PDA

View Full Version : MOS field?

McManus15
09-07-09, 09:34 PM
My names Paul, im a poolee i ship aug 2 2010. My contract reads that im placed the the charlie mike (CM) mos field. Im hoping to be a 1316 metal worker. how does the mos field work? why does it not read only the mos that i want?

This is my first post. Please excuse my ignorance of the way everything works on the this forum.

TRosa06
09-07-09, 10:49 PM
The only way to get a specific job is to be a reservist. I'm not a recruiter but from what I know about contracts, they are kind of like a category, yours being CM. You will get a job assigned based on that. More happens on the recruiters end but I don't know anything about it, all I know is I got the MOS I wanted. Correct me if I'm wrong Marines, I would like to know how it works personally.

Petz
09-07-09, 10:55 PM
to be non-specific, in a generalized way. You select the MOS you want, the MOS is not promised to AD in case they need to shift you to a new MOS because over booking of the MOS school house or other such un-lucky event.

this way the Corps has flexibility with your contract.

Many many many times you'll get the job you want, but there's always that one guy/gal who doesn't.

be prepared to work in any of the jobs in that job category.

don't ask how they are categorized and why, I don't know, probably some high speed reason about your line scores and being able to do one of the other jobs.

McManus15
09-07-09, 11:01 PM
Thanks Marines.
I'm hoping to get the 1316 because metal working is what I'm good at. I placed 3rd last year in state metal fab competition. Thank you for the quick response! Anyone know of any 1316s on the forum?

Also, 93 overall on the ASVAB with 146 on the Mechanical

Petz
09-07-09, 11:10 PM
with that kind of score, they will probably keep you and ditch a lower scoring Marine. If it came to that of course.

I don't see you having a problem as the welders always need great numbers.

don't expect to shine at MOS school 'cause you compete or anything (I'm sure you know). Your abilities will be noticed and you will probably be selected as the Class honor grad or something and possibly get a promotion out of it if you're not a LCpl already.

McManus15
09-07-09, 11:17 PM
That's exactly the reassurance I needed. Thank you! S/F

Petz
09-07-09, 11:20 PM
I think it's more motivation than reassurance. I'm not sure at all....

McManus15
09-07-09, 11:30 PM
Its all the same. It makes we want the next year to go by faster.

Petz
09-07-09, 11:32 PM
don't waste it, PT a lot. PT so you can have a 300 PFT. 18 min 3 mile, 20 pull ups and 100 crunches in 2 min.

jp2usmc
01-14-10, 09:42 AM
McManus,

I am out now, but I was a 1316 - freakin' great MOS if you get it, and I went in Open Contract.

I will say, they gave those of us who were Open Contract an additional exam during boot camp to test our abilities. On that test was a question asking us what our personal, biggest accomplishment was (other than joining, of course). I wrote down that I had welded a Firebird frame to a 64 Chevy pickup. Three months later, I was in Court House Bay (Camp LeJune, NC) going to Welding School - probably where it is today.

I still do a little welding on the side from time to time, and I've even setup a webpage for it: http://www.joeswelding.biz - but I don't do it much. It is more of a hobby these days.

Carry on.

McManus15
06-08-10, 02:06 PM
I've been moved to the CF MOS field, containing 1316 still. My IST is up and I'm 40 days out. I AM MOTIVATED!

McManus15
10-18-10, 04:49 PM
And now I'm back from boot camp and my MOS is 2111. I'm told by my drill instructors that this isn't my for sure MOS and they deal with all of that at MCT?

jp2usmc
10-19-10, 06:38 AM
And now I'm back from boot camp and my MOS is 2111. I'm told by my drill instructors that this isn't my for sure MOS and they deal with all of that at MCT?

No, that's your MOS, Devil Dog - unless you screw up and get kicked out of school or can't pass the classes.

cplzeke0311
10-19-10, 02:30 PM
Don't worry about it too much. 2111 is still a great MOS. I was an 0311 but I was the company armory custodian for almost 3 years so I worked very closely with the 2111's. We technically weren't supposed to perform repairs on the weapons but I learned enough from them to be able to do their job. It can get a little boring because you'll be doing the same inspections on the same weapons over and over again but overall I thought it was a good job. It's all what you make of it.

jp2usmc
10-19-10, 04:14 PM
MOS 2111: Small Arms Repairer/Technician

Armorer

http://www.ordnancemarine.com/2111/2111.html

jp2usmc
10-26-10, 09:46 AM

McManus: Be sure to update your profile. You are no longer a Poolee.

I got to thinking about this, and I guess it's too late now because you're probably in school and not checking this. BUT, you could easily have one of your parents write to your Congressman with a copy of your Contract stating that you signed up to be a 1316, not a 2111. That will get their attention faster than anything!

Of course, you have to have a copy of your contract stating you're supposed to go in as a 1316, and you can't have gotten into trouble between the sign date and now, but that will have everyone in your chain of command trying to kiss your ass. Congressmen are powerful military influencers.