PDA

View Full Version : Saluting and Honoring our Flag during Military funerals

gylancaster
08-12-02, 11:01 PM
Semper Fi Marines and Friends. A good friend of mine gave me the following ltr concerning why our flag is folded 13 times and I thought that I would share it with my Bros and Sis and friends here at Leatherneck:
According to military tradition, once a US Flag is lifted from the casket, it is then tilted down in front of the casket to block everyone's view. The Flag is then held up for everyone to see and taps is then played softly in the distance. This is referred to as, "Presenting The Colors." Tradition holds that at this time the fighting spirit of the veteran then enters the Flag to find rest in God's eternal grace. Once the flag has been folded, both the Flag and the veteran are formally "Retired" forever. From that point on, no one but God Himself is allowed to unfold, or "Recall", the Flag until Christ returns. Now you know why vets always salute folded US Flags. Don't be surprised if you cry a little the next time you see Old Glory waving in the breeze

WHY THE AMERICAN FLAG IS FOLDED 13 TIMES. Have you ever noticed on TV or at military funerals that the honor guard pays meticulous attention to correctly folding the American Flag exactly 13 times? I've known how the 21 gun salute was determined (adding the individual digits of 1776), but only recently learned why the flag was folded 13 times when it is lowered or when it is folded and handed to the widow at the burial of a veteran. Here it is: The First fold of our flag is a symbol of life. The Second fold is a symbol of our belief in eternal life in Jesus Christ. The Third fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veterans departing our rankswho gave a portion of their lives for the defense of our country to attain peace throughout the world. The Fourth fold represents our weaker nature, for a American citizen trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in time of war for His divine guidance. The Fifth fold is a tribute to our country, for in the wordsof Stephen Decatur, "Our Country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong." The Sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States Of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all. The Seventh fold is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that we protect our country and our flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our republic. The Eighth fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor mother, for whom it flies on Mother's Day. The ninth fold is a tribute to
womanhood; for ith has been through their faith in God, their love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great has been molded. The Tenth fold is a tribute to the father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since they were first born. The eleventh fold, in the eyes of Hebrew citizen represents the Isaac, and Jacob. The twelfth fold, in the eyes of Christian citizen, represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit. When the flag is COMPLETELY FOLDED, the stare are uppermost reminding us of our nation's motto "In God We Trust". After the flag is completely folded and tucken in, it takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of soldiers who served under General George Washington, and the sailors and Marines who served under Captain John Paul Jones, who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the Armed Forces of the United States, preserving for us the rights, privileges, and freedoms we enjoy today.

There are some traditions and ways of doing things which have deep meaning. You may see many flags folded in the future, and now you will know why.

:yes: :yes:

thedrifter
08-13-02, 07:30 AM
http://www.trea.org/funeral/honoring.html

http://www.anglico.org/Military%20Funeral.jpg

LadyLeatherneck
08-13-02, 12:00 PM
Great post GyLancaster. Isn't it amazing how sometimes
we come to find things out AFTER the fact. I think I've learned
more stuff about the Marine Corps and it's traditions now that
I've been out than when I was in the Corps. I did Guard Duty
for a whole month when I was in and use to always volunteer
for the Color Guard when I was on duty. I loved hearing taps
and taking the flag down and folding it. Wish I would of known
back then what it meant. I work for a public school now and
sometimes I see the custodian after school taking the flag down.
He brings it down and just squashes it all under one arm. I
have a fit every time and go out there and tell him that's not
the way to treat the American Flag and usually end up giving
him a lesson on how to fold the flag.

I think having the American flag over your casket is one of the
highest honors you can have as a Marine. To me it's very
important and I've pretty much left instructions with the hubby
and my mother and father that if anything is to happen to me
I don't really care what they do with me as long as my children
get the flag and taps is played.

Semper Fi