PDA

View Full Version : Gaffney Marine undergoes surgery following injury in Afghanistan

thedrifter
09-07-09, 09:02 AM
Gaffney Marine undergoes surgery following injury in Afghanistan
20-year-old was critically wounded in firefight

By Gary Glancy
gary.glancy@shj.com

Published: Monday, September 7, 2009 at 3:15 a.m.

A 20-year-old Marine from Gaffney who was critically injured in a firefight in Afghanistan was stabilizing in the intensive-care unit Sunday at a hospital in Germany after several hours of surgery, his father said.

Lance Cpl. Chris Fowlkes suffered what his father called "severe, life-changing injuries" when he and four other soldiers — who were attempting to return fire — left their military vehicle and one of them stepped on a ground bomb.

The dad, Steve Fowlkes, said some of his son's major medical concerns Sunday included blood pressure, kidney problems and the removal of shrapnel from his eyes. Despite the seriousness of his son's condition, Steve Fowlkes said the family was a "little bit uplifted" by the news Sunday compared to initial reports they received earlier in the weekend.

Chris Fowlkes is being treated at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center — the largest American hospital outside the U.S. — about three miles south of Ramstein Air Base. His father said the family was told at 7 a.m. Sunday that his son was going into surgery.

"He's not only in God's hands," Fowlkes said, "he's in the hands of the best surgeons in the world."

Fowlkes said he and the family are grateful for the support they've received locally, nationally and around the world. He spent the day not only getting updates on his son's condition but receiving an enormous number of phone calls and e-mails, and he learned that prayer chains have begun as far away as England and Afghanistan.

"The outpouring of heartfelt love for my son from all these people across this nation, and even countries outside of here, is way beyond belief," Fowlkes said.

"There are no words to express how we feel right now about the love they have shown to try and pray our son home."

Fowlkes also learned that his son's corotid artery was punctured in the explosion, and that a quick-acting Navy corpsman likely saved his life.

"Had that corpsman not gotten to his artery, (my son) would probably not have made it," Fowlkes said. "I do not know who that young man is, but I owe him the greatest gratitude a father can give."

He added that the family also is grateful to the Marine Corps, which he called "an extended family from your own family." In addition to his son's captain in Afghanistan calling Steve Fowlkes via satellite phone to check on his son's condition, a lieutenant colonel's announcement to a Marine base in Afghanistan that Chris Fowlkes needed AB-positive blood resulted in donations by 180 Marines.

"They're feeling (my son's injuries) hard over there," Fowlkes said.

Fowlkes said he can't see his son until the Marine Corps gives him permission. Until then, the family waits for what they hope will be more signs of encouragement.

And they long to eventually bring Chris home, though Steve Fowlkes said even then, things won't be easy.

"As a family, if Christopher pulls through this, we're all going to have to adjust our lives a little bit to take care of him," he said.

"What the Marine Corps can't do, we're going to have to do. It's going to be a long road, but my son is strong. He is a strong young man."

Ellie