PDA

View Full Version : parris island

1proudmom
09-02-09, 12:59 AM
my son graduates sept 1 at parris,i have no idea what to do! i've been all over the net,everyone has something different,so my question is do i book a hotel now? is their anything i should take for him? etc clothes... i hate to seem ignorant,but we don't know a soul in mitilary.we live 5 hours away near asheville n.c. so its really not far from home.any ideas

sparkie
09-02-09, 07:11 AM
September 1st? Must be a typo. Decide if you want a room, or just drive up there,and drive him home. Not much need for civvies if you're just driving him home.

NoRemorse
09-02-09, 07:16 AM
I'm assuming it's September 11th in that case. Unless you want to go on the extended tour just drive up, watch the graduation ceremony, use your hankie, and take your new Marine home.

temarti
09-02-09, 07:56 AM
You should have or are receiving a packet in the mail with the invitation, places to stay, the family day schedule.... All that information is in there.

marinemom
09-02-09, 08:30 AM
Once you have the packet, make the reservation - you do not want to miss Family Day or the graduation - one suggestion, get a motel outside of Beaufort - the rates seem to go up on graduation weekends.

And remember to have extra pocket packs of Kleenex - you will need them as you see your son and the other cross the Peatross Parade Deck - trust me on this one.

KaBar762
09-02-09, 09:03 AM
I would bring a change of clothes for your new Marine. Most everyone in the platoon I graduated with couldn't wait to get into civilian clothes.

Lisa 23
09-02-09, 09:12 AM
Be sure to drop by the Douglas Center to sign in. Maybe Cpl Hummer will stop by, the Parris Island Marine Corps mascot. He's sooooo cute! I was just there this past Friday, Aug 28th, to see my nephew graduate.
Try not to miss the 'motovational run', which starts at 7am. You'll be able to pick your son out from the other Recruits in his platoon from a distance while they are stretching out before the run.
If they have a morning colors ceremony in front of the CG's building, don't miss it. It's a great ceremony and the Parris Island Marine band plays a few tunes before morning colors. Then it's off to graduation.
It was pretty hot and humid while I as there; and be sure to take comfortable shoes to walk in.
Have a great time and CONGRATS to you and your family and to your soon to be Marine!

Be sure to check this site out also...it may have some helpful info for you and your family.
http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/graduation/ceremony.asp

1proudmom
09-02-09, 11:54 PM
yep,sorry oct 1 is the date.thank you to everyone that replied.

MD8724
09-03-09, 12:12 AM
Have him some civilian attire and a bottle of water (for right after the ceremony). It's going to be hott and nobody in there right mind wants to drive 5 hours in any type of uniform. Other than that, I'm sure he will let you know where he wants to eat (probably the first place you come to in beaufort) :)

Big Jim
09-03-09, 02:05 AM
....and alot of pizza...........!!!!! great info Leese.......!

marinemom
09-03-09, 08:20 AM
Folks, while you make the suggestions about civvies, remember how you changed during boot - I did take some stuff down for tigger, but he had lost the flab and changed to all muscle - the jeans that I brought almost fell off his butt.

If necessary, hit the BX, they do have clothing there

Trucrimsongold
09-03-09, 08:46 AM
Dont hang around the island when he graduates. Take him home. That is all he has been thinking about for his entire time in hell. When I graduated since my folks were split, though they both came down to watch me My dad was the one who made it right.
He took me from PI to Myrtle Beach and we got a room on the beach which was awesome. Went out the first night after graduation to a all you can eat seafood buffet and my stomach was not ready for that much good food. I also tried to drink a couple of beers and had a crazy buzz from just two. We gave up tryin to live like kings and He took me home. It was all I wanted to do. The same thing applied after school completion in Lejunne and San Diego then again after my first float away for almost eight months then again after the gulf deployment.
I loved to chase women and drink with my buds like the best of them. But nothing compared to just "going home".

Trucrimsongold
09-03-09, 08:48 AM
Folks, while you make the suggestions about civvies, remember how you changed during boot - I did take some stuff down for tigger, but he had lost the flab and changed to all muscle - the jeans that I brought almost fell off his butt.

If necessary, hit the BX, they do have clothing there

I had to buy a whole new wardrobe. I went from 225 to 160. Friends didn't recognize me.

MicMarine
09-03-09, 09:31 AM
yep,sorry oct 1 is the date.thank you to everyone that replied.

Ha, one of my buddies is a Drill Instructor in your son's Company.

dizark
09-03-09, 09:40 AM
My daughter loved seeing Cpl Hummer. Family day is a great experience for your new Marine to see you, so be sure to go there. As far as hotels go, my father tried to book in advance and hotels on base were already booked, so he got a reservation at a hotel about a mile away from the base. My wife, daughter, and him stayed there Wednesday night, Thursday night, and we left PI around 1330 on Graduation day.

Trust me, I spent 4.5 months on the island, and before 3 months were even there, I couldn't wait to get away from the island. Congrats and enjoy yourself. Oh and bring a camera for pictures.

1proudmom
09-04-09, 12:30 AM
Ha, one of my buddies is a Drill Instructor in your son's Company.

plz, tell me he's a kind and patience man! it's not salcedo is it