PDA

View Full Version : The Warrior and the War

thedrifter
08-08-03, 05:42 AM
Wade R. Sanders: The Warrior and the War

August 4, 2003

As I watched our returning prisoners of war receive the richly deserved cheers and admiration of their families and comrades, I could not help but be struck by the irony inherent in that celebration. I remember that when I, and too many others who served in Vietnam, returned home we were greeted with silence or angry condemnations. I will never forget being told that this was because the American people were unable to separate the warrior from the war. Now it seems that too many are unable to separate the war from the warrior.

Many of us who served honorably have watched with dismay as those who have dared to exercise their right to question the war, even while they were simultaneously clear in their support for all who serve, are ridiculed, attacked, and worse, called un-American or traitors. Some have compared the activities of the loudest of these voices, be it our President, certain members of congress, a.m. talk show hosts, or second rate country performers, as re-igniting an era of neo-McCarthyism. I hope not. However, the difference here is that, without countenancing his role in an American tragedy, at least Senator McCarthy served honorably in the military, which is more than can be said for aforementioned. They either never served in the military or used every means at their or their family's disposal, to avoid the possibility of military service or combat. Yet these "chicken hawks" are quick to wrap themselves in the flag of a country they never risked harm for and question the patriotism, or suggest the treason, of others.

It is especially ironic when these same individuals, including a certain White House press secretary who also assiduously avoided military service, question the patriotism of those who have served honorably, among them some of our most distinguished warriors, such as Generals Hoar and Zinni, because they had the temerity to doubt. It may only be a matter of time that they will turn on those mothers, fathers, sons and daughters of those killed in action who are now venturing to question the justification for the war in Iraq, and question their patriotism as well. Apparently these innocent victims believe their sacrifice some how earns them the right to speak out in opposition. It will be interesting to see if the cowardice and mendacity evidenced so far will extend to attacks against the patriotism of these innocent victims. I recall one cold morning thirty years ago at the entrance to Arlington Cemetery, facing a phalanx of Department of Defense guards. With crossed arms they refused to allow the wives of my friends who were killed in action enter the cemetery and place flowers on the graves of their husbands because it was learned they opposed the war. Will Secretary Rumsfeld, or others, seek to deny entrance to their contemporaries?

Finally, it must be said that the rousing airs of martial music and the chants of "U.S.A., U.S.A." must ring hollow in the ears of veterans languishing in underfunded facilities, or those unable to get treatment or disability compensation because the very same politicians who decry the patriotism of others, consistently refuse to fund adequate outreach and care to those who have, unlike them, served honorably.

We would do well to honor our warriors, and honor the rights and principles they defend. We would also do well to understand that they did not shed their lives, or suffer harm, for the United States, for the president, or for a flag. Those of us who have served in combat, and who have watched our friends die, understand that the only patriotism that exists on a battlefield is the loyalty and love shared by those who bear arms together. Medal of Honor recipient, and Marine Commandant, General David M. Shoup said it best when he was asked why Marines were so willing to die for their country. The General replied: "Marines don't die for their country; they die for the love of the Marines around them."

Our leadership, and our fellow patriots, would do well to apply a lot more love and understanding and a lot less fear.

Wade Sanders is a former deputy assistant secretary of the Navy, a decorated combat veteran and attorney practicing in San Diego. He can be reached at wade2000@cox.net.

http://www.military.com/NewContent?file=Sanders_080403&ESRC=marine.nl

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: