PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions

vikings28
09-01-09, 04:14 PM
If you can offer any insight please do

1. After DEP, do you get a uniform? My friend joined the army and went to DEP, and the first time I saw him at school, he had his BDU on, because he had to report before being considered AWOL. So that made me wonder if that is just the Army or not. (I assumed not, but just want to be sure)

2. Can I join while im in HS or do I have to wait. I read that you have to have/be on your way to earing a HS Degree.

Zulu 36
09-01-09, 04:19 PM
Find your way to rules and stickies of this site, then post a profile. Report back when done and your questions will be answered.

vikings28
09-01-09, 04:36 PM
where are those at? sorry

Lisa 23
09-01-09, 05:03 PM
[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048&page=15

Read this before posting in Ask A Marine
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

vikings28
09-01-09, 06:48 PM
Okay I believe I did that right. Thanks!

Petz
09-01-09, 07:17 PM
he needed a uniform while in school so he can report as to not be AWOL? what?

rethink your first question then re-write it.

vikings28
09-01-09, 07:51 PM
he needed a uniform while in school so he can report as to not be AWOL? what?

rethink your first question then re-write it.

The question was whether or not you recieve a uniform after completing DEP.
What he said was "I have to report by the end of the day otherwise im considered AWOL." I also thought it was weird that he would wear it to school, but at the end of te day, i saw another kid wearing one too. :confused:

Zulu 36
09-01-09, 08:25 PM
The question was whether or not you recieve a uniform after completing DEP.
What he said was "I have to report by the end of the day otherwise im considered AWOL." I also thought it was weird that he would wear it to school, but at the end of te day, i saw another kid wearing one too. :confused:

In the Marine Corps you get no uniform until you get to boot camp. So in that sense, yes, you do get a uniform after completing DEP. You complete DEP the day you ship to boot camp.

Yes, you can enter DEP in your senior year of HS. You cannot go to boot camp until you graduate HS and have turned 18 years old.

Who knows what the Army does and why. You swear into the Army, they start calling you soldier. You swear into the Marine Corps and you are a Poolee until you go to boot camp, then you are a Recruit until you graduate boot camp. Only then are you called a Marine. Earned, never given.

vikings28
09-01-09, 08:28 PM
In the Marine Corps you get no uniform until you get to boot camp. So in that sense, yes, you do get a uniform after completing DEP. You complete DEP the day you ship to boot camp.

Yes, you can enter DEP in your senior year of HS. You cannot go to boot camp until you graduate HS and have turned 18 years old.

Who knows what the Army does and why. You swear into the Army, they start calling you soldier. You swear into the Marine Corps and you are a Poolee until you go to boot camp, then you are a Recruit until you graduate boot camp. Only then are you called a Marine. Earned, never given.

Thanks for clearing that up! So could I do DEP the summer before I become a senior?

Zulu 36
09-01-09, 08:30 PM
Thanks for clearing that up! So could I do DEP the summer before I become a senior?

You need to talk to a Marine recruiter in your hometown about that. There is more than just declaring yourself in DEP. Search this site for information - there is plenty to find.

vikings28
09-02-09, 03:27 PM
You need to talk to a Marine recruiter in your hometown about that. There is more than just declaring yourself in DEP. Search this site for information - there is plenty to find.

I know there is more than declaring yourself, I just wondered if I could at least do that while I am in HS.

Petz
09-02-09, 05:18 PM
yes you can be in the DEP while in HS so long as you graduate before the year is up, and there is a ship date before you graduate. You'd have to see what's available from your recruiter.

slimmy07
09-02-09, 07:20 PM

Yes you can. You can DEP in june prior to your senior year. The advantage to that is you will have first choice of MOS available. Another HUGE perk to the DEP is the chance to help your recruiter enlist 2 people and earn E-2 right out of boot camp.

slimmy07
09-02-09, 07:22 PM
Another thing, if your just a junior right now, meaning you graduate in 2011. You can still work out with the DEP. You might not be in the DEP, but you can work out with them and get yourself ready to DEP after your junior year.