PDA

View Full Version : TO go Infantry then LatMove to Intel OR Intel and go out for Recon? Please Help!!

Kmwhite08
09-03-09, 05:39 PM
Hello Marines, Wannabe here asking for a little insight on what you Marines feel would be the best course of action for me.

A little about me: Spent a year in college (ran out of money)
In process of enlisting (no ship date)
Physically Fit and anticipating Boot Camp
Got a 76 on the ASVAB. Waiting to take DLAB

I had had my mind made u on going 0311, staying for four years then LatMoving to Intel but my recruiter just informed me he would do anything to see me NOT go the infantry way. I know its my decision in the end but I have another route. I could enlist with an 0231 Intel Analyst, complete training, graduate, THEN go for some sort of spec ops (Radio Recon or MARSOC).

So I just wanted some input from you Marines on what you'd do or what you feel I should do.

Thanks in advanced Marines! :usmc:

samthomas
09-03-09, 05:43 PM
Did your recruiter give you a reason for not going 03?

Do what you think best. Just realize that most people don't stay in for more than one enlistment, so there isn't a while lot of point in planning out your transition to super squirrel.

Kmwhite08
09-03-09, 06:17 PM
He doesn't want me to die. That's what he said. I understand where he is coming from but I am not thinking about dying, I cant stop it but Im not going to not follow a dream just because of the fear or dying.

samthomas
09-03-09, 06:20 PM
Any MOS can and will suffer fatalities. If you want to be an 03, go for it. If down the road you want to try something else, you might have the chance. Four years is not a long time, but it is if you are doing something you don't want to do.

Accord
09-03-09, 07:57 PM
He doesn't want me to die. That's what he said. I understand where he is coming from but I am not thinking about dying, I cant stop it but Im not going to not follow a dream just because of the fear or dying.

Your recruiter is a ****ing idiot and is the very reason recruiters get a bad name.

Accord
09-03-09, 08:01 PM
If you want to eventually go to recon or marsoc, then you need to go infantry. PERIOD. No if's, and's, or but's about it. There are two Marine Corps', the grunts and everybody else. Recon won't allow you to put in a package unless you're an 03, and you'll have a slim chance at passing the marsoc screening after spending four years as a pogue. There are things you do and experience in the infantry that are requisite for being able to operate in a specialized unit.

And if you go marsoc, have fun being a pogue in SOTG. Right now marsoc is an absolute joke and the system is completely jacked up, you go through the screening and complete the whole pipeline only to end up as some motor T pogue or whatever in SOTG. Unless you can get a guaranteed slot in MSOB, which you cannot, then marsoc ain't worth it.

Kmwhite08
09-03-09, 11:38 PM
Thanks for that Accord. My recruiter is not going to make things easy for me when I tell him I'm still going in as 0311, I'm pretty sure he will slow my enlistment process and my ship date will be pushed. So its either let that crap happen or just go to MEPS and pick an 03XX with out him knowing.

Just seems like it will backfire for me either way I go.
What to do?

Accord
09-04-09, 08:08 AM
Thanks for that Accord. My recruiter is not going to make things easy for me when I tell him I'm still going in as 0311, I'm pretty sure he will slow my enlistment process and my ship date will be pushed. So its either let that crap happen or just go to MEPS and pick an 03XX with out him knowing.

Just seems like it will backfire for me either way I go.
What to do?

You're not a Marine, you're not in the military, you're not subject to the UCMJ... tell him to give you what you want or he can go **** himself and you'll go to another recruiting office. Grow some balls, it's your career he doesn't give a damn about you. He works for you, not the other way around, and if you're not satisfied then go to another recruiting office.

Petz
09-04-09, 08:12 AM
MarSOC is taking from all support MOSs now. and recon has always taken from other MOSs.

I knew a MT Maint Sgt when I was a LCpl got Recon, ended up seeing him in Iraq just before the push in 03 as a full-on recon bubba.

you don't need to be 03xx, you will learn all new techniques anyway since they don't fight the same way.