PDA

View Full Version : Looking at going Army officer

firebrick
08-31-09, 02:41 PM
Im in the reserves right now, 0311. Just over halfway through my contract and am looking at switching over to Army and going officer in the intel field. Im too old to go Marine officer and Id like to stay around here where I could be reserve intel. Anyone have experience with doing this type of switch or know someone who has? Thanks for the help.

0331 2 0369
08-31-09, 02:43 PM
GSEMarine94 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=57986) used to be in the Corps. He went over to the dark side of the tracks though. :D He was recently commissioned in the Guard if I'm not mistaken.

firebrick
08-31-09, 02:46 PM
Ill always be glad I went Marine first, but if im going to stay in long term I have to look at all my options. My friend who is a 1st lt here, Army intel, says I should give it a looksee.

0331 2 0369
08-31-09, 02:49 PM
No one can hold it against you for trying to make a better life for yourself or family. Good luck to you.:beer:

GSEMarine94
08-31-09, 03:01 PM
Gunny is correct, I have just been commissioned in the Guard. What exactly are you wanting to do, other then go intel? Just by looking at your profile I can say you are young enough to become an officer.

firebrick
08-31-09, 03:27 PM
Im 31 in 2 weeks. Im a firefighter here so I cant move. My buddy is an intel officer in the Army guard here. I have almost 2 years left in my reserve 0311 contract and am looking at getting a packet together to go OCS and wind up in the unit my buddy is in. I have an associates degree, scored a 99 on the asvab so I think intel would be a good fit. Infantry is great but my body wont like it too much longer. How hard was the process to switch over?

GSEMarine94
08-31-09, 03:47 PM
I didn't actually switch over, as I had been out of the Corps for 11 years. I just got back from OCS a couple of weeks ago and there was a guy in my platoon that did switch over from the Navy reserve, so it is possible. I can say that the Army and the Guard are hurting for officers right now so they will help you in any way they can. Contact your states officer strength manager (usually a Major) they are the officer recruiters and are a wealth of knowledge.
How many credits do you have? To be eligible for OCS you have to have a min of 60 credits, and that's for the "traditional OCS program" which takes a year to complete, if you have 90 credits you can go to the "Accelerated OCS program" which is a 2 month course given once in the winter and once in the summer. Either way you have to have a bachelors before you pick up Capt.

Supersquishy
08-31-09, 03:54 PM
With the associates you can go Warrant.

samthomas
08-31-09, 04:11 PM
I had been out of the Corps for 11 years. I just got back from OCS a couple of weeks ago..

How has the transition back into uniform been? I have only been out 8 years, and it seems like forever.

What sort of options were you given for job classification when you became an officer?

GSEMarine94
08-31-09, 05:18 PM
How has the transition back into uniform been? I have only been out 8 years, and it seems like forever.

What sort of options were you given for job classification when you became an officer?

It hasn't been all that difficult, for me getting back into shape wasn't real fun but that was my own fault. Learning the Army lingo was fun, can't tell you how many push ups I did because I called attention on deck instead of just attention.

Options are really dependant on your state, if there's a certain branch you want, say engineers then your state has to have an engineering unit. But as I mentioned earlier the Guard is really hurting for officers and they love prior service.

thewookie
08-31-09, 05:23 PM
It hasn't been all that difficult, for me getting back into shape wasn't real fun but that was my own fault. Learning the Army lingo was fun, can't tell you how many push ups I did because I called attention on deck instead of just attention.

Options are really dependant on your state, if there's a certain branch you want, say engineers then your state has to have an engineering unit. But as I mentioned earlier the Guard is really hurting for officers and they love prior service.

That's good info, thanks. I talked to the ANG a few months ago about going to OCS. I'm still on the fence, I just hit 60 credits, but right now I'm working my resume through the PMC channels first. Then I'll explore it again. Keep us posted, Semper Fi

BR34
08-31-09, 05:25 PM
With the associates you can go Warrant.

He can go Warrant without any college at all, but as a LCpl it'll be a while before he's eligible, and by then he'll be too old to go OCS.

GSEMarine94
08-31-09, 05:33 PM
That's good info, thanks. I talked to the ANG a few months ago about going to OCS. I'm still on the fence, I just hit 60 credits, but right now I'm working my resume through the PMC channels first. Then I'll explore it again. Keep us posted, Semper Fi

Good luck, if you ever have any questions just PM me.

firebrick
08-31-09, 05:48 PM
I was looking at intel since my friend is in it and seems to like it. He said there is an OCS class starting in march which is one weekend a month I believe. Fits in with my work schedule. Didnt know if I would have a problem trying to get out of my unit though. We shouldnt be set to deploy again for awhile as we got back last August.

GSEMarine94
08-31-09, 06:36 PM
I was looking at intel since my friend is in it and seems to like it. He said there is an OCS class starting in march which is one weekend a month I believe. Fits in with my work schedule. Didnt know if I would have a problem trying to get out of my unit though. We shouldnt be set to deploy again for awhile as we got back last August.

Your friend is talking about the traditional program. I would talk with your PL and tell him of your plans, as well as talking with the Guard OSM for your state. I'll look tonight and see if I can't come up with some phone numbers.

flyby
08-31-09, 09:24 PM
Im in the reserves right now, 0311. Just over halfway through my contract and am looking at switching over to Army and going officer in the intel field. Im too old to go Marine officer and Id like to stay around here where I could be reserve intel. Anyone have experience with doing this type of switch or know someone who has? Thanks for the help.

Firebrick, you are not too old to go to OCS. Per RECEP, the max age is waiverable to 35. Also, as long as your max constructive age is under 35 you can also apply to the OCC-R program. Finish your degree and apply to Marine OCS. If you can't get in then you can always go to the other side. I tried out the Guard but got out and am now trying to come back in. I sent you a PM. Please check.

usmcspitfire
08-31-09, 09:33 PM
Firebrick, you are not too old to go to OCS. Per RECEP, the max age is waiverable to 35. Also, as long as your max constructive age is under 35 you can also apply to the OCC-R program. Finish your degree and apply to Marine OCS. If you can't get in then you can always go to the other side. I tried out the Guard but got out and am now trying to come back in. I sent you a PM. Please check.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but age waivers for anyone are near impossible right now. Even with prior-service Marines running 280+ PFTs. I know this because I work in a OSS. Having said that, it wouldn't hurt to at least talk to your nearest OSO about the OCC-R contract.

S/F

flyby
08-31-09, 09:43 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but age waivers for anyone are near impossible right now. Even with prior-service Marines running 280+ PFTs. I know this because I work in a OSS. Having said that, it wouldn't hurt to at least talk to your nearest OSO about the OCC-R contract.

S/F

usmcspitfire, is the SMCR still in need of Officers? I thought that there was still a major shortage of company grade officers? Thanks.

usmcspitfire
08-31-09, 10:00 PM
usmcspitfire, is the SMCR still in need of Officers? I thought that there was still a major shortage of company grade officers? Thanks.

There is, however there are 21-25 year old (some prior service) with no waivers and very high PFTs competing for slots. With the economy in its current state, the selection boards can afford to be very selective, hence the rare age waiver.

At the last selection board for OCC-202, the October class, we had a 23 year old with no waivers and a 283 PFT get turned down.

Like I said, I would suggest the OP at least contact an OSO to check his options.

firebrick
08-31-09, 11:06 PM

The only Reserve unit we have around here is Infantry, and while ive never had less than a 280pft my age, 31 and only being a lcpl, is catching up to me, if I dont switch to a different job, im out in 2 years. But I wouldnt switch unless it was officer, wouldnt make sense to, Id just get out. I dont need the money, I have a great job, just wanted to stay in the service.

Supersquishy
09-01-09, 05:30 AM
There is, however there are 21-25 year old (some prior service) with no waivers and very high PFTs competing for slots. With the economy in its current state, the selection boards can afford to be very selective, hence the rare age waiver.

At the last selection board for OCC-202, the October class, we had a 23 year old with no waivers and a 283 PFT get turned down.

Like I said, I would suggest the OP at least contact an OSO to check his options.

Shoot. I thought if a Reserve unit had an open billet(s) then it was up to the unit to accept the applicant.

I know of a person who went through OCS for the Marines only to be held up because of questions about his parents citizenship. He says hes commisioned but is on hold for the moment, I don't know if hes telling the truth or not, but also says its scary for him because he doesnt know if he will get in because its so competitive. I was under the assumption that once you pass OCS your either commsioned or you walk and never come back.

GSEMarine94
09-01-09, 08:11 AM
Shoot. I thought if a Reserve unit had an open billet(s) then it was up to the unit to accept the applicant.

I know of a person who went through OCS for the Marines only to be held up because of questions about his parents citizenship. He says hes commisioned but is on hold for the moment, I don't know if hes telling the truth or not, but also says its scary for him because he doesnt know if he will get in because its so competitive. I was under the assumption that once you pass OCS your either commsioned or you walk and never come back.

I'm not sure how the Corps works when it comes to commissioning but in the Army you have up to 2 years after OCS to accept your commission. In fact 3 soldiers from my state are defering their commissions for a year so as to either be able to deploy or to receive an enlistment bonus.

TTX
09-01-09, 07:19 PM
I was recently talking to the Army Recruiters about their OCS. Thy are hurting for officers, and their process is much quicker and easier compare to the MC. They have their own uniqueness and I personally don't see anything wroing with it. Some of them are badass soldiers and go through vigorous trainings that most of us never do.

samthomas
09-01-09, 07:21 PM
What happens if you fail the Army OCS? From reading one site, it seems that you have to enlist for OCS (and potentially go through basic training).

Petz
09-01-09, 07:27 PM
Marines won't go through Army basic training, it just means you are an Army dog.

GSEMarine94
09-02-09, 08:19 AM
What SSgt Petzold said, if you fail OCS you then go back to your unit as an enlisted soldier and finish out your contract.

samthomas
09-02-09, 10:00 AM
What unit/job would you go to if you were prior service and had finished your original eight years? You wouldn't have been trained as a soldier (BCT, A school).

GSEMarine94
09-02-09, 10:32 AM
What unit/job would you go to if you were prior service and had finished your original eight years? You wouldn't have been trained as a soldier (BCT, A school).

Depeneds on what your MOS was in the Corps, and if you are assigned to a unit that incorporates that MOS, most MOS's will transfer.
I was assigned to an engineering unit, but I was air wing in the Corps so if I had failed OCS they would have offered me the option of either transfering to an air unit or I could have gotten out but my RE code would not have been favorable.

firebrick
09-02-09, 12:57 PM
How could you fail out of army OCS??

samthomas
09-02-09, 12:58 PM
Good question, but I am sure it happens. Would you want to be the guy that fails, and ends up with basically an open contract in the Army?

GSEMarine94
09-02-09, 02:01 PM
How could you fail out of army OCS??
there's a 40% failure rate. Army OCS is no joke, at least the accelerated program that I went through. Try not getting more then 4 hours of sleep per night, PT sessions just like boot, plus a ton more knowledge that you must know, with the TAC's smoking you for every little mistake you make. Oh and while your at it from day 1 you're in a leadership position, my first day I was a platoon leader, the second I was the XO.
While not as difficult as Marine Corps boot, if you go in there thinking that this will be a cake walk, you will be one of the ones sent home.

firebrick
09-02-09, 02:33 PM
Im not saying its not hard. But at what point would I be subjected to that style school if I went the one weekend a month ocs route? Is there another school, TBS, that you have to go to after you commission. Of course I will be talking to someone to get answers, but your opinions, comments are appreciated.

thewookie
09-02-09, 02:45 PM
there's a 40% failure rate. Army OCS is no joke, at least the accelerated program that I went through. Try not getting more then 4 hours of sleep per night, PT sessions just like boot, plus a ton more knowledge that you must know, with the TAC's smoking you for every little mistake you make. Oh and while your at it from day 1 you're in a leadership position, my first day I was a platoon leader, the second I was the XO.
While not as difficult as Marine Corps boot, if you go in there thinking that this will be a cake walk, you will be one of the ones sent home.

Not taking anything away from the Army, but I wonder what the washout rate is for Marines? :usmc: I know it's not 40%.

GSEMarine94
09-02-09, 02:55 PM
Im not saying its not hard. But at what point would I be subjected to that style school if I went the one weekend a month ocs route? Is there another school, TBS, that you have to go to after you commission. Of course I will be talking to someone to get answers, but your opinions, comments are appreciated.

For the traditional course (one weekend a month) you start with an AT (the two weeks once a year). This will be what they call 1st phase, my platoon of 48 lost 15 in those two weeks. After those two weeks you begin your once a month drills, 2nd phase, I didn't go the traditional route so I can't really give you a lot of info on what it's like. Then after a year goes by you go back for your summer AT again, 3rd phase, and finish out the program.

The first two weeks is a weeding out process for the TACS (officer DI's) you've seen shows about seal training where they want you to go "ring the bell" well they do that as well, without the bell.
Second phase is about physical conditioning (at least for the accelerated program) and knowledge. We took 15 test in 4 weeks, fail 3 and your gone.
The final two weeks is primarily field ops, we spent 10 days out of the 14 either conducting missions or performing as aggressor force.

Once you complete OCS you have to do BOLC (Basic Officer Learning Course), currently they are doing away with a portion of it so all you will have to do is one BOLC, I may have to do 2. Anyway this is your branch specific school, mine being engineers I will be going to Ft. Leonardwood for 3 1/2 months. Being that you want intel I think your BOLC is longer and is out at Ft Huchukia (SP?) in Arizona. You have to do this school all at once, not as a weekend drill type deal. But you don't have to do it right away I think you have up to 18 months to begin.

GSEMarine94
09-02-09, 03:02 PM
Not taking anything away from the Army, but I wonder what the washout rate is for Marines? :usmc: I know it's not 40%.

In my company we had 15 Marines 1 washed out, within the first two weeks. The rest graduated.

thewookie
09-02-09, 03:02 PM
Who are the OCS Instructors? Officer/Enlisted? Are they regular Army? What caliber - SOF/Ranger/Airborne guys or just regular Army? Thanks :marine:

GSEMarine94
09-02-09, 03:13 PM
They're called TAC's, every platoon will have 3-4 officers with a Capt as the Senior TAC, and then you may have 1 TAC NCO (E-7). The thing is, is that at the end of every phase they assign everyone to a different platoon so that you don't keep the same instructors, but the majority of them are combat arms. One of my first phase TACS, a Capt, was infantry and lost 12 men on a mission in Iraq, he was VERY serious about his training. Another TAC I had during the final phase was a Ranger, he ran PT with a pack. All of the instructors are Guardsmen.

thewookie
09-02-09, 03:21 PM
All of the instructors are Guardsmen.

Hmm, a Marine that I used to work with at Dam Neck went to the "Guard" - 20th SFG, and he got himself on an ODA Team doing the dirty work in Afghanistan, back in '04. So I don't take that statement above very lightly, at all. Thanks. The washout rate seems about right. Good info.:beer:

samthomas
09-02-09, 05:11 PM
there's a 40% failure rate. Army OCS is no joke

With those odds, I would rather just enlist and get an interesting job, than risk failing and end up doing some cr*ppy job in the Army.

TTX
09-02-09, 06:05 PM
I was surprised that the Army Recruiting Office where I went to talk to had 6 recruiters and 3 of them were prior service Marines. One the the three was really ****ed off at the MC, and I guess he...

Petz
09-02-09, 06:14 PM
definitely contact your monitor.

https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal/page?_pageid=278,2461889&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

TTX
09-02-09, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the site SSgt P and I definitely will.

flyby
09-02-09, 11:36 PM
I signed an OCS contract and was told that I could go the Traditional Route (One weekend/month) or Accelerated (AD 8 weeks). However, when I checked into the Training Command for what is called Phase 0 (Pre-Intro from Feb-May), I was told that only PS Army or current Army Guard was allowed to go Accelerated. I know that this may not be the case w/every state but my state decided who went accelerated. I could only go accelerated so I just did my time and got out. For those interested, the traditional program is more than a one weekend a month commitment! For starters, you have to show up on Friday and be ready to go by NLT 1800. Which means that you rotate turns w/others coming in as early as possible on Friday to 'set up' the barracks, classrooms etc. Also, Fridays are not counted as official drill dates so as such you can not get the appropriate drill schedule/orders needed to get out of civilian employment for that Friday. (You also do not get paid for that Friday drill). I didn't care about getting paid, I just didn't have the vacation time to take in order to get there early on Fridays. Ideally, they wanted everyone there by 1500. Also, the class is required to volunteer at least once a quarter at a civil function and they want you to meet w/the class once a month on an 'off weekend' to prepare for the next drill. And you will have to read and send massive amounts of emails between you and the other candidates during the month to keep updated and the like.
Miss a drill and you will get dropped. Get hurt, you get dropped and they may make you start all over (instead of picking up in the Phase you left off in). So, the 15 mo. traditional program is not what you may think it is. Personally, I do not see how they can even justify having an entire training staff to graduate the few numbers that they do. The class before mine was graduating in five more drills and they only had 7 candidates in the class. And they dropped one that weekend! So, its no wonder why the Guard is hurting for Officers. I personally wish I just went straight back to the SMCR after college because since I was in the Guard, the Recruiter said that means more paperwork, etc. (Not to mention the 5 months after I got out that I had to hound the Guard to give me my Report of Separation so I could come back). Anyway, for Firebrick and anyone else who may want to go over to the other side, I suggest that you only go to the Accelerated OCS.

Petz
09-02-09, 11:42 PM
that's funny that they make you come in on friday. if it's not a drill then they can't mark you AWOL and they can't drop you. Interesting.

flyby
09-02-09, 11:47 PM
that's funny that they make you come in on friday. if it's not a drill then they can't mark you AWOL and they can't drop you. Interesting.

It is mandatory to be there and they can and will drop you. I guess it is one of those unwritten rules.

firebrick
09-03-09, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the comments flyby, definatelys something to consider