PDA

View Full Version : Is legal administration a decent job?

BIGPLANS09
09-07-09, 01:45 PM
Hello Marines,

I didn't score very well on my ASVAB but I did manage to have high enough to pick Communications as my first choice. I didn't remember my second and third choices because I really wanted comm. Later I found out that MOS was filled up already and my second choice was Legal Admin. If you know anything about it and could give me some tips that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Lisa 23
09-07-09, 01:47 PM
I can't help you with your question, but it would be great that you would fill out the rest of your profile so the Marines here know who they are giving answers to, and read the rules in the Poolee and Ask A Marine forums also.

BIGPLANS09
09-07-09, 02:25 PM
Aye Aye Mam!

rufio14
09-07-09, 02:50 PM
Hey looks like that big banner is working for ya! The Fewer the Prouder! :beer:

BIGPLANS09
10-07-09, 12:39 PM
I apologize Marines, but my question wasn't really answered. Could you give more details? Thank you

Lisa 23
10-07-09, 12:59 PM
Check this link out.....it should help you out some.
United States Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions and Qualification Factors
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/marinejobs.htm

mErKtWiSt
10-07-09, 01:12 PM
Hey BigPlans,

When i first joined i was in the 0100 field (Legal Admin). In MCT they told me i would be a 0121 Personnel Admin. There are two MOS's 0121 and 0151. For 0121 its a bit harder to get promoted due to cutting scores being so high (not impossible). I somewhat enjoyed it. I mean im glad i did it so i know how to take care of my Marines on the admin side of things but i ended up LAT Moving at the end of my four years. The MOS itself is pretty much what you make of it and if you are comfortable being in the shop all the time. You are pretty much customer service to every Marine in your designated unit. For IPAC's (Integrated Personnel Administration Center) its split up into sections. You can work in maintaining Service Record Books, Running Diaries, doing pay, checking in new joins, Deployments etc.... Its a wide range of things you can end up doing. You can always change your MOS at the end of your enlistment and LATMOVE but i would try to choose an MOS that sounds appealing to you. Are there any specific questions you have or have i answered your question?

BIGPLANS09
10-07-09, 08:50 PM
Thanks Marines.

To Merktwist, I've already signed the papers for Legal Admin so Ill just go through with it. What were some of the downsides in your opinion and what did you LAT move to?

mErKtWiSt
10-08-09, 11:08 AM
I ended up LAT Moving to Embark and Logistics (0431). From my experience i mainly did not like staying in the shop the whole day, dealing with alot of Marines Bit**ing about every little thing possible when i was the one trying to help them out. Rosters Rosters Rosters!!!! lol got so boring and felt like groundhogs day everyday for me. I still did the best i could but just was not my thing. The key factor the made me want to get out of that MOS is that when your in the IPAC (GPAC back then) you are a vital asset to that specific section so i could not deploy. I got my chance to deploy twice during that enlistment but i had to fight hard to be able to volunteer. Where as in Embark i deploy pretty much anywhere my unit has training and to Iraq. I enjoy it alot, makes my day go by faster and i have fun and enjoy my job now. Im almost certain another Marine will have had a completly different expericence and loved every second of it. All i ask is that you remember, how ever stupid or important you think your job is, if you hate or love it understand the Marines in your unit depend on you to fix any problems they may have. It is definitly a thankless job but do it to the best of your ability, last thing you want to do is screw someone over because you dont like your MOS.

BIGPLANS09
10-08-09, 11:47 AM
Thank you sir. Yea one thing I was worried about was it being a pretty boring job. But Im sure all the MOS have there pluses and negatives so Ill stick it out and LAT move later if I decide. And volunteer every chance I get. But thanks again I think Ill go back to focusing on passing Boot Camp

mErKtWiSt
10-08-09, 11:58 AM
Good luck i hope everything goes well. Also reading your signature, it looks like your doing great. 20 pullups is max points, 100 crunches is max points and 18:00 minute 3 mile run is max points. You have about 3 months before you go out to boot camp so it would be in your best interest to start running 3 miles on your own to be ahead of the game. The build you up for it in boot camp starting at 1.5 and working up to 3 but it would make it that much easier for you if you got used to 3 miles now.