PDA

View Full Version : Black Socks with boots

earningthetitle
09-02-09, 02:01 AM
I was talking with a Sgt today about this, I had been told when I joined a year ago that black socks had been allowed with cammies but the regs had changed. In the order it says that black dress socks can only be used as a liner underneath the coyote brown socks. Then it also says that green and black cushion socks can be used until unserviceable.

I had told the Sgt that I was told black socks were no longer authorized and he said to prove it. So I showed him and the other Marines in my class the order. Their reaction was pretty much that I was dumb for how I was interpretting the order, but it seems pretty clear. They all agreed that it meant black dress socks (which is generally what I see worn) weren't authorized with boots, but that they could still wear black socks.

Does anyone here have some enlightenment on the order? Im not going to keep pushing the issue because its not a big deal but I wanted to know for personal future reference.

GREY MATTER
09-02-09, 02:13 AM
i truly believe the order is addressing the dress socks, rather than black boot socks...they are different

NoRemorse
09-02-09, 07:18 AM
Black dress socks; while more comfortable and breathable in boots, are not authorized for wear with boots alone.

0331 2 0369
09-02-09, 07:31 AM
The order does apply to the black cushion socks that are worn with boots. If you were issued black or green cushion socks then you could continue to wear them till they wore out and became unserviceable. At which point you should replace them with the new coyote colored socks. It was this way when they started doing away with the green jungle boots and even the older black leather boots prior to the speed lace style. Wear them till they brake then buy the new stuff.

Accord
09-03-09, 07:53 PM
Holy crap, who cares! I mean, get on someone about having a misaligned chevron, dirty cammies in garrison, etc. but the color of your socks... are you kidding me? I feel sorry for Marines who have a chain of command like that. I can't remember the last time I wore socks that were any color but white.

fmwright
09-03-09, 08:06 PM
Hummmm, we had OD green socks for wear with black boots. White if you got a 'sock chit' from sick bay due to athletes foot.

Oh how things have changed.

FistFu68
09-03-09, 10:03 PM
:evilgrin: Blacks where it's at,Silent Buttt Deadly;Yo Skivves 2 :p :thumbup:

Mac3043
09-03-09, 11:21 PM
S.O.B. I just typed a great response to the thread and I guess I took too long. I was timed out for my login. I'll try tomorrow.

earningthetitle
09-04-09, 01:36 AM
It really is a stupid issue to worry about for everyday, I prefer wearing the thin black socks when its warm, lets the ventsdo what they should. But I like to know what orders I'm not following so if somebody brings it up I can react appropriately

BR34
09-04-09, 02:04 PM
Wear whatever socks you want. Just keep your trousers covering them. Problem solved.

Old Marine
09-04-09, 04:01 PM
Makes me wonder just who the hell writes these Orders. Wonder what they say about skidmarks in skivies. I still have some skivies that I was issued in 1953 with snaps on the front and ties (for sizing) on the sides.

Supersquishy
09-04-09, 04:05 PM
Makes me wonder just who the hell writes these Orders. Wonder what they say about skidmarks in skivies. I still have some skivies that I was issued in 1953 with snaps on the front and ties (for sizing) on the sides.

Jeez, those skivies with skid marks must be crusty by now.:sick:

sscjoe
09-04-09, 08:47 PM
Wear whatever socks you want. Just keep your trousers covering them. Problem solved.

Times have changed I guess, the only socks we could wear were the O.D. green and they would check, part of uniform inspection. Pussy and boots now I quess!!:banana:

BR34
09-05-09, 09:55 AM
Times have changed I guess, the only socks we could wear were the O.D. green and they would check, part of uniform inspection. Pussy and boots now I quess!!:banana:

It's understandable for inspections. Everyone should be the same.

But for the average work day? No one with any good sense is going to check. Same thing goes for marking the socks.

Supersquishy
09-05-09, 09:56 AM
Whats wrong with white sox? I bet Achped wears them LOL.

GREY MATTER
09-05-09, 11:33 AM
what happened to integrity?
white sox are not part of your Marine Corps uniform unless you are in PT gear

Supersquishy
09-05-09, 11:55 AM
hehe, I was bustin balls about the white sox. Seen it before though, just not on me in Cammies!

Zulu 36
09-05-09, 11:57 AM
A year or so ago I ran across a website that sold socks that were white on the foot, but black or OD green from there up. They were being marketed to the military and police. The socks cost a bit more than average, but it is an option.

I suppose you could always surf around like I was doing (actually I was looking for camping gear and wilderness first aid stuff and these popped up on a site I looked at).

P.S. Just before I sent this I remember my Air Guard unit commander had two-toned socks, with white foot/black tops he bought to take to Desert Storm. I have no clue anymore where he got them, so they've been out there since at least 1990.

GREY MATTER
09-05-09, 05:59 PM
A year or so ago I ran across a website that sold socks that were white on the foot, but black or OD green from there up. They were being marketed to the military and police. The socks cost a bit more than average, but it is an option.

I suppose you could always surf around like I was doing (actually I was looking for camping gear and wilderness first aid stuff and these popped up on a site I looked at).

P.S. Just before I sent this I remember my Air Guard unit commander had two-toned socks, with white foot/black tops he bought to take to Desert Storm. I have no clue anymore where he got them, so they've been out there since at least 1990.

those are the sox i use now (they sell them at the uniform shop on base), but only because i cant seem to find thorlos anymore..

earningthetitle
09-06-09, 01:56 AM
Is there something special about having a white sock?

GREY MATTER
09-06-09, 04:00 AM

the ones i have i dont like....i prefer thorlos, but i cant find them anymore

fmwright
09-07-09, 06:32 PM

Here you go......

http://www.thorlo.com/

fmwright
09-07-09, 06:35 PM

You could bleach them in hot water to kill the fungus. Hard to do with OD Green, ask me how I know..........

ianmusto
09-08-09, 01:52 AM
Makes me wonder what happend to NCO's. Is it your choice to decide whats acceptable or not? No, go get a Commision then change it, until then hold your damn Marines accountable and to the standard.

Alisium
09-08-09, 03:16 AM

They used to sell socks like that at the PX in Horno and at SOI. Only, they were all black with white toes and heels. Much much better than the standard OD green socks which would lose their elasticity and fall down after just a few weeks.

In fact, I still have an wear those particular socks years later. They are good to go.

Also, as long as the socks weren't white or too eccentric no one really cared what color they were.

I say, rifle, brain, feet... these are your three most important tools. I'll take care of my feet the way I need to and if that means buying socks that aren't regulation then, so be it.

But, then, I'm also not afraid to wear panty-hose to mitigate chaffing.

Supersquishy
10-06-09, 12:37 PM

They sell 'em here. http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=7580&TabID=548&cs=1

MLMonk
10-06-09, 04:25 PM
I just wear dark brown boot socks I bought from Wal-Mart, no one has said anything to me about them at all, they're comfortable, and I don't get blisters like the issued socks gave me, or dress socks. I think it just should be as long as it's not white, then you should be fine.

Jeff5886
11-01-09, 07:45 PM
All I wear is black boot socks.

commdog7
11-01-09, 08:32 PM
I wanna wear pink socks.... :yes:

SlingerDun
11-01-09, 08:33 PM
Wear whatever socks you want...As long as they are lightweight and made of at least 80% Merino wool:cool:. Surprisingly the lightweights don't cook my feet any worse than cotton does in the summer and less than acrylic and poly. They don't smell near as bad even after wearing them extensively between washings which leads me to believe the wool blend has antimicrobial properties that do not diminish with washings like factory treated synthetics do. Laborers and outdoor enthusiasts love Merino wool socks until they are trashed, upon at which time if you bought the "lifetime sock" from BassProShops, they will be replaced for free. Best deal in the world if your near a retailer. Better even than the Danner factory second store.

--->Dave

Wyoming
11-01-09, 08:40 PM
Unless I am on a float, I wear boots every day and ain't never sure what color my socks are until I pull off me boots.

Pink ain't a bad idea though. It would show my sooavie, deboner and feminissy side.

Maybe me and CD7 could share.