. It still technically ended at 300 but they would add 1 point for each additional crunch and 5 points for each additional pull-up, than they scored in the run time as well. Whoever had the highest score was the company high PFTer.

a point for every 10 seconds is the rule, incase you ever want to figure out what your score is right after you run a PFT.

wait, or is it every 6... damn it!

Mako
09-09-09, 10:23 AM
Poolee, if you go in giving it all you got expecting a promotion then you aren't gonna get it.... they'll know you are a grubby little recruit and they won't let you have it. they did that to our guide.

Just go and get the title and the Promotions will come with time. trust me when I tell you that you won't get promoted to Cpl any faster than your peers will.

Thank you for the advice Staff Sergeant. I understand what you mean by this. I was just curious is all.

BR34
09-09-09, 10:58 AM
You don't have to excel at any 1 thing to get merit promoted in boot camp. Being good at many things will get you further than being excellent at 1 thing. You're going to want to be well rounded. If you get a 300 PFT and you unk swim qual and and the rifle you probably shouldn't expect a meritorious promotion.

Mako
09-09-09, 11:30 AM
You don't have to excel at any 1 thing to get merit promoted in boot camp. Being good at many things will get you further than being excellent at 1 thing. You're going to want to be well rounded. If you get a 300 PFT and you unk swim qual and and the rifle you probably shouldn't expect a meritorious promotion.

Thank you for the response Corporal. I do not expect to get a meritorious promotion. Just wondering how it would work. I understand being highly qualified in many aspects is better than just one. And is better for promotion in the long run.

Matt Brzycki
09-09-09, 03:25 PM

So that recruit who set the record of 76 pull-ups woulda gotten 280 more points for doing 56 pull-ups past 20 . . . for a total of 380 points just from pull-ups? Wow!

Wonder what he scored in the rest of the PFT.

Also, anyone know what the record for pull-ups is by a recruit at Parris Island?

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

tangovictor87
09-09-09, 04:20 PM
the record at PI is 131 last i heard.

TRosa06 has the right idea. however i think it was the run time that was the deciding factor.

it is 1 point for every 10 seconds on the run.

are they running the cft in boot now?

Petz
09-09-09, 04:29 PM
that's MCRDSD I thought. He's from canton, MI or somewhere near here.

Matt Brzycki
09-09-09, 07:36 PM
that's MCRDSD I thought. He's from canton, MI or somewhere near here.

Hmmmmm. Okay, I went back and checked the thread about the recruit setting the record of 76. It was at MCRDSD. However, I just noticed the date of the thread: 2002. So it's possible that the record has since been broken.

Ya know, I could swear that I read in the depot newspaper that a recruit did around 130 when I served from 75-79. Thing is, I don't remember if it was at PI when I returned there for a month in Dec 75 for a school or at SD in 78-79 when I was a DI. The old memory chip ain't what it used to be.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

Hologram
09-09-09, 08:28 PM
the record at PI is 131 last i heard.

TRosa06 has the right idea. however i think it was the run time that was the deciding factor.

it is 1 point for every 10 seconds on the run.

are they running the cft in boot now?
Yes they are, but I ran it before the scoring system came in.

I don't think you were penalized for failing it either, but I'm not entirely sure on that one.

Matt Brzycki
09-09-09, 08:29 PM
Hate to follow-up myself but I did some googling and found intel on this pull-up record, at least at MCRD SD. The earliest record I could find was 65 pull-ups set in 1999. Seth Redford (Irvine CA?) set a new record of 76 in 2002. That record was broken by Thomas Worthington (Chino CA) who did 91. And that record was broken by Colin Bell (Ann Arbor MI) who did 131.

Still don't know the record at MCRD PI.

Side note: In an article on Bell, some poser posted a comment saying that "doing 131 pull-ups is not that great of an accomplishment... as a matter of fact, I did 132 pull-ups last weekend in under 15 minutes!!!" The poser also said that he "volunteered for the marine corp, and was a highly decorated soldier."

He exposed himself too easily. He . . .

1. didn't capitalize Marine Corps;
2. spelled Corps without the "s";
3. said he was in the [Marine Corps] but then a "soldier";
4. implied that you can get on and off the pull-up bar and keep counting the repetitions showing he's got no idea how a USMC PFT is conducted.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-09-09, 08:39 PM
Hate to follow-up myself but I did some googling and found intel on this pull-up record, at least at MCRD SD. The earliest record I could find was 65 pull-ups set in 1999. Seth Redford (Irvine CA?) set a new record of 76 in 2002. That record was broken by Thomas Worthington (Chino CA) who did 91. And that record was broken by Colin Bell (Ann Arbor MI) who did 131.

Where did you find this info?

I actually sent a message to MCRD and I asked them if they can provide me with the depot's records. Lets see what they return with.

Hologram
09-09-09, 08:46 PM
I believe that while I was there the record was broken. It might have been Bell that did it, actually.

Can you get a date on Bell's 131 pullups, Sgt?

Matt Brzycki
09-09-09, 09:21 PM
Where did you find this info?

I actually sent a message to MCRD and I asked them if they can provide me with the depot's records. Lets see what they return with.

I did a number of different googles. Started googling with something like this: pull-ups record Marine San Diego recruit 131. That gave me info on Bell as well as the record that he broke (91 pull-ups). I took that intel and did another google. IOW, I kept working backwards until it led back to Redford's 76.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-09-09, 09:33 PM
I did a number of different googles. Started googling with something like this: pull-ups record Marine San Diego recruit 131. That gave me info on Bell as well as the record that he broke (91 pull-ups). I took that intel and did another google. IOW, I kept working backwards until it led back to Redford's 76.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

Ok thanks. I just found it.
https://www.marines.usmc.mil/NinjaWarrior.html

The best part is that he is a POG. That is awesome.

tangovictor87
09-09-09, 09:41 PM
Side note: In an article on Bell, some poser posted a comment saying that "doing 131 pull-ups is not that great of an accomplishment... as a matter of fact, I did 132 pull-ups last weekend in under 15 minutes!!!" The poser also said that he "volunteered for the marine corp, and was a highly decorated soldier."

He exposed himself too easily. He . . .

1. didn't capitalize Marine Corps;
2. spelled Corps without the "s";
3. said he was in the [Marine Corps] but then a "soldier";
4. implied that you can get on and off the pull-up bar and keep counting the repetitions showing he's got no idea how a USMC PFT is conducted.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

i saw that mother fvcker. sounds like some high schooler wanna be.

Matt Brzycki
09-10-09, 06:45 PM
I believe that while I was there the record was broken. It might have been Bell that did it, actually.

Can you get a date on Bell's 131 pullups, Sgt?

Looks like it was 27 Dec 08.

I also see where he scored a 288 in the PFT. Just a wild guess, but I bet he did 100 crunches for 100 points and ran 20:00 for 88.

Anyway, if he got 5 pts for every pull-up after 20, he woulda gotten another 555 pts [111 pull-ups x 5 pts/pull-up] tacked on to his 288 for a grand total of 843 pts!!!!

I'd give him a stripe for that.

Also, these woulda been legitimate dead-hang pull-ups, correct? Didn't they tighten up the rules on pull-ups so there's no kipping, bicycling or whatever? No offense to anyone but seeing someone kip during pull-ups drives me completely nuts. But I guess that's another thread.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

Petz
09-10-09, 09:10 PM
I read it in a local paper here, it's posted in EVERY RSS in Detroit. The Marines name is Bell, but I can't give you a date, think it around a year ago now.

they had him infront of the records board and the 3 mile record is 14 something.... that's pretty damn fast. I think the sit-ups was around 200 or something, that didn't interest me as much as the pull-ups and run time.

Bell has been into rock climbing since he was like 13 or something so that is why he capable of doing 131 pull-ups, so now you all can say "ahhhhhhhhhh, that explains it."

Semper have a good day.