PDA

View Full Version : What now?

nrml1
09-08-09, 12:27 PM
Good Morning Marines,

I think it is quite obvious that the Marine Corps has met its recruitment goals for, well, I'd say years. So for people like me, 26yo, within weight requirements can pass the IST minus the pullups--what now?

Were I 18 years old, 22 or even 24 years old I wouldn't even be typing this but unlike individuals who are that old I don't have the time to wait. My goal is the United States Marine Corps, I don't fit in the Coast Guard, U.S. Army, Air Force or Navy they just don't fit with my philosophy.

So again, for someone like me, what now? I will not accept failure, I will be a U.S. Marine the question now is how?

Any ideas you ladies and gentlemen can provide me with would be appreciated.

nrml1
San Diego, CA
72" - 210lbs

slimmy07
09-08-09, 12:34 PM
You can still DEP without being able to do the pull-ups. You can't go to boot camp till your able to pass the IST to include pull-ups.

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-08-09, 12:43 PM
What do you mean you can pass the IST minus the pullups? That means you CAN NOT pass the IST.

I suggest you pass the IST first, then go enlist. It doesn't matter if you can or can not wait. You have to wait if there is a waiting period.

ameriken
09-08-09, 01:33 PM
I think he just meant he can pass all the rest, but just not the p/u's.

dizark
09-08-09, 01:55 PM
Listen... I depped in Oct 24th at the age of 25. I'm now 26 so if I can do it, so can you. Talk to a recruiter, and work on those pull ups. When I was going through the MEPS process I could barely do 1 pull up. I worked on them, and went to boot doing 5. Mind you, I still suck at them but am working on them as it really hurts my PFT Score.

Good luck to you!

slimmy07
09-08-09, 02:42 PM
Listen... I depped in Oct 24th at the age of 25. I'm now 26 so if I can do it, so can you. Talk to a recruiter, and work on those pull ups. When I was going through the MEPS process I could barely do 1 pull up. I worked on them, and went to boot doing 5. Mind you, I still suck at them but am working on them as it really hurts my PFT Score.

Good luck to you!

Good advice!

nrml1
09-08-09, 07:52 PM

Good luck to you!

Thank you all for all your replies. I can do one pull up also, but to me 1 might as well equal 0. I'm in the gym every day and I'm working hard at it, I have no doubt I will have at least 5 done by the middle of October if I continue at my current pace, if not sooner.

I thought one could not DEP in because there weren't any jobs available? I'm going to go see my recruiter on Thursday and see what she says. Its also my understanding that in order to DEP in a minimum of 3 pull-ups are required, but I'll take your word since I don't recall the source of that information.

I guess my main "problem" is that if I DEP in I have up to a year to ship but from what I saw in other threads here the Marine Corps is not shipping anyone out 'till at least October of next year if not December, hence my concern. I guess I should talk to my recruiter about that for clarification, I guess I'm just panicking a bit since I feel like my window is very quickly closing.

Thanks again Marines.

samthomas
09-08-09, 09:03 PM
I guess I should talk to my recruiter about that for clarification...I guess I'm just panicking a bit since I feel like my window is very quickly closing.

Excellent advice.

The door may be closed for you, but there are still plenty of ways to serve your nation. If you want to be a Marine, do whatever you are able to do, and then some. You won't be guaranteed to make it, but it is better than giving up.

sparkie
09-08-09, 09:09 PM
Things are tight,,,,,,,,But I wish you well.

nrml1
09-08-09, 10:40 PM
Excellent advice.

The door may be closed for you, but there are still plenty of ways to serve your nation. If you want to be a Marine, do whatever you are able to do, and then some. You won't be guaranteed to make it, but it is better than giving up.

Sir,

I agree 100%. But I live by the creed that you are most happy when you're doing something worth doing at a place where you want to be. I know what I want to do and I know where I want to do it. I won't give up until the last possible time. I was thinking about even possibly writing to somebody, still weighing the pros (if any) and the cons.

Thank you again Marines.

Petz
09-08-09, 11:17 PM
they may not want to DEP someone who can't pass the IST 'cause if they don't pass it they can't ship and a bed space is wasted on the Island.

each command does things differently for different reasons.

you can thank a whole lot of fat nasties who didn't put enough effort to get those numbers improved.

USMCMason
09-08-09, 11:23 PM
I enlisted at 28 and turned 29 on "Black Friday". You've got plenty of time, now go pass the IST.

Lisa 23
09-08-09, 11:30 PM
Well, all I can say without sounding like a smart a$$ is, instead of being here on Leatherneck.com, get working on those pull-ups. We can't do them for you. If being a Marine is what you really want to be, and you know time is running out age wise, then what are you waiting for, and why have you waited until now. Get your rear in gear and go and do what you gotta do. Plain and simple.
You can ask all the questions you want, but it's all up to you. We can't make you go and do what needs to be done, you've got to do it yourself. You either want to do it or you don't. No excuses.
You asked for ideas and it was given, now it's time to put all those ideas that the Marines here gave you to use!

nrml1
09-09-09, 10:20 AM
Thanks again, I really am appreciative of all your replies.

Just as an FYI though, in December of 2007 I weighed in at 310lbs, last weigh-in was a month ago at 210 - needless to say exercise was not in my vocabulary. My desire to become a Marine is what put that word along with Dedication and motivation in my vocabulary. Trust me Marines I have not been sitting on my butt all this time I have been working long and hard to get to my goal.

USMCMason: Thank you for saying that, it puts a little bit of a glimmer of hope on things.

Again Marines, thank you so much for your input, I'll keep you posted to see what my recruiter says.

P.S. A poolee (thanks SteveyStew) pointed me to the Irongym pull bar, I think this along with my current gym routine will help tremendously.

samthomas
09-09-09, 02:58 PM
So for people like me, 26yo, within weight requirements can pass the IST minus the pullups--what now?

It could be much worse. There are Marines who are a couple of years older than you, trying to get back in, with a lot less chance of success.

Good job on losing so much weight already. Keep at it.