PDA

View Full Version : wondering?...

lax379
09-05-09, 06:46 PM
It's nothing about Boot Camp. But I was wondering how a war is classified as a World War ?

Zulu 36
09-05-09, 06:51 PM
It's nothing about Boot Camp. But I was wondering how a war is classified as a World War ?.

I supposed that is a decision best left to historians. They name the wars normally.

lax379
09-05-09, 07:07 PM
Yeah I suppose. I've always thought that it's a certain amount of countries that enter it. But I have no clue, that's why I posted this thread ! Thanks for the response Sgt.:beer:

Zulu 36
09-05-09, 07:38 PM
Yeah I suppose. I've always thought that it's a certain amount of countries that enter it. But I have no clue, that's why I posted this thread ! Thanks for the response Sgt.:beer:
I imagine the number of countries involved, size of the area of conflict, etc, all have a bearing. Plus the historians on the winning side usually get the naming honors too. Same with battles.

For instance, most battles during the Civil War were named differently by North and South. However, most history books now refer to the battles by the Northern given name. To the victors go the spoils, including naming rights.

lax379
09-05-09, 07:49 PM
Yeah that would make sense ! By historians, do you mean political people ? or do historians actually name them? Maybe a congress man that's a historian ? lol

awbrown1462
09-05-09, 07:55 PM
from the Merriam-Webster dictionary

Main Entry: world war
Function: noun
Date: 1909
: a war engaged in by all or most of the principal nations of the world (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/world); especially capitalized both Ws : either of two such wars of the first half of the 20th century

lax379
09-05-09, 08:00 PM
Thanks for clearing up my question Sgt. Brown !

ecfree
09-05-09, 08:07 PM
[quote=Zulu 36;541107]For instance, most battles during the Civil War were named differently by North and South.
Hey Chris,I think you mean,The War of Northern Aggresion...:D

Petz
09-06-09, 12:18 AM
they must have stopped teaching kids in America how to use a dictionary.

now you got the internet and wikipedia. two VERY trusty sources.

Zulu 36
09-06-09, 12:26 AM
[quote=Zulu 36;541107]For instance, most battles during the Civil War were named differently by North and South.
Hey Chris,I think you mean,The War of Northern Aggresion...:D

I guess that's the one, although I am a transplanted Yankee. :beer: