PDA

View Full Version : POVs and Reenlistment Extension Lateral Move

HawkerOneNiner
09-05-09, 12:14 AM
Hi everyone I am new to this site.

I have a really important question. I have a car but I am getting a LAT (RELM) move to a new MOS. Hopefully 1812 tank crewman. Anyways, can I drive myself to my new MOS school when I get orders and actually keep my car there while I attend?

I am LAT moving on bad terms. I was summary court-martialed, losing my old job because of it. Anyways they want to send me somewhere else. I am going to be a 2 year private by the time I actually go. TIS is 1 year 6 months.

MLMonk
09-05-09, 01:46 AM
Your orders will tell you if you rate it.

SGT7477
09-05-09, 07:54 AM
Your profile needs work Marine, Semper FI.

Petz
09-05-09, 09:08 AM
if it helps, New Marines who are in training status can't have POVs, but in most circumstances you should be allowed a POV. I'd say it's all dependant on the training command.

echo3oscar1833
09-05-09, 12:21 PM
Id be curious to know what you did, to get a Court Martial that caused to loose your MOS Rating. Ive never heard of that happening, does it have to do with a security clearance. Anyway its up to you if you wanna share that information, if you even can. I was just curious. SF:D

HawkerOneNiner
09-06-09, 03:15 PM
Id be curious to know what you did, to get a Court Martial that caused to loose your MOS Rating. Ive never heard of that happening, does it have to do with a security clearance. Anyway its up to you if you wanna share that information, if you even can. I was just curious. SF:D

I'd rather not say. I will just say that my offense could of been punishable with just a simple battalion level NJP. I did indeed loose my security clearance that was needed for my job.

commdog7
09-06-09, 05:25 PM
You didn't get drunk and drive over the SgtMaj's POV, did you?

HawkerOneNiner
09-06-09, 08:33 PM
Lol, I wish I would of but no.

Marine02231986
09-06-09, 09:03 PM
Hello everyone. Im new to this site like alot of people.

I have a question that i hope some people can narrow down for me.

Ive been in for four years, have done two OIF tours and i cant seem to decide if i wanna stay in or not. If I get out which is what ive been planning to do for awhile im gonna go to school and get a history degree. Its something that ive always wanted to do.

I was a 7212 (LAAD GUNNER) for my first two years, the mos was closing out and LAT moves were being offered to first termers so I took it. I chose supply because it was a last minute decision, the Career planner told me if i didnt do it now i would be able to do it, plus my GT was low and I couldn't retake my ASVAB cause I did patrols everyday and they kept rescheduling the test, I should of thought about it more, but me being a dumb LCPL just went for it. I came out to Iraq agian this year and retook my ASVAB and got a 112 GT. I wanna go into Comm 0622 field and go to Pendelton cause I hate Lejeune. Maybe go to Afghan.

Would it be wise to burn up my last Lat move? Anyone know what 0622 school and field is like? Anyone know a 0600 monitor I can talk to?

Thanks for your help. Hopefully this helps me.

Semper Fi
CPL MITCHELL LANDER USMC

Petz
09-06-09, 09:53 PM
um, this isn't really the spot to post this question but I'll answer it anyways.

you only really get ONE lat move as an incentive to reenlist. but you will get a lat move if your MOS closes as yours did.

even if you're a SNCO you'll be allowed to lat move again if it happens again. MOSs merge in some field which limit boat spaces and allow you to lat move again.

so taking the option to Lat move into a new MOS is a great opportunity for you. I'd say go for something good. I have no idea about comm, CommDog7 is, well comm.

she should be able to answer your questions.

as for duty station, sorry. a Lat move is the best a CarPlanner can do for you. You'll need to work out your location with your future monitor and your school house instructors.

as for your degree, you can work on the basics in some of the less demanding MOSs so you can get your BS in less time after the Corps.

as a note, Stay Marine regardless and be active in either the IRR or SMCR by attaching to a unit.

even if you choose to do another 4 of AD, reenlist for 4 more in the IRR with your carplanner so you don't fall off contract (you could always pick up in the IRR)

commdog7
09-07-09, 05:02 AM
It depends on what you want to do in the comm field. I ain't gonna lie, most radio ops hate the mos. You mostly do inventories, massive massive inventories. If your lucky, you might be able to set up and tear down the gear, but that's not as fun as it sounds. You will probably spend more time filling sand bags and digging trenches to bury the cables then actually working with the radios- at least that has been my experience. If you get attached to a grunt unit, you will be humping a lot. You have to carry the same size pack as they do, but with a radio (and all its gear) as additional weight. If I were you, I'd stay in your current mos or lat move somewhere else... I'm planning a lat move myself.

Accord
09-07-09, 02:32 PM
I have never met a comm guy who wasn't counting down the days until his EAS...

Supersquishy
09-07-09, 02:52 PM
The good thing with being a 0621 radio operator is that there's always a use for them in most locations, Right? So if you want to change units it would be "easier" than say a specialized mos such as a Harrier Jet Mech. As they only have two places to pick, Cherry Point or Yuma, AZ.