PDA

View Full Version : Going to college as a Marine.

AndrewMacieira
09-08-09, 07:46 AM
At the moment I have an 8 year contract. 4 active and 4 inactive. I'll be leaving for boot camp this comming monday. Along with the 80k that comes with the G.I. Bill, I have recieved a kicker of 50k which will give me 130k to use for college. I don't want any of that to go to waste, I plan on going to college during my 4 years of inactive duty, while drilling.

My question goes out to the Marines that have attended college during inactive duty. Did drilling while enrolled in college cover all expenses? What did you personally do for your living situation? And also any tips would be appreciated on the topic.

Thank you Marines.

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-08-09, 11:36 AM
First off everyone signs a eight year contract.

Next, you do not drill in the in-active reserves. "In-active" means exactly that, you are inactive during that time.

When you leave active duty and you get out of the USMC, you can do as you please. You can get fat, get high, grow long hair, move to Mars, etc etc.. It doesn't matter. You are out of the military. You do not have to go to weekend drill or any crap like that.

In the event of WW3 then IRR Marines may get called back to duty.

Are you thinking about the regular reserves? When you get out of active duty you can join the active reserves near your home. While in this unit you will do the weekend warrior thing and get paid. And this money will not be enough to live off of.

Do not confuse the IRR with the regular reserves.

AndrewMacieira
09-08-09, 12:14 PM
First off everyone signs a eight year contract.

Next, you do not drill in the in-active reserves. "In-active" means exactly that, you are inactive during that time.

When you leave active duty and you get out of the USMC, you can do as you please. You can get fat, get high, grow long hair, move to Mars, etc etc.. It doesn't matter. You are out of the military. You do not have to go to weekend drill or any crap like that.

In the event of WW3 then IRR Marines may get called back to duty.

Are you thinking about the regular reserves? When you get out of active duty you can join the active reserves near your home. While in this unit you will do the weekend warrior thing and get paid. And this money will not be enough to live off of.

Do not confuse the IRR with the regular reserves.

Allright, that was very informative, thank you.

I take it that while in regular reserves it would be possible to become a full time student and the reserves serve as a part time job. So I can go reserve duty once my 4 years of active duty are up?

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-08-09, 12:34 PM
Allright, that was very informative, thank you.

I take it that while in regular reserves it would be possible to become a full time student and the reserves serve as a part time job. So I can go reserve duty once my 4 years of active duty are up?

The reserves is perfect for those who wish to do the college thing. Once you are nearing the end of your active duty contract you have to make a choice. 1)either re-enlist if allowed to, 2) leave active duty and the USMC, or 3) join an active reserve unit.

Yes, the reserves is just like a part time job. Don't forget you can get activated as a reserve Marine. Many reserve units get activated for about one year. You never know when your unit will get called into duty.

You will learn all this as you serve some time.