PDA

View Full Version : Finding a Reserve MOS slot out of state

karstenchu
09-07-09, 09:54 PM
I am an eastern Pennsylvania resident and have been talking to my local recruiter about joining the SMCR. After a tough few months researching the various MOS's the Marine Corps offers, I became dead set on 0231 Intelligence Analyst. 1371 Combat Engineer, I told him, was a second option that interested me.

I live in Coatesville, PA, which is, by Google Maps, a few minutes short of an hour and a half drive from Fort Dix, NJ, which has what seems to be an Intel unit. Quantico also seems to have an Intel unit, and that is three hours away. I mentioned this to my recruiter and after consulting with his boss, he said that "out of Harrisburg it is not a possibility we cannot take a reserve job from someone else's station and give it to you."

Now I really hate questioning what the recruiter said to me as I want to trust him, but I've read in a post here ("I would just like to update this post, incase any other potential Marines happen to check by and read it. It's taken some hoop jumping and a few phone calls, but it turns out it Is indeed possible to enlist out of one RS for a job in another state." - I forget who said it) and on MarineOCS.com that you can drive pretty far distances to drill with a unit. I think I even read in a MARADMIN that 1.5 hours was the norm and that 3 hours drive was more of a max.

I already called a recruiter in Newark, DE and asked if he had any 0231 slots open and he told me off for acting unprofessional and not letting my recruiter find out for me. Can anyone clarify? An officer from MarineOCS.com suggested me calling Quantico...but is that unprofessional?