PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian?

Oki Livin
08-31-09, 08:48 AM
I looked on the internet for any Marines being vegetarian and I've yet to find anything. I was wondering if anyone here was vegetarian or knew/know someone who is and what they did for bootcamp. For example, did they get double rations or were they aloud to take vitamins for the time being? Are there meat-free MRE's? Were they treated differently if anyone knew about it (given a hard time)? Any information at all will help.

I've yet to talk to a recuiter about this and I will do so, I would just like to get other views and perhaps see a side of someone who has seen this first hand. Thanks in advance.

thewookie
08-31-09, 08:53 AM
I looked on the internet for any Marines being vegetarian and I've yet to find anything. I was wondering if anyone here was vegetarian or knew/know someone who is and what they did for bootcamp. For example, did they get double rations or were they aloud to take vitamins for the time being? Are there meat-free MRE's? Were they treated differently if anyone knew about it (given a hard time)? Any information at all will help.

I've yet to talk to a recuiter about this and I will do so, I would just like to get other views and perhaps see a side of someone who has seen this first hand. Thanks in advance.

The only vegetarian's I saw in boot camp were guys on the diet tray. They got plenty of lettuce and washed it down with lots of water.

This isn't some Jenny Craig summer camp -- it's USMC boot camp and eating disorders are not allowed.:evilgrin:

Petz
08-31-09, 08:57 AM
stand by to eat processed food.... it may be meat but it's loaded with extra vitamins and minerals to keep you strong....

the only time they give you 'real' meat is at the warrior breakfast where you can gorge on all the food you want to eat.

BR34
08-31-09, 10:04 AM
There's plenty things you can eat there that don't have meat in them. There's salads, fruit, breads, fish, etc. You'll probably loose a **** ton of weight though. I don't think you're going to be able to actually make your own decision on getting dbl rations, which is what you would be doing if you told them you need it because of your beliefs.

As far as MREs being meat less...yea, I'd say all of em are.

MD8724
08-31-09, 07:53 PM
I think fish is considered a meat, BR :)

There are veggie MRE's, and tons of crap other than meat at the chow hall. I would say you would be wanting that protein though. Your muscles get all ****ed up there, but hey, whatever suits you.

If you don't get the veggie MRE though, just eat the other **** in it. The crackers and peanut butter or whatever. You're going to be hungry as **** though...

sparkie
08-31-09, 07:56 PM
Vegetarian,,,,Indian word for "Bad Hunter".

Oki Livin
09-01-09, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the info. : )

GSEMarine94
09-01-09, 10:58 AM
There were a couple of vegetarians in my OCS class, the only one that made it began eating meat soon after we started.

thewookie
09-01-09, 11:11 AM
There were a couple of vegetarians in my OCS class, the only one that made it began eating meat soon after we started.Well said. My original post was meant to be humorous. Not everyone gets my humor, though. But this post says it all. Boot camp will tax you mentally and physically to the point where not eating meat, IMHO, will cause major problems for you. Unless you are a rabbit and used to eating nothing and still performing way above normal levels for extended periods of time. Good luck.

giveen
09-01-09, 11:54 AM
There is room for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes.

I doubt you will be allowed to take vitamins or supplements there.

samthomas
09-01-09, 12:06 PM
Eat whatever they give you, you aren't going to have the energy to pass on the meat.

Zulu 36
09-01-09, 12:22 PM
Humans were designed by God to require animal protein, along with all the other good stuff. Vegetable protein does not do the same job in building or repairing muscles.

If you sit around all day mumbling sutras to Hare Krishna or something, you don't need the animal protein so much, but the Marine Corps keeps you a little busier.

I never knew a vegetarian in the Corps. Recruits ate everything they got and would eat the trays and silverware if possible.

Petz
09-01-09, 12:48 PM
Eat whatever they give you, you aren't going to have the energy to pass on the meat.

we did... but they gave us extra helpings of potatoes... our DIs got ****ed when they didn't have enough meat for us...especially since it got worse near out final PFT..... we still got second.

Lisa 23
09-01-09, 01:49 PM

Can't help you on knowing anyone who was a vegetarian when I was in the Marines, but this is what I found on vegetarian MREs, and to the best of my knowledge, you won't be allowed to take vitamins while in boot camp.
MRE Menus

http://www.mreinfo.com/images/mre-tan-ravioli-pasta-200.jpg
US Military MRE menus have changed greatly over the past 18 years. Since MRE XIII (1993 Date-of-Pack), 70 new items have been approved as MRE improvements. Fourteen of the least acceptable items were replaced, and the number of menus was increased from 12 to 24. In addition, four vegetarian meals are now included.
http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/mre-menus.html

Petz
09-01-09, 01:59 PM
the vegetarian meals are more for those who want the good snacks....

Quinbo
09-01-09, 02:34 PM
If God didn't intend us to eat animals why the heck did he make them out of meat?

BR34
09-01-09, 02:41 PM
Nice.

GSEMarine94
09-01-09, 03:36 PM
If God didn't intend us to eat animals why the heck did he make them out of meat?

Or make them taste soooo good.

Echo3Lima
09-05-09, 08:50 PM
Say hello to the almighty Vege-Omelet! ENJOY!