PDA

View Full Version : High School Graduation

pooleegroover
09-02-09, 03:28 PM
Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening Marines. Im completing high school a semester early and leaving for boot camp in late January/ early February. The thing is that I want to attend my high school graduation which is in June. The MOS I chose was 03XX UW with the PRP program. Once I complete boot and 10 days leave ill be in SOI East. I was wondering if the SOI would allow me to take 1-2 days of leave to attend the graduation and walk with my graduating class? Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post. Just wanted to give as much information as possible.:)

MyCorps
09-02-09, 03:47 PM
I wouldn't count on it...but ask when you get there anyways...

Petz
09-02-09, 05:25 PM
I concur.

GyC
09-02-09, 07:52 PM
Won't happen... S/F

marine95
09-03-09, 05:10 AM
GyC,

Well said. They want to graduate early to get to bootcamp, then leave in mid stride to be apart of something they never should have left. Go figure???????

Petz
09-03-09, 08:59 AM
GyC the destroyer (of dreams)

tangovictor87
09-03-09, 02:02 PM
you can try to ask for recruiter's assistant, but that is getting more rare these days.

if you make it through boot camp you will remember every detail of that day, forever. i dont even know what date i graduated high school. but i do know i graduated Delta Co. on 20080509 it was sunny and then i took my lady to the westin downtown:banana:

point is a Marine career surpasses anything you'll ever do in high school.

pooleegroover
09-03-09, 06:04 PM
Thank you all for your answers. The reason why I asked is because they wanted me to speak at the graduation to describe how I accomplished my goals. Basically,its to show that something positive can come from my school. If you google Savannah High School then you would understand why they want me to.lol

Petz
09-03-09, 06:09 PM
tell them part of your goals it to become a United States Marine... maybe write them a small speech the valedictorian can read for them.

Rocky C
09-03-09, 06:10 PM
In todays technical world you can always send a Video Link.

pooleegroover
09-03-09, 06:12 PM
Both of those are great ideas.I'll look into it. Thank you to all of the Marines who helped.

TheCrazySwede
09-03-09, 06:23 PM
I was in your exact position before. I graduated a 4 months earlier than everyone else and I tried talking to a recruiter about me going to the grad. He said we had to see what would happen, but in the end I couldn't go. Not to burst your bubble or anything, but you will most likely not be able to attend the grad.

pooleegroover
09-03-09, 07:26 PM
Thank you Sgt. I figured that I wouldn't be able to. Just wanted to have some outside opinions.

TheCrazySwede
09-03-09, 09:01 PM
No problem, I'm sorry, I know it sucks, but trust me, after boot camp, you'll be begging for more training. :D
(FYI, I was being sarcastic :banana:)

GyC
09-04-09, 02:14 PM
Just arrange with your Recruiter/ SNCOIC to have Recruiter's Assistance... They can make it happen as long as thye request you in a timely fashion and can justify the reason... S/F

pooleegroover
09-04-09, 03:02 PM
But Gyc, what if I graduated in April and the graduation isnt until June 21st. Would they allow you to stay on R/A for that long then report to SOI? Also, I have an Infantry contract.

Petz
09-04-09, 03:03 PM
if it's that long you might actually be able to finish SOI by then.... honestly I have no idea, but I doubt you can have RA that long.

GyC
09-06-09, 12:59 PM
Sorry, did not read that thoroughly... I revert back to my first post.. Not going to happen.. Good luck with everything though! S/F

commdog7
09-06-09, 01:16 PM
Thank you Sgt.

I couldn't resist....

TheCrazySwede is not a Sergeant or a Marine, he is an identified POSER! RhodeIsland and myself discovered the truth in another thread. Don't thank him, all he has done is lie.