PDA

View Full Version : Devil Doc or Devil Dog

cadet78
09-07-09, 09:24 PM
Gentlemen,
I have a little under a year to decide...
Marine Corps or FMF Corpsman.
I am motovated for both of them but I am extremely leaning towards being a Doc, however, wanting to be a marine has always been with me.I know the training is difficult for both but I score my pft at 291 and I have a lot of basic (really basic) knowledge. I just want to hear some real life stuff before I make the choice.

what do you think?

Thanks
D

mjhpgh
09-07-09, 09:30 PM
Seems like we have to say the same thing to new people .

Fill out your profile and capitalize Marine.

cadet78
09-07-09, 09:46 PM
Just filled out the profile and fixed the grammatical error-
thanks
D

cadet78
09-08-09, 02:05 PM
-

BR34
09-08-09, 04:40 PM
Be a doc. And call yourself a Corpsman.

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-08-09, 05:03 PM
You just need to figure out if you want to be a Marine or a Sailor. Nothing wrong with either choice, it all depends on your wants and needs.

Being a Devil Doc if you are a good one, will earn you the respect of the USMC and more importantly, your Marines.

Let the decision come to you and follow your gut instincts.

rufio14
09-08-09, 06:27 PM
Ask yourself why you want to be a Corpsman. Then ask your self why you want to be a Marine. Tell us what you came up with.

cadet78
09-08-09, 06:53 PM
Be a doc. And call yourself a Corpsman.

Do you mean as opposed to calling myself a sailor?

cadet78
09-08-09, 06:56 PM
"Ask yourself why you want to be a Corpsman. Then ask your self why you want to be a Marine. Tell us what you came up with."
----------------------------------------------------------------

I asked myself those questions and this is what I got...
Marine:I can challenge myself to become part of the biggest and the baddest fighting fraternity ever. I want to EARN the EGA
Corpsman:I want to protect that fraternity and protect my (future) Marines

What do you think?

cadet78
09-08-09, 07:05 PM
"Ask yourself why you want to be a Corpsman. Then ask your self why you want to be a Marine. Tell us what you came up with."
----------------------------------------------------------------

I asked myself those questions and this is what I got...
Marine:I can challenge myself to become part of the biggest and the baddest fighting fraternity ever. I want to EARN the EGA
Corpsman:I want to protect that fraternity and protect my (future) Marines

What do you think?

To add more I believe that when Marines give the fight their all a Corpsman has to the same and then some. They have to look after the Marines too.

ameriken
09-08-09, 07:20 PM
You really sound like your heart lies more with being a Corpsman. If that really is the case, that is what you should be. No dishonor there, Marines love their Corpsman. :iwo:

rufio14
09-09-09, 07:08 PM
Well sounds like your more about saving lives then taking them. Honestly nothing beats being a Marine, but if your gonna go into the Navy then yeah be a Corpsman.

Waveslide
09-10-09, 06:47 PM
Tough question and one I answered myself back in the day. I choose Corpsman in hopes I would have a better future once I got out vs being a grunt. The first time I was actually called Doc was by some salty old Gunny who looked hard as hell. It sent chills down my body and I knew I made the right choice.

cadet78
09-21-09, 08:38 PM
Marines and Corpsman who posted.
Thank you.
The choice is still up there.
We shall see the outcome in about a year.

MontezumaCpl
09-21-09, 09:40 PM
Tough question and one I answered myself back in the day. I choose Corpsman in hopes I would have a better future once I got out vs being a grunt. The first time I was actually called Doc was by some salty old Gunny who looked hard as hell. It sent chills down my body and I knew I made the right choice.

My dad is retired Navy and related a similar experience to me while he was a young Corpsman. I thought about the Navy myself, but I went with the Marine Corps. Being around the Navy/USMC and having uncles that were also Career Military, it was the best decision I ever made in my life of course. Do what calls you the most, both are Honorable.

Best of Luck,

bucksgted
09-22-09, 05:27 PM
Just be aware, that you may not be chosen to go to the FMF. Young friend of mine said that in his class at Great Lakes, only one was chosen. In the class following his, everyone in the class went to the FMF. His comment to me? - - Needs of the Navy. He has been at Balboa Hospital for a year already - - still trying to go FMF - - but was essentially told to shut up and row!

Waveslide
09-22-09, 05:52 PM
^^^ Thats 100% true. Most of my class wanted FMSS, but there were no orders. The next group all went to FMSS. I was lucky in that my first command closed down so we had just about any billet to choose from. I am not 100% sure, but going to a C school after HM school makes it mandatory to go to FMSS prior to C school. Not all C schools go to FMSS though. OR, LAB, and X ray go for sure. But with those youll be bound to a fleet hospital vs infantry/ ground units. With a 2 front war I do not see it being hard to get it in your first enlistment.

doc h fmf
09-24-09, 06:42 AM
What ever you decide love them both/ooooorah semper fi

Danny C Smith
10-05-09, 04:00 PM
My closest Friend on this rock so an old Devil Doc, Viet Nam.
At 65 he is still hard as nails and quick to fix anything broken.
I have personally viewed his old pics from his service and he was
just as squared away if not more than the Marines in the pics.
One true bad azz.