PDA

View Full Version : barrack living?

P00LEE
09-05-09, 06:51 PM
hi, just wondering what your allowed to have living in the barracks. i spent quite a bit of money on a tv not too long ago and i need to know if i should just get rid of it before i leave for bootcamp or keep it if i will be able to use it. thanks

echo3oscar1833
09-05-09, 08:33 PM
hi, just wondering what your allowed to have living in the barracks. i spent quite a bit of money on a tv not too long ago and i need to know if i should just get rid of it before i leave for bootcamp or keep it if i will be able to use it. thanks

Uhhh yeah no, tv is a no go in bootcamp. If I was you I would hang onto it, a tv once you get to your permanent duty stations is a good investment. I would advise getting some movies as well. Its a good investment to keep you out of trouble. Also way to go on a original user name "POOLEE, come on you couldn't come up with something more unique. Hope that answers your questions turd.:D

Echo3Lima
09-05-09, 08:34 PM
You can have whatever you want in the barracks AFTER bootcamp. Obviously you need to use common sense, no open flames, stoves, anything that will burn the place down or kill you. You'll probebly get a microwave and mini-fridge, so just work around that.

animal mother
09-05-09, 08:36 PM
Yea hold on to the tv....when you get to your duty station you can have it there.....

Now I have a question for you.....

If you make it through Marine Corps boot camp are you going to still use the name "POOLEE"?

dizark
09-05-09, 08:45 PM
Exactly. You obviously can't bring the TV to MCT or ITB with you, and you go right to your MOS School, so you could have it shipped to you at your MOS School, so long as it fits in a wall locker or secretary. If not, wait until you get to the fleet.

Good luck with boot camp.

P00LEE
09-05-09, 10:30 PM
thanks everyone. i meant after i get a permanent duty station. looks like it was money well spent along with my xbox and dvd collection :p

ameriken
09-05-09, 10:35 PM
Also way to go on a original user name "POOLEE, come on you couldn't come up with something more unique. Hope that answers your questions turd.:DHey, that is original. After all these years, no one thought of it! :yes::banana:

animal mother
09-05-09, 10:45 PM
Hey, that is original. After all these years, no one thought of it! :yes::banana:

haha good point

echo3oscar1833
09-05-09, 11:05 PM
Hey, that is original. After all these years, no one thought of it! :yes::banana:

Thats true:D

Petz
09-05-09, 11:33 PM
AND IT'S WITH ZEROS!!! OMG!!!!

anyways, depending on who your roomate is and how much he spent on his TV you might want to wait on bringing your TV to your room as someone else might have a huge flat screen that can be exposed to the abuses of Barracks life. Then you don't have to worry about it if the TV breaks 'cause he got drunk and knocked it over.

plus if you deploy it's one less thing to move and worry about, and when you come back if your new room mate doesn't have a TV you practically have a brand new one you can use!!

score.

I did that, worked out great.

P00LEE
09-06-09, 12:10 AM
AND IT'S WITH ZEROS!!! OMG!!!!

anyways, depending on who your roomate is and how much he spent on his TV you might want to wait on bringing your TV to your room as someone else might have a huge flat screen that can be exposed to the abuses of Barracks life. Then you don't have to worry about it if the TV breaks 'cause he got drunk and knocked it over.

plus if you deploy it's one less thing to move and worry about, and when you come back if your new room mate doesn't have a TV you practically have a brand new one you can use!!

score.

I did that, worked out great.

good lookin out. its a 47" so its not exactly small, but ill take your advice and hold out until its necessary to break it out. and as for my name, i was really suprised none of these bright moto poolees thought of putting zeros in the place of o's. :cool:

Skosh59
09-06-09, 08:50 AM
You can have whatever you want in the barracks AFTER bootcamp. Obviously you need to use common sense, no open flames, stoves, anything that will burn the place down or kill you. You'll probebly get a microwave and mini-fridge, so just work around that.

Damn sounds likes you all are going on vacation at the Hilton. I guess I'm showing my age but back aways in the fiftys & sixtys, if it didn't fit in your foot or wall locker FORGET IT. One TV per squad bay, never heard of microwave, you want a cold drink.. hit the machine in the lobby or jog over to the PX. Room mates ??? I had about 78 of them. :marine:

sparkie
09-06-09, 08:58 AM
Used to be transporting your tv meant breaking a few tubes.

Petz
09-06-09, 09:31 AM
they are even buying plasmas for each of the common areas now. when I was in the barracks the common areas were storage.

sparkie
09-06-09, 09:35 AM
The latest and greatist thing when I was in was reel to reel. Saturday music from every direction, what a mess.

Petz
09-06-09, 09:39 AM
yeah I bet, everyone playing their own music.

now the junior Marines are wondering why they can't a room to themselves. spoiled I tell you.

Supersquishy
09-06-09, 10:07 AM
That and the distinct clanking of glass beer bottles at 0200.

echo3oscar1833
09-06-09, 10:20 AM
That and the distinct clanking of glass beer bottles at 0200.

Yeah 1st Platoon used to be real bad about that. They were on the third deck above me. Those guys drank everynight, and would harass us HQ Plt guys down on the first deck lol. We gave them crap right back, but they had us in #'s they were a line Plt, we wernt haha.:D

TRosa06
09-06-09, 02:56 PM
You will be able to have it when you go to MOS school, bootcamp and MCT you wont be able to though.

09-06-09, 05:01 PM
The latest and greatist thing when I was in was reel to reel. Saturday music from every direction, what a mess.

Everybody and their dog bought a big honkin' stereo in Japan. The "rooms" were lockers arranged in a squadbay to form cubicles. Talk about noise! Rock, country, funk, R&B (thankfully, rap hadn't been invented yet), all trying to drown each other out! I still have my Kenwood that I bought in Iwakuni in 1977.