PDA

View Full Version : Infantry a good choice?

119Wrestler
09-06-09, 03:25 AM
Hey there Marines,
Well I want my MOS to be 03xx, but every time i talk to non infantry Marines, they tell me not to do it, that all the 03s they know say they hate it. Some Infantry guys say it sucks too. Also they all tell me I should do a job thats going to help me when I get out. So I was wondering, do the 03s here on this website like being grunts?
Thanks, sorry if this has been covered before, but the search engine isnt working on my computer.

Gary Hall
09-06-09, 04:23 AM
Hey there Marines,
Well I want my MOS to be 03xx, but every time i talk to non infantry Marines, they tell me not to do it, that all the 03s they know say they hate it. Some Infantry guys say it sucks too. Also they all tell me I should do a job thats going to help me when I get out. So I was wondering, do the 03s here on this website like being grunts?
Thanks, sorry if this has been covered before, but the search engine isnt working on my computer.
:usmc: In the USMC, anything 0300 is among the worthy listings. For the sense of training and considerations for others than self that will be taught.

Among the returning Viet Nam POW's, I heard Jeremiah Denton publicly say: " ... we are thankful for having had the opportunity of serving our Country during difficult circumstances ... ".

In that statement, I heard something about considerations other than ego, selfishness, self esteem and pride and a lot about considerations for others.

Consideration for others is what 0300 is all about.

Gary Hall, 0300 (1947 - 1952), W-3-1 ('50 - '51).

GREY MATTER
09-06-09, 04:36 AM
you get out of your MOS what you put into it...

animal mother
09-06-09, 06:31 AM
Every job in the Marine Corps is designed to support the 0311 rifleman.....if you want to experience the "true" Marine Corps then infantry is the way to go. You may hate it but the camaraderie you will experience in the infantry will most likely be worth any amount of bull **** you have to put up with.....

Trust me when I say this:

Sometimes it is better to be in a world of **** than to be miserable.....
My WHOLE life ever since I could remeber I wanted to be an infantry Marine. When it was my time to enlist I had the option of waiting a long ass time for an infantry spot to open up or leave a little bit sooner in another job that I somehow convinced myself in 2 days that I would like. I love the Marine Corps but hate my job and every day deep down inside I am miserable. Why? Because I'm not doing what I like....but most importantly I'm not doing what I wanted to do.......

What I'm trying to say is: Do what YOU want to do and don't let ANYBODY change your mind. Infantry might suck.....or it might be the greatest thing you ever did.....but there is only one way to find out...and only you can make that decision.....

New York
09-06-09, 07:56 AM
Who do you think guards our President and our Embassies?

lol it's nothing other than 03s, same goes for our Silent Drill team.

If you're joininig our beloved Marine Corps for job security, you're in the wrong branch, I hear the Army offers disgusting deals for contracts.

It's either you want to be a US Marine first and everyelse second or you don't.

Simple enough?

I don't think the other Marines on here have to convince you, "OH PLEASE JOIN JOHNNY, PLEASE!!". The Marine Corps doesn't need individuals looking out for their best interest. We need Marines willing to serve the needs of our Country and Corps first, as in being a Marine first.

lol, anyway no matter what MOS you go, you'll aways be an Rifleman first. Meaning you're technically a Infantryman first either ways, regardless of 03 or not.

sparkie
09-06-09, 08:17 AM
It might have been better back when all contracts were 'open contracts'. But I could be wrong.
The night before boot grad you sat in a circle, got your MOS, and got to ask a few questions of the DIs.
Any opinions on this?

GREY MATTER
09-06-09, 10:25 AM
It might have been better back when all contracts were 'open contracts'. But I could be wrong.
The night before boot grad you sat in a circle, got your MOS, and got to ask a few questions of the DIs.
Any opinions on this?

when i went through, we didnt get our MOS until after MCT..and even then it was your general MOS, you didnt get your official MOS till after C school

ecfree
09-06-09, 10:51 AM
God Bless THE GRUNTS,the back bone of "The Marine Corps":iwo:

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-06-09, 05:29 PM
There are no crappy MOS's in the USMC, only crappy Marines who fill them. If you accept what you get yourself into, then it should be ok.

Infantry is not what many think it is. From the outside it looks "cool" and fun and it seems like one awesome thing to do, but there is alot more to it then that.

Always remember this, no matter what job you pick in the USMC it will suck and it will be the best job in the USMC equally. The USMC is the ultimate love hate relationship and you have to accept this fact.

119Wrestler
09-06-09, 10:38 PM
Every job in the Marine Corps is designed to support the 0311 rifleman.....if you want to experience the "true" Marine Corps then infantry is the way to go. You may hate it but the camaraderie you will experience in the infantry will most likely be worth any amount of bull **** you have to put up with.....

Trust me when I say this:

Sometimes it is better to be in a world of **** than to be miserable.....
My WHOLE life ever since I could remeber I wanted to be an infantry Marine. When it was my time to enlist I had the option of waiting a long ass time for an infantry spot to open up or leave a little bit sooner in another job that I somehow convinced myself in 2 days that I would like. I love the Marine Corps but hate my job and every day deep down inside I am miserable. Why? Because I'm not doing what I like....but most importantly I'm not doing what I wanted to do.......

What I'm trying to say is: Do what YOU want to do and don't let ANYBODY change your mind. Infantry might suck.....or it might be the greatest thing you ever did.....but there is only one way to find out...and only you can make that decision.....

Thats is exactly what I tell people. That I rather join the Infantry and hate it, than go to another job and hate it as well. Because i dont want to wonder what if....I've had my heart set on Infantry for a while, and I'm going to make the best of it. I know its going to suck alot, especially when I'm new in the fleet. But I think it will be worth it.

New York
09-07-09, 10:36 AM
If you're going into our Corps with this bull**** attitude already, you're more than likely going to be one of those miserable Marines.

Let along the ****ty recruit who doesnt put out at Boot Camp, and is the 10%.

You dont know if it's going to suck, lol you haven't even been shipped out yet nor been through Boot Camp, what makes you think you already know?

Im just pondering..Earn the title of US Marine first then worry about the rest later..

119Wrestler
09-07-09, 01:33 PM
Well I have some friends who are Infantry Marines, and they have all told me the same thing....being a boot sucks. So its not like I'm making something up. I rather know its going to suck and expect it, than go in all excited and then realize it sucks. I dont even mind.

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-07-09, 02:11 PM
Well I have some friends who are Infantry Marines, and they have all told me the same thing....being a boot sucks. So its not like I'm making something up. I rather know its going to suck and expect it, than go in all excited and then realize it sucks. I dont even mind.

Just remember that it takes a very very honest Marine to tell you his job sucks and that you should not do it. Most Marines are not gonna admit they chose a MOS that sucks.

Infantry is a job many want because of all the hype that comes with it, but many who have served in it and are honest will tell you it's not a place for those who "just want to try it".

A friend who I mentored since HS eventually enlisted and chose 03xx which was his dream. He arrived at his unit a few months ago and will deploy to the middle east soon. He has always been gung-ho, but recently he started asking me about other MOS's and about other branches.

I told him it was to soon to start looking at this since he still has over three years left. I asked him why he started doing this and he simply said he did not want to end up like the many Marines he sees who have back pain or knee and chest pain on a daily basis. And he also stated that what he has seen so far is nothing like what he had envisioned the infantry to be.

He is mainly upset at his peers who in his words 'joined for all the wrong reasons'. He said many today come in with the attitude of "if I don't like it, I will get out"..and this is a huge problem right now. Young Marines are getting busted and or kicked out at a high rate and this is because they realize they don't like it once they get there.

Bottom line is this. If you accept now that you may not like it, then you will make it. I have zero doubt that infantry life sucks and I have zero doubt infantry life is awesome. The trick is to accept what you have gotten yourself into and always smile, because you asked to do this.

119Wrestler
09-07-09, 03:36 PM
Just remember that it takes a very very honest Marine to tell you his job sucks and that you should not do it. Most Marines are not gonna admit they chose a MOS that sucks.

Infantry is a job many want because of all the hype that comes with it, but many who have served in it and are honest will tell you it's not a place for those who "just want to try it".

A friend who I mentored since HS eventually enlisted and chose 03xx which was his dream. He arrived at his unit a few months ago and will deploy to the middle east soon. He has always been gung-ho, but recently he started asking me about other MOS's and about other branches.

I told him it was to soon to start looking at this since he still has over three years left. I asked him why he started doing this and he simply said he did not want to end up like the many Marines he sees who have back pain or knee and chest pain on a daily basis. And he also stated that what he has seen so far is nothing like what he had envisioned the infantry to be.

He is mainly upset at his peers who in his words 'joined for all the wrong reasons'. He said many today come in with the attitude of "if I don't like it, I will get out"..and this is a huge problem right now. Young Marines are getting busted and or kicked out at a high rate and this is because they realize they don't like it once they get there.

Bottom line is this. If you accept now that you may not like it, then you will make it. I have zero doubt that infantry life sucks and I have zero doubt infantry life is awesome. The trick is to accept what you have gotten yourself into and always smile, because you asked to do this.

Yeah, I know that it might suck, and I am realistic about it, so I know what I have gotten myself into. But I'm going to make the best of it. Thanks Corporal. Apparently I think I have the right mentality.

Zulu 36
09-07-09, 07:38 PM
As you get older, it's normal to have knee and back pains. Sadly, those who ply the infantry trade (or those close to it) tend to start to ache a little sooner than others. Part of the price of freedom.

New York
09-08-09, 12:01 AM
With all this talk of INF sucks and INF is gonna burn you out, I better hurry and lat move ASAP. Cause i got a 03 contract, **** I'm screwed...Should've gone INF in the AF...

Petz
09-08-09, 12:03 AM
seriously, do they have this Site on some of the paperwork required for Infantry and recon?

Zulu 36
09-08-09, 05:49 AM
Infantry is tough. Always has been, always will be. Whether it sucks or not is a frame of mind.

I was Motor T and I thought the job sucked, I enjoyed much more being a military policeman. But I did my time in Motor T and actually had some interesting adventures, but I still not like the MOS.

Being in Marine infantry is the epitome of the Corps I think. The whole concept of the Marine Corps is to support the infantry, not the other way around.

In sports they say there is a difference between being in shape and being in game shape. Marine infantry stays in game shape and that takes a tough man. I went to Mountain Warfare School and we support people had to hump the mountain to the training site with an infantry company. The grunts seemed to take it in stride, but it was the worst hump I ever did (for a couple of reasons). We managed to keep up, but it was hard.

Petz
09-08-09, 08:33 AM
not every mission is a fire mission, not every round down range is a small arms round.

Infantry is just one cog in the greater machine.

Everyone has job to do, and without everyone the MC fails and that's a fact.

jcox0311
09-09-09, 05:33 AM
The Infantry is something you'll either love or hate, there's no in between. I personally would'nt have it any other way. I love being a grunt.

0331 2 0369
09-09-09, 07:37 AM
The Infantry is something you'll either love or hate, there's no in between. I personally would'nt have it any other way. I love being a grunt.

You got that right killer.:beer:

If people are complaining about their knees or back, then they haven't been training properly. At least if they are young that is. I didn't start having knee and back problems till close to retirement. Thats because of my age and the wear and tear over the years. I know I did things the wrong way on numerous occaissions that added to the back problems. If I had to go back and do it all over, I would still be a grunt and I wouldn't have it any other way.

slimmy07
09-09-09, 12:29 PM
not every mission is a fire mission, not every round down range is a small arms round.

Infantry is just one cog in the greater machine.

Everyone has job to do, and without everyone the MC fails and that's a fact.

Very true. No matter what kid, any job that you choose is an important one. The Marine Corps would not be the Marine Corps without ALL of our MOS's.

119Wrestler
09-10-09, 03:13 PM
Thank you for the replies, I've had my heart set on being infantry, and it kind of felt like alot of people were discouraging me from going 03, but I'd love to have the honor of being in the most elite fighting force in the world.

brian0351
09-11-09, 01:40 AM
Thank you for the replies, I've had my heart set on being infantry, and it kind of felt like alot of people were discouraging me from going 03, but I'd love to have the honor of being in the most elite fighting force in the world.

Just know that:

1) Your going to be dirty
2) Your going to be tired
3) Your going to be sleeping on the ground in the hot/cold/snow/rain
4) Your going to march to the point your legs/back/shoulders cry in pain
5) Your going to clean weapons, over and over and over again
6) Your going to be a boot, so your gonna carry more than your share of ammo/chow/weapons

BUT...

In the end, there is no greater group of guys than those in an infantry platoon. I can still remember one day we had been in the field, it had rained for days in Camp Lejeune. I looked around at everyone being wet and miserable and *****ing how much life sucked. Then I realized that there was no other place I would rather be because we all faced it together.
(Actually I would have rather been on a beach somewhere, but since that wasn't going to happen, I was happy being where i was! Lol)

GREY MATTER
09-11-09, 01:53 AM
Just know that:

1) Your going to be dirty
2) Your going to be tired
3) Your going to be sleeping on the ground in the hot/cold/snow/rain
4) Your going to march to the point your legs/back/shoulders cry in pain
5) Your going to clean weapons, over and over and over again
6) Your going to be a boot, so your gonna carry more than your share of ammo/chow/weapons

BUT...

In the end, there is no greater group of guys than those in an infantry platoon. I can still remember one day we had been in the field, it had rained for days in Camp Lejeune. I looked around at everyone being wet and miserable and *****ing how much life sucked. Then I realized that there was no other place I would rather be because we all faced it together.
(Actually I would have rather been on a beach somewhere, but since that wasn't going to happen, I was happy being where i was! Lol)

i can vouch for this last part...everytime i was at CAX the grunts at the warrior club were always good to go. i even went as far as inviting a few out to miramar to hang out and see how the other half lives...the guys i was haging out with were damn near insane and knew how to let their hair down (so to speak) made me proud to be a Marine to see how they have so much more comraderie than the majority of the air wing (i'm an airwinger)

Petz
09-11-09, 02:31 AM
i can vouch for this last part...everytime i was at CAX the grunts at the warrior club were always good to go. i even went as far as inviting a few out to miramar to hang out and see how the other half lives...the guys i was haging out with were damn near insane and knew how to let their hair down (so to speak) made me proud to be a Marine to see how they have so much more comraderie than the majority of the air wing (i'm an airwinger)

"what kind of hair cut would you like?" says the barber

Marine responds "low reg please"

that's how you let your hair down in the Corps.

GREY MATTER
09-11-09, 02:49 AM
"what kind of hair cut would you like?" says the barber

Marine responds "low reg please"

that's how you let your hair down in the Corps.

its funny you say that...cause i get medium regs, but the place i go does them high and im constantly getting the "nice MOTO cut"...lol

i can't do low reg...i feel like a scrub
gotta love the airwing....lol

brian0351
09-11-09, 03:18 AM
its funny you say that...cause i get medium regs, but the place i go does them high and im constantly getting the "nice MOTO cut"...lol

i can't do low reg...i feel like a scrub
gotta love the airwing....lol

HA! You could always be like a guy I used to know. Skin on the sides and 3in on top. It's still in regs but he looked like a curly haired q-tip!

GREY MATTER
09-11-09, 03:56 AM
HA! You could always be like a guy I used to know. Skin on the sides and 3in on top. It's still in regs but he looked like a curly haired q-tip!

i dont let the top get that long....
i have recently, but only cause i was out...hell i even had a full beard...lol

and i sent you a PM, because your screen name is super familiar

MIKECHRY
09-11-09, 01:44 PM
Son, I'll tell you what I told both of my sons. I was in the air wing and life was good. Never had to get up at 0500 to hump in the pouring rain. No heavy packs and nobody shooting at me. That said, both of my sons went 0311 and they both love it. Infantry is hard corp and if you're up to the task you get out of it what you put into it. I realize that eventually one or both of my sons will end up in Afghanistan, but that's what they want and I couldn't be prouder.