PDA

View Full Version : Forging bonds, one assignment at a time

thedrifter
09-05-09, 08:24 AM
Forging bonds, one assignment at a time

9/4/2009 By Lance Cpl. Lucas G. Lowe , Marine Corps Base Quantico

A cross-section model of a human torso stands proudly on a lab table like a statue of Alexander the Great, if hisabdomen were transparent, showing off his internal organs.

Precision instruments, hot plates and variety of beakers for pouring chemical solutions lend the room a sterile, alchemical vibe.

This is a science classroom furnished with uniquely non-scientific decorations — a bulletin board covered with photos of smiling students that could pass for page from a scrapbook — give the impression that not only learning, but bonding, has occurred within its walls.

Lynn Magalong-Lowe, a science teacher at Quantico Middle⁄High School, was named Teacher of the Year for the Department of Defense Education Activity’s New York⁄Virginia⁄Puerto Rico School District.

Lowe’s students wrote dozensof nomination letters, which she keeps in a portfolio.

‘‘It was student-driven,” said Lowe. ‘‘They initiated [my nomination.]”

Lowe knows about being in a military family and going to school.

Her father served in the Navy for a number of years. She attended 13 schools in just 12 years, including QMHS her seventh-, eighth- and 11th-grade years. To this she credits her ability to get through to students.

‘‘In such a small school, you tend to build relationships,” Lowe said.

‘‘It’s a balancing act,” said Lowe.

Lowe can identify with her students because of her youth spent in amilitary setting.

‘‘I was a student here [at QMHS], so I know what it’s like to be on the other side of the desk.”

She learned to embrace the ups and downs life in a military family during her childhood.

Her impressions of education at QMHS stand out, and she remembers the people who influenced her decision to teach.

‘‘I had great teachers here, rolemodels.”

Lowe actually prefers the unpredictability of teaching in a military environment to a more rigid institution.

‘‘There’s a lot of built-in flexibility with this way of life,” sheexplained. ‘‘Military children have to move around a lot — I get that.”

Lowe had come full circle when she started at QMHS in June 1988, having transitioned from student to teacher.She realized she was now working on the same faculty with some of herformer teachers.

‘‘I was nervous around them at first, but after a while you get comfortable with people and start building the really important interpersonal relationships,” Lowe said.

Lowe’s experience as a student shaped her philosophy as a teacher.

‘‘I was always encouraged, always challenged. And my teaching philosophy has always been: Failure is notan option.”

The academic discipline of scienceattracted Lowe because of its exactness.

‘‘It’s all very logical. There’s alwaysan answer.”

Her status as Teacher of the Year is special, not because it is a reflection on her, but because it is a testament to how her students, and peers, perceive her.

‘‘It’s meaningful because it originated with the students,” she said. ‘‘I think every teacher deserves recognition.”

‘‘Lowe is a teacher leader,” said Michael Hollier, principal of QMHS. Hollier has worked at QMHS first asassistant principal and later as principal.

‘‘She is highly admired by students and parents,” said Hollier. ‘‘This isbecause she provides a standards-based education for her students that is second to none.”

Lowe’s desk is covered with the typical materials one could expect to find in a classroom, but it also has a few oddobjects that seem out of place. One is a small toy in the shape of a brain a former student gave her after returning from summer vacation. The brain wasinspired by numerous assignments Lowe had given the student to draw the human brain in detail.

‘‘That’s means more than a certificate,” she said.

Lowe’s rapport with her studentsis often the product of teachingthem over a period of years, asthey take related courses.

Trevor Eafolla, a senior at QMHS, has been Lowe’s student for three years straight.

‘‘She’s straightforward and fair. She gives credit where it’s due and is really thorough,” said Eafolla.

Lowe’s role as mentor is expanding into the faculty of which she is a part. She is a 22-year veteran of teaching at QMHS, and many new teachers see her as a valuable source of information and guidance. She offers her advice to them:

‘‘You are the professional. You know what’s best. Never doubt yourself.”

— Correspondent: lucas.lowe@usmc.mil

Editor’s note: The subject of this story is not related to the correspondent.

Ellie