PDA

View Full Version : Timed Run, Boot Camp

Thisisrandy
09-07-09, 10:07 PM
Marines, I have looked into other threads and watched tons of videos and I have not seen any recruits actually timed in the 3 mile run.

Every vidoe I see has the entire platoon either marching, humping, or doing PT but I do not see where the get there individual times.

Can someone either point to a video or give me some direction here? Thank you Marines!!!

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-07-09, 10:15 PM
What exactly is it that you want to see? It is a DI with a watch yelling out the times as recruits pass the finish line.

It's not like you run a PFT each time you do PT. If my memory is correct we were timed individually maybe 3-4 times.

Thisisrandy
09-07-09, 10:21 PM
What exactly is it that you want to see? It is a DI with a watch yelling out the times as recruits pass the finish line.

It's not like you run a PFT each time you do PT. If my memory is correct we were timed individually maybe 3-4 times.

Thank you for your prompt response. I am not neccessarily looking to see this on a video, however it would be nice. All that I was saying is that all of the videos that I have seen and all of the questions and articles that I have read, I have not seen a recruit either fail it or I have not even heard about anyone coming close to failing it. I was inquiring how often this happens and whats the process when it does happen? I was just wanting to see some actual times and what these guys are running. It would just put it all in perspective for me.

I was looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

Thank You again Marine!

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-07-09, 10:36 PM
Thank you for your prompt response. I am not neccessarily looking to see this on a video, however it would be nice. All that I was saying is that all of the videos that I have seen and all of the questions and articles that I have read, I have not seen a recruit either fail it or I have not even heard about anyone coming close to failing it. I was inquiring how often this happens and whats the process when it does happen? I was just wanting to see some actual times and what these guys are running. It would just put it all in perspective for me.

Thank You again Marine!

Now you are asking a legit question. Amazing what happens when you add details.

Well I have never seen a video of this either.

Anytime you are timed individually you will have people run different times. Not all of us are sprinters or good at running, but you all will pass. You will not get sent into training if you can not pass the IST, so you have nothing to worry about once there. Some recruits run 18 min., while others run 24 minutes.

If you make it to the end of boot camp for the final PFT, you will pass it. That is a fact. The times will vary and many run below the required time.

Don't put to much on the run times. As long as you pass that is all that matters.

Thisisrandy
09-07-09, 10:39 PM
Now you are asking a legit question. Amazing what happens when you add details.

Well I have never seen a video of this either.

Anytime you are timed individually you will have people run different times. Not all of us are sprinters or good at running, but you all will pass. You will not get sent into training if you can not pass the IST, so you have nothing to worry about once there. Some recruits run 18 min., while others run 24 minutes.

If you make it to the end of boot camp for the final PFT, you will pass it. That is a fact. The times will vary and many run below the required time.

Don't put to much on the run times. As long as you pass that is all that matters.

Again, thank you. I am 28 in 14 days and I am out of shape as far as running goes. I am definitely working on it daily but I am just worried that these young bucks are gonna make me look like sh*t. I'm sure they will and Im not so much worried about that as I am passing the PFT.

Thank U again Marine

Quinbo
09-07-09, 10:47 PM
Pretty basic on the run thing. You stand on the starting line and someone says go then you run like hell and then you cross the finish line and someone give you your time.

Takes longer than that to get a gal warmed up sometimes. Then you run like hell when her daddy shows up with a shotgun.

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-07-09, 10:47 PM
Again, thank you. I am 28 in 14 days and I am out of shape as far as running goes. I am definitely working on it daily but I am just worried that these young bucks are gonna make me look like sh*t. I'm sure they will and Im not so much worried about that as I am passing the PFT.

Thank U again Marine

Believe me, it is not a HS track meet. No one is gonna show boat or any crap like that. You are a platoon and you each support each other. There will be many jackrabbits and many turtles and many in between.

Always remember that where others may dominate you, you may dominate them in other fashions. I remember I was an average runner, but I shot 232 on the range and the fastest runner barely qualified. So it all evened out.

Petz
09-07-09, 11:01 PM
I'm 28 and I don't run like the wind. Don't worry about the young "bucks" out running you, that will be a given, however there will always be that 40 yo Sgt Maj who runs a 14 min 3 mile who will by default smoke them all and give us old farts (compared to the average AD Marine that is) motivation to get out there and run during chow or after work in order to get that run time down.

Quinbo
09-07-09, 11:04 PM
I'm 28 (compared to the average AD Marine that is) motivation to get out there and run during chow or after work in order to get that run time down.

Should have said the average wrench turner.

Petz
09-07-09, 11:06 PM

the average age of the Marine Corps is like 24 or something low like that. once you're over that age you can say you are "over the hill" in Marine Corps terms.

got to work twice as hard to keep up with your Marines.

and you really butchered my post with that quote. :D

"Bulk the Butcher"

Thisisrandy
09-07-09, 11:07 PM
Hey, thanks Marines for all of the information. This makes me feel a little more at ease. I'm very aware that I will prevail in some areas that the others struggle in simply because I'm older and hopefully more experienced. Holding the optimism.... don't take that from me....

Thank you all again.

Petz
09-07-09, 11:11 PM
where did you find this quote from Chesty Puller? that doesn't sound remotely close.

Thisisrandy
09-07-09, 11:11 PM
Problem is, I dont think I can run 3 miles in 35 minutes.... LOL Seriously.... I get winded talking about it.... I'm sweating right now....... Whew...

Thisisrandy
09-07-09, 11:13 PM
where did you find this quote from Chesty Puller? that doesn't sound remotely close.

If you are referring to the quote in my signature I found it by googling USMC quotes and found it in one of the websites. They had tons of them that I see on the signatures of most of the members and guests here.

The "expect the worse and hope for the best" is something that my dad always told me so that I would never be lat down and would always think better about other people when they over-shot my expectations.

Petz
09-07-09, 11:19 PM
oh, I'm not saying you don't rate, just that it doesn't sound like the quote I'm thinking of. I'd even go so far as to say it's a hybrid of a few quotes.

You should however find a quote that motivates you to succeed or some trash like that.

Chesty was always good for a one liner but it was more to raise moral and make his men feel invincible rather that to "accomplish" something. He basically used his men in a war of attrition. I recall having a conversation with someone who has read his memoirs, supposedly he said he could tell how well "we're" doing by how many casualties we have sustained.

good guy, great leader, magnificent Marine but in the end he was just another guy who knew what to say to his men to have them run to their deaths.

Thisisrandy
09-07-09, 11:23 PM
Yeah, it's kind of hard for me to voice my opinion because I am not a Marine. I'll just go along with you on that one. I think we see eye-to-eye in our humble opinions.

But as far as the one from my dad goes, I truly believe in that saying. It has been true to me for as long as I can remember. He always told me another one too, "You never have time to do it right the first time, but you ALWAYS have time to do it again". In other words, dont double work yourself, just put out 110% effort and get it done right the first go-round and and you'll never have to go back and do it again... If not you'll do it over and over until you get it right and in the end you will have put forth 5 times the amount of effort that was truly required.

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-07-09, 11:24 PM
Problem is, I dont think I can run 3 miles in 35 minutes.... LOL Seriously.... I get winded talking about it.... I'm sweating right now....... Whew...

If I were you I would try this.

Forget about distance. Just try to keep running for 30 consecutive minutes. Once you can do this with ease, you then measure distance and work from there.

30 minutes is an ideal time. If you really struggle then try 25 or 20. The trick is to get your body used to it.

Don't worry about the 3 miles right now.

Thisisrandy
09-07-09, 11:28 PM
If I were you I would try this.

Forget about distance. Just try to keep running for 30 consecutive minutes. Once you can do this with ease, you then measure distance and work from there.

30 minutes is an ideal time. If you really struggle then try 25 or 20. The trick is to get your body used to it.

Don't worry about the 3 miles right now.

You know, I think you may be on to something here. Thank you for that. I guess I never thought about doing it that way. I'll start that tomorrow.

I normally try to run at approx 6.3 mph on the treadmill. That is on the high side of a jog but not a full out run. I'll probably try to jog tomorrow at about 5 mph for around 20 minutes or so. That should get the blood flowing.....

ameriken
09-07-09, 11:33 PM

Ok, here you go: turn off your computer and go run 3 miles. Everytime you want to turn on your computer, go run instead.

You'll do more for your run time by actually running than you will posting on Leatherneck and looking for videos.

Period.

Thisisrandy
09-07-09, 11:36 PM
Ok, here you go: turn off your computer and go run 3 miles. Everytime you want to turn on your computer, go run instead.

You'll do more for your run time by actually running than you will posting on Leatherneck and looking for videos.

Period.

Yes, thank you for that obvious gesture of intelligence. That is exactly what I will do.
Thank You Marine.

New York
09-07-09, 11:57 PM
Well, there's the IST at Boot Camp, then there's the Initial PFT and finally the actual PFT. What do they all have in common? Run time, you run 3 miles and when you get to the finish line there's a...

Petz
09-08-09, 12:01 AM
No, which Depot did you goto and which Company in which Battalion? Each is done differently.

New York
09-08-09, 12:05 AM
PI SSGT, 1stRTBN Delta Co.

I thought everything was done the same in every Battalion.

Petz
09-08-09, 12:11 AM
nope. each unit has it's own CO and COC. the higher up you go the less they are involved in the day-to-day and the week-to-week of the recruits.

they have a requirement/intent at the Bn level and the Co follow the intent in their own way.

GREY MATTER
09-08-09, 01:13 AM

simple solution...stop being lazy and go run

dizark
09-08-09, 01:59 AM
For my IST, we had the huge digital clock. In MRP, we had the clock, but while I was in Golf and Alpha Company, there was a Drill Instructor there yelling out times.

Listen, I'm 26. I ran the IST in 11:40. Now when I run a 3 mile, when I get to the half way turn around, I'm hearing 11:00. Anyways, when the run is said and done, I finish out at 22:45-23:00. I don't sprint, I die while running... however I start off strong, then jog the rest of the way while controlling my breathing the best I can.

If you jog the whole 3 mile, there's no reason why you can't finish in under 28 minutes (no stops allowed.) Remember, stopping is detrimental to your running. No matter how bad it hurts, your legs can take you 10x farther than your mind says. Ignore your mind, and push your limits. Don't ever walk on a run, and you'll do just fine. Soon as you start ignoring your mind telling you to stop, or to quit, you'll see that everything else falls into place.

Good luck.

Alisium
09-08-09, 03:47 AM
Well, there's the IST at Boot Camp, then there's the Initial PFT and finally the actual PFT. What do they all have in common? Run time, you run 3 miles and when you get to the finish line there's a digital CLOCK which displays time.

So, if you're running and you pass the clock at 20:23, guess what? that's your time.

Then go you and report to the scribe.

That describes my San Diego experience. Add an almost, dangerously almost, powerful need to take a dump, towards the end, and it's exactly the same experience.

My Senior (who was a 30 yo SGT that smoked) finished before me and ran back about a mile and ran me into the finish.

Thisisrandy
09-08-09, 07:30 AM
simple solution...stop being lazy and go run
Wow, this is also a very educated solution. Thank you for your well deserved sarcastic intelligent gesture as well. Must have taken a lot out of you to really contribute to this thread.

Thisisrandy
09-08-09, 07:33 AM
And as for the rest of you Marines who are "truly" trying to answer my questions without sarcasm, thank you.

Quinbo
09-08-09, 07:55 AM
You'll get a bunch of advice on running. Do this and that and you'll turn in a better time. The trick is... go out there and do it. Do it often. Running isn't a bi-anual thing you do. It is a daily thing. Folks say take a day or two off to let your muscles recover. I say proper stretching and warm up before and you can turn in 3 miles every single day. Sure take a day off now and then when you have reduced the amount of time it takes to get from here to there in a lumbering fashion.

Thisisrandy
09-08-09, 08:11 AM
You'll get a bunch of advice on running. Do this and that and you'll turn in a better time. The trick is... go out there and do it. Do it often. Running isn't a bi-anual thing you do. It is a daily thing. Folks say take a day or two off to let your muscles recover. I say proper stretching and warm up before and you can turn in 3 miles every single day. Sure take a day off now and then when you have reduced the amount of time it takes to get from here to there in a lumbering fashion.

Thank you Marine

Lisa 23
09-08-09, 08:14 AM
Wow, this is also a very educated solution. Thank you for your well deserved sarcastic intelligent gesture as well. Must have taken a lot out of you to really contribute to this thread.

Don't be disrespectful to Marine GREY MATTER just because you don't like the comment he gave you. You asked a question and he gave you an answer. Either say 'Thanks Marine for your input' or 'don't say anything at all'.

Thisisrandy
09-08-09, 09:00 AM
I have respest for ALL Marines and there sarcasm, but it's not needed. Thank you Marine.

Quinbo
09-08-09, 09:06 AM
I had a Lcpl just like you in my squad. Smart as a whip and knew everything. Just as dangerous as a Lcpl with a gun and a badge or a 2nd Lt with a map and a compass. Your sarcasm makes your bulldog mouth go way beyond your chihuahua ass.

That Lcpl couldn't hit in a bull in the ass with a boat paddle and later got caught stealing others thunder.

Lisa 23
09-08-09, 09:13 AM
If you can't take a bit of sarcasim on the internet from Marines, then you're gonna have a tough time handling it from the Marines in the fleet; that is, if you make it thru boot camp, MCT or SOI traning and your MOS school.

NoRemorse
09-08-09, 09:19 AM
I can see already that you're going to have trouble at Boot.

You're hard-headed regardless of your age. You'll either learn to shut your suck and take it or you'll earn yourself extra motivation in the form of all sorts of attention from the Drill Instructors and their bosses.

All your questions; while you may think they're helping to prep you for Boot, are doing quite the opposite. You want to go into Boot as a blank slate with a pretty good physical base; not ready to pop off all sorts of knowledge because at this point the knowledge means nothing.

You might get some moto at a poolee function or running a cadence but it's not the same as doing it with the 60-80 guys you're going to be running with on a daily basis for 3 months straight.

Get the idea out of your head that any sort of preparation beyond basic knowledge and PT will help you in Boot. If you've got questions about how things work in the Fleet then stick to those. You're setting yourself up for failure at Boot by programming yourself to react to things in a pre-conceived fashion.

You're going to be hanging on by the seat of your pants for at least the first two weeks on the island. You'll be acclimating yourself to the weather, the hours, the accountability, the level of scrutiny and a bunch of intangibles on top of all those.

Blank slates do well because they're ready to be trained and it takes less time to break them down. You seem to be a stubborn one; and this was probably true when you were 28.

If you're getting rankled on a chat forum by people who don't sugar-coat things then I suggest one thing. Get over yourself. You don't have time for that trash in Boot so why would you obstensibly have time for it here? You should be learning as much as possible about your own physical limits and taking away a bit of knowledge at a time, chewing on it and making it your own.

ameriken
09-08-09, 09:33 AM
I have respest for ALL Marines and there sarcasm, but it's not needed. Thank you Marine.
Sarcasm? You ever think maybe we're being dead serious with you? You're 28 and asking the silliest of all questions. You want to see videos about recruits doing the 3 mile run? Are you really serious and expect a serious answer to that kind of question?

Maybe you should expect sarcasm when you ask about videos rather than how to improve your runtime.

Thisisrandy
09-08-09, 09:43 AM
I can see already that you're going to have trouble at Boot.

You're hard-headed regardless of your age. You'll either learn to shut your suck and take it or you'll earn yourself extra motivation in the form of all sorts of attention from the Drill Instructors and their bosses.

All your questions; while you may think they're helping to prep you for Boot, are doing quite the opposite. You want to go into Boot as a blank slate with a pretty good physical base; not ready to pop off all sorts of knowledge because at this point the knowledge means nothing.

You might get some moto at a poolee function or running a cadence but it's not the same as doing it with the 60-80 guys you're going to be running with on a daily basis for 3 months straight.

Get the idea out of your head that any sort of preparation beyond basic knowledge and PT will help you in Boot. If you've got questions about how things work in the Fleet then stick to those. You're setting yourself up for failure at Boot by programming yourself to react to things in a pre-conceived fashion.

You're going to be hanging on by the seat of your pants for at least the first two weeks on the island. You'll be acclimating yourself to the weather, the hours, the accountability, the level of scrutiny and a bunch of intangibles on top of all those.

Blank slates do well because they're ready to be trained and it takes less time to break them down. You seem to be a stubborn one; and this was probably true when you were 28.

If you're getting rankled on a chat forum by people who don't sugar-coat things then I suggest one thing. Get over yourself. You don't have time for that trash in Boot so why would you obstensibly have time for it here? You should be learning as much as possible about your own physical limits and taking away a bit of knowledge at a time, chewing on it and making it your own.

For one, I have to say thank you for tyour honesty. You seem to be well educated. I DO respect all Marines. I understand what you say about a "blank slate". It does make total sense. However, there is a switch in most peoples' mind that they turn on willingly or unwillingly when they go to bootcamp in order to deal with all the discipline and as*chewing. That doesn't apply here. When guests, poolees, and other Marines ask question there are not trying to waste all of your time. They are asking questions, looking up to Marines as mentors, and asking for guidance. Now I do agree that not all poollees, guests, and wannabees fit under this category. My initial question was clear and concise. I asked for and answer, thanked all the Marines that were serious about giving me a realistic answer, and carried on. I wasn't starting this thread to get peoples' smart @ss 2 cents. And that is why I appreciate your honesty in your past comment, it was sincere and realistic. I know how to take sarcasm, trust me I am one of the most sarcastic, unserious people around. But there is a time for play and a time for other things. I don't think the Marines & MODS of this forum want people playing on there board(forum) or else they would develop a gaming section.

With ALL DUE RESPECT; I asked a question, I have my answers, Thank all of you Marines who contributed to this, and I apologize for twisting some of your skivies.... Again, Thank You all.:thumbup:

Thisisrandy
09-08-09, 09:48 AM
Sarcasm? You ever think maybe we're being dead serious with you? You're 28 and asking the silliest of all questions. You want to see videos about recruits doing the 3 mile run? Are you really serious and expect a serious answer to that kind of question?

Maybe you should expect sarcasm when you ask about videos rather than how to improve your runtime.

Here, since we are all sharing our thoughts and 2 cents: In most peoples' eyes, no question, is a dumb question. The dumb one is the one who refuses and is afraid to ask questions.
I guess I'm just that open minded.

ameriken
09-08-09, 09:51 AM
Here, since we are all sharing our thoughts and 2 cents: In most peoples' eyes, no question, is a dumb question. The dumb one is the one who refuses and is afraid to ask questions.
I guess I'm just that open minded.If you're that open minded, then dont treat the answers you don't like as sarcasm, rather try to learn something from them. If there are no dumb questions, there are no dumb answers.

Thisisrandy
09-08-09, 09:55 AM
If you're that open minded, then dont treat the answers you don't like as sarcasm, rather try to learn something from them. If there are no dumb questions, there are no dumb answers.

So what you are saying is: when someone ask a question, regardless of the answer you or anyone gives to them, whether its entirely off the subject or irrelevant to the question, the answer is a good one???

Wow, quite political... I must say..

Hey Ameriken, with all due respect----->Thank YOU!!!:thumbup:

NoRemorse
09-08-09, 10:05 AM
With ALL DUE RESPECT; I asked a question, I have my answers, Thank all of you Marines who contributed to this, and I apologize for twisting some of your skivies.... Again, Thank You all.:thumbup:

First off, don't touch my skivvies. Second off; you're low man on the totem pole. Sh1t runs down hill so you're not at liberty to tell which Marine not to pop off on one of your threads.

Anybody popping off on you should be seen as extra moto: as in I'm going to go out there and get some regardless of what this Marine said to me.

You have one and only one response when it starts raining down on you heavy, and that is to put your head down and keep humping through the muck until you get there.

You gain nothing by arguing or responding to Marines here in a negative tone. You don't have to be a kiss azz suck up or bend over backwards or just take it but you're volunteering to be thrown into an environment where Marines and Navy personnel alike will be directly up your rear trying to get you to push back. Sublimate your need to pop off and let it roll, like water off a duck's back and all that good stuff. This is neither the time nor the place.

You're below a non-rate at this point; get in and you'll be a non-rate but you'll be a non-rate with a title. Chew on that each time you're ready to respond to a Marine who said something less than nice to you. You have the chance to still be our brother regardless of how much we might sh1t on you.

Thisisrandy
09-08-09, 10:09 AM
First off, don't touch my skivvies. Second off; you're low man on the totem pole. Sh1t runs down hill so you're not at liberty to tell which Marine not to pop off on one of your threads.

Anybody popping off on you should be seen as extra moto: as in I'm going to go out there and get some regardless of what this Marine said to me.

You have one and only one response when it starts raining down on you heavy, and that is to put your head down and keep humping through the muck until you get there.

You gain nothing by arguing or responding to Marines here in a negative tone. You don't have to be a kiss azz suck up or bend over backwards or just take it but you're volunteering to be thrown into an environment where Marines and Navy personnel alike will be directly up your rear trying to get you to push back. Sublimate your need to pop off and let it roll, like water off a duck's back and all that good stuff. This is neither the time nor the place.

You're below a non-rate at this point; get in and you'll be a non-rate but you'll be a non-rate with a title. Chew on that each time you're ready to respond to a Marine who said something less than nice to you. You have the chance to still be our brother regardless of how much we might sh1t on you.

Hey Marine, thank you. Some of us has been delt a bad hand or should I say deck of cards over the past and get real bitter when something or someone you are trying to become sh*ts on you on top of everything else you're going thru and have been thru.

Not a sob story just wanna say thanks guys and I apologize if my sarcasm and desire rattled some of you.

Thank you all.

Supersquishy
09-08-09, 10:11 AM
Hey Marine, thank you. Some of us has been delt a bad hand or should I say deck of cards over the past and get real bitter when something or someone you are trying to become sh*ts on you on top of everything else you're going thru and have been thru.

Not a sob story just wanna say thanks guys and I apologize if my sarcasm and desire rattled some of you.

Thank you all.
Get Some, and Good Luck!

BR34
09-08-09, 10:26 AM
don't think the Marines & MODS of this forum want people playing on there board(forum) or else they would develop a gaming section.

Actually there is a gaming section. Look at the top of the page. It says "Arcade". Something I noticed a couple weeks ago. Now I spend countless hours on DoD computers playing Tetris.

Thanks leatherneck.com!

NoRemorse
09-08-09, 10:29 AM
Actually there is a gaming section. Look at the top of the page. It says "Arcade". Something I noticed a couple weeks ago. Now I spend countless hours on DoD computers playing Tetris.

Thanks leatherneck.com!

I'm terrified at the thought that someone might figure that out and block the site.

Well not terrified but afraid that'd I'd be really really really bored.

Supersquishy
09-08-09, 10:31 AM

Thanks leatherneck.com!
Sweet! Im goning to play BurgerTime.

ameriken
09-08-09, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the heads-up BR. Check out this high score.......I mean, WTF? This is almost as high as our deficit!!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/arcade/images/crown.gif erased http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/arcade/images/crown.gif
with a score of 340,282,000,000,000,014,192,072,600,942,972,764,16 0