PDA

View Full Version : How will I fare physically?

AndrewMacieira
09-07-09, 11:17 AM
There's a few threads around describing how to prepare physically for bootcamp but my question is a bit different. I don't have anymore time left to prepare, I leave next monday.

How will I fare physically? On my final IST I had 14 pull ups, 80 sit ups, and my run was around 12 minutes. I'm 5'11, 180 pounds. Fairly muscular build, i've been lifting weights for about 2 years. I have above average stamina in my upper body. Mediocre stamina in my core region.

I decided I would post on "Ask A Marine" because maybe someone has had someone in their platoon with similar physical aspects and could report on how they did, physically.

dizark
09-07-09, 11:35 AM
You'll do well. You can pass all 3 components of the IST and PFTs, just remember to push yourself. I went to boot camp doing way less pull ups then you, and left doing way less than you. Work on those crunches in the rack at night when lights are out. Do 100 each night and you'll go from 80 to 100 in no time. Be sure to get up on the pull up bars on free time to keep your muscle memory.

You'll see soon how much you really don't PT or run. First Phase you PT the most.

Good luck and come back with the title!

AndrewMacieira
09-07-09, 11:42 AM
You'll do well. You can pass all 3 components of the IST and PFTs, just remember to push yourself. I went to boot camp doing way less pull ups then you, and left doing way less than you. Work on those crunches in the rack at night when lights are out. Do 100 each night and you'll go from 80 to 100 in no time. Be sure to get up on the pull up bars on free time to keep your muscle memory.

You'll see soon how much you really don't PT or run. First Phase you PT the most.

Good luck and come back with the title!

Thats a reassuring response, thank you. I've been told im worrying for nothing but I get more confident as my ship date gets closer.

Lisa 23
09-07-09, 11:53 AM
In my opinion, you are worrying for nothing. Only you know how well you are going to do physically.
Just take one day at a time and do everything to the best of your abilities. No matter how tough it gets, don't give up! Stay strong both mentally and physically, do what you are told, and pay attention to your Drill Instructors. You'll be fine.
Good luck and see you in 3 months, and no longer than 3 months. :thumbup:

AndrewMacieira
09-07-09, 12:17 PM
In my opinion, you are worrying for nothing. Only you know how well you are going to do physically.
Just take one day at a time and do everything to the best of your abilities. No matter how tough it gets, don't give up! Stay strong both mentally and physically, do what you are told, and pay attention to your Drill Instructors. You'll be fine.
Good luck and see you in 3 months, and no longer than 3 months. :thumbup:

Thanks to both Marines.

rufio14
09-07-09, 02:56 PM
You'll be completely fine

brian0351
09-11-09, 02:03 AM
And another thing...don't be afraid of the quarterdeck.

Just remember, each time a DI has you on your face doing pushups or trying to make your heart explode...it makes you stronger!