PDA

View Full Version : Need recruiting advise

bmarutnj
08-30-09, 09:50 AM
Hello Marines. Back in April of this year my son 22 decided to join the Marines something he has wanted to do since he graduated high school. He went to the local recruiting station and started the...

sparkie
08-30-09, 09:56 AM
All I can say is things are tight at the moment, and they can do whatever they want. The varable is the current demand. It's tough luck, but if he wants it bad enough, he doesn't give up.

MicMarine
08-30-09, 12:00 PM
Your son is a adult, a man. He needs to fight is own battles. He, not you, needs to stay on top of things. A current Recruiter I am sure will come along to answer this.

slimmy07
09-01-09, 11:29 AM
Waivers are tougher to come by as the fiscal year comes to a close. The new recruiter your son was working with probably had to run the waiver again. The C.O. of the recruiting station doesnt approve those waivers. that waiver was probably sent out to district. Another thing they take into consideration is the fact that your son did not inform the recruiter about his wrist injury, The officer at district is probably thinking....what else is this young man not telling us. My suggestion is to wait till the fiscal year is over and go see a recruiter and have that waiver run again. Things might have changed since I finished recruiting duty (2007) but times are tough and its tougher to get into the Corps right now than ever before.

bmarutnj
09-01-09, 11:46 AM
Thanks all for your advise, he is going to step up and fight for this. He is calling his recruiter today to try and setup a face to face with the Commanding Officer and sell himself.

As far as him not letting his first recruiter know about the wrist, he did. the recruiter suggested he not metion it as it was not a big deal. When he got to MEPS though he felt guilty not saying anything and informed the Doc.

marine95
09-02-09, 05:35 AM
Here is a little more info for you. I'm from NJ and NJ has been making their contracting and shipping mission for some time now. They are just about to have a change of command as did the 1st Marine Corps District CO. Just tell your son to keep the recruiter in the loop because you never know who is going to flake out at the last minute. Especially toward the end of the month. MISSION DAY!!!!

bmarutnj
09-02-09, 07:20 AM
Well last night my son went to PT and spoke with his recruiter. He asked Staff Sergeant if he could setup a meeting with him and the command that is denying his waiver and sell himself. He was told he could not speak to him and handed all his paperwork back. Staff Sergent then suggested he contact the Deleware Recruiting Command and apply there. He also suggested that he try the Army and after a year he can transfer to the Marines.

usmcdanno
09-02-09, 06:20 PM
All sounds like a kind of fishy to me. If he was granted a waiver for drugs, then the waiver should hold for at least 6 months. A broken wrist is pretty much nothing and wouldn't require a waiver...

Zulu 36
09-02-09, 10:33 PM
And expungments are usually not granted until at least five years after ALL aspects of the sentence are completed satisfactorily (jail time, probation, fines/costs paid, etc). So if he completed everything at age 20, he would have to wait until he was 25 to motion for an expungement - which is not automatic. A judge could still deny it.

Different states have different laws regarding expungements, but five years seems to be the norm for misdemeanors or low-grade felonies.

Petz
09-02-09, 10:44 PM
it sounds as though the commander won't give drug waivers. they have that right.

If he said to goto deleware it's 'cause it's a different command and different mentality.

There are COs who feel they can make a difference by being strict on their policies, and in many cases they do a good job at it.

If he's really willing to travel he can always move to another district and enlist from there (wouldn't be the first time)

usmcdanno
09-02-09, 11:26 PM
Read the above post SSgt Petzold. When you don't know what you're talking about, it's best to keep one's mouth shut. Stop trying to misinform these people about things that you have no clue about. Read, digest and do your homework long prior to giving advise. Semper Fi, Gunny Dan

Petz
09-02-09, 11:38 PM
gunny, you're right I don't know. I should have stated that. But his recruiter is telling him something and he should be asking him why. There is nothing but speculation in this thread because unless you are in the command and know the intricacies of their day-to-day there then you can't say one way or the other who is right or wrong.

So, I suppose I should be more concise in the future when I'm blabbering on about how things have so many possibilities that it's impossible for us to know.

Semper Fi.

usmcdanno
09-03-09, 12:10 AM
Not really, I encourage all who have read this thread, and all that consider joining the Corps, parents and young people, to read the following at the link provided below. Read carefully, it certainly is straight scoop. Ensure you read it completely. Sometimes recruiters don't know some of the more complicated issues involved in the entire recruitment process. They are taught rudimentary recruitment techniques in a six week school. Not that they don't work hard, committed to the Corps, but they are trained to make contact, discover likely disqualifying issues, find them a job and ship them off to boot camp. They don't always know the nuances of the whole process.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/a/criminal.-um-.htm

Petz
09-03-09, 12:37 AM
like saying ADVICE opposed to ADVISE. :D

good gouge gunny, thank you.

bmarutnj
09-03-09, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys and sorry for using advise instead of advice, I'm an accountant not a writer. I had a friend pull his court order and charge disposition, he was given a conditional discharge for the...

Petz
09-03-09, 08:57 AM
oh, I was just playing around, many of the Marines mix them up and I made a thread about it and we had all sorts of laughs, so not harm no foul.

Zulu 36
09-03-09, 10:06 AM
Yes, this is still an arrest. The record may show charges dismissed, or nolle prosequi (nol pros - same thing as dismissed just a more technical legal term), or it may show it was a conditional...

usmcdanno
09-03-09, 10:20 PM
Yes, the Marine Corps would have found out about it regardless. Please take the time to read all of the information in the link I posted above. Have a nice day!

slimmy07
09-09-09, 12:17 PM
Not really, I encourage all who have read this thread, and all that consider joining the Corps, parents and young people, to read the following at the link provided below. Read carefully, it certainly is straight scoop. Ensure you read it completely. Sometimes recruiters don't know some of the more complicated issues involved in the entire recruitment process. They are taught rudimentary recruitment techniques in a six week school. Not that they don't work hard, committed to the Corps, but they are trained to make contact, discover likely disqualifying issues, find them a job and ship them off to boot camp. They don't always know the nuances of the whole process.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/a/criminal.-um-.htm

GySgt,
Have you ever been on recruiting duty? Other than being in a fire fight, its the TOUGHEST job in the Corps. Your right in that the 6 week school only teaches the "basics" as does EVERY school in the Corps. Only when you get to the fleet and get your feet wet, do you really learn the "nuances" of the job. In my 3 years on recruiting duty I have been RSS A/NCOIC and had to put waivers together to send up along with the NCOIC. I believe recruiters either know, or the NCOIC knows and can advise the recruiter from there. Also, usmilitary com is not a great source of info for the Corps, if you look at your link, the author is Rod Powers. Rod Powers is a retired Air Force Col. I don't know much about the Air Force, so how much he knows about the Corps is limited I'm sure. I think the advice of SSgt Petzold was good. SOmetimes an RS has filled its quota and will not write anymore waivers. Just like some RS will take a GED, but others wont. It all comes down to mission. Recruiting info changes so frequently, that the up to date best advice is from the recruiter or the station NCOIC, not usmilitary com or even this site. My advice to the young applicant is try and do what the recruiter has said, or talk to the NCOIC even though I'm sure it will be the same as what the recruiter has said to the applicant. Semper Fi.

With respect and best regards,
Sgt. S

usmcdanno
09-09-09, 07:56 PM
Sgt,

Nope never was a recruiter, but I am a Gunnery Sergeant, therefore I know everything. Just joshing of course, lol. I know the guy that wrote the article doesn't necessarily know squat about the Marine Corps, but the legal issues (of which is what is addressed here) are cut and dried. Do RS's have felony waiver quotas? All I know is that no RS or district has the authority to approve a felony waiver. That requires a General Officer's signature. All the RS or district can do is recommend/not recommend and forward the package up to the Regional Commander. They don't have the authority to approve a felony waiver whether they have a quota for one or not. Bottom line is.....if he was arrested for 30.12 grams of marijuana, he ain't getting in the Marine Corps, I don't care if he goes to RS Jesus. CG's won't grant a waiver for a felony drug arrest unless this kid was found "not guilty" in a court of law.

By the way, recruiter no, drill field yes, firefight yes.

Semper Fi, carry on, I'll be in the area for a while.

usmcdanno
09-09-09, 08:10 PM
Again, by the way, Rod Powers is a retired First Sergeant in the Air Force. Not a Colonel. He is a well respected author of several books regarding the military, in particular the recruitment process, how to prepare for the ASVAB/AFQT and a couple others.

slimmy07
09-10-09, 11:18 AM
GySgt,
I see that he is a retired 1Sgt, but when an applicant asked me about the Air Force, I would always tell them that I have no clue on the Air Force because I never served in the Air Force. On the other hand I would have applicants walk in and say that the Army or the Air Force said this or that about the Marines and I would say to the applicant, how would they knew if they never served in the Marines? I have never recruited for the Air Force, but I have for the Marine Corps and that is the toughest job I have ever had stateside. I even recruited with former DI's who would rather do another 3 years of DI duty than another year of recruiting. All branches have different criteria in order to enlist. Yes, we all have to follow a basic guideline and MEPS medical requirements. What I'm trying to say GySgt is that every RS is different in needs. No, there is no felony quota, but some RS's miss there yearly mission. For example RS Phoenix has made mission for over 300 months straight. Im sure this young mans felony waiver would not be approved by the CG. RS San Francisco, which is in the same Western Recruiting Command might have a chance to get that waiver approved by the same CG because of mission. That could be the reason why this recruiter told the applicant to go to Delaware to enlist. Not trying to disrespect you by debating this GySgt. I appreciate the service you have given this country. Semper Fi.

Sgt. S

Petz
09-10-09, 12:19 PM
see, that makes sense. the CG would expect the higher performing area to have a higher standard while he might consider the waiver for the lower performers.

in a weird military way, that is logical.

usmcdanno
09-10-09, 07:03 PM
Sgt S,

No harm no foul Devildog. Nothing you've said have I taken as disrespect, so we're good there. Although information you provide as a recruiter is quite valuable to folks on this site, I think we've gotten a little off base with this discussion. For the most part, I do understand how Marine recruiting works, and that policy changes on a near daily basis. That's the nature of the beast. My main point has been stated that I don't think this kid has a snowball's chance in hell of getting in the Corps for reasons apparent. Ron Powers (the zoomie) mentioned earlier in our posts, writes pretty good books about joining the service. Again I would recommend his books to anyone thinking of joining any branch. Of course he doesn't know anything of great detail about the process of joining the Corps (that is for the best recruiters in the world, Marines), but the basic information he provides in valuable.

I know recruiting can be a tough job. All this aside, I spoke to a recruiter in Asheville, NC not long ago. I was trying to provide him a perfect lead. He told me that they have it quite easy at this point in time. I assume it's because of the economy that everyone wants a steady job now, even if it means putting your life on the line! He told me that they spend about 3 hours out of the day working out and they are turning people away left and right, well qualified people. I guess we'll have a Corps full of Einsteins and perfect little mama's babies. He told me they really don't have a quota right now and that it's no big deal if they roll doughnuts for the month. Of course I'm sure it isn't that way at all RS's, districts or regions, but those guys in Asheville have it made for the present time.

I don't really have anything else to lend to this topic, so I'll just shut the f*** up about it. I do love a good debate though, lol

Semper Fi,
Gunny Dan

ProudDad
09-10-09, 07:55 PM
Given that the Marine Corps hasn't had an issue filling recruit slots (they are ahead of schedule by quite a bit) I imagine they are being much more selective in the issuance of waivers. There was a good article in this weeks Chevron about changes to the DI schedules that are a direct result of fewer recruits being required for FY2010 numbers.

Petz
09-10-09, 09:06 PM
a change how? as in more per Plt, and more down time? I'd assume fewer DI's will have divorces in FY'10

slimmy07
09-10-09, 09:18 PM
Sgt S,

No harm no foul Devildog. Nothing you've said have I taken as disrespect, so we're good there. Although information you provide as a recruiter is quite valuable to folks on this site, I think we've gotten a little off base with this discussion. For the most part, I do understand how Marine recruiting works, and that policy changes on a near daily basis. That's the nature of the beast. My main point has been stated that I don't think this kid has a snowball's chance in hell of getting in the Corps for reasons apparent. Ron Powers (the zoomie) mentioned earlier in our posts, writes pretty good books about joining the service. Again I would recommend his books to anyone thinking of joining any branch. Of course he doesn't know anything of great detail about the process of joining the Corps (that is for the best recruiters in the world, Marines), but the basic information he provides in valuable.

I know recruiting can be a tough job. All this aside, I spoke to a recruiter in Asheville, NC not long ago. I was trying to provide him a perfect lead. He told me that they have it quite easy at this point in time. I assume it's because of the economy that everyone wants a steady job now, even if it means putting your life on the line! He told me that they spend about 3 hours out of the day working out and they are turning people away left and right, well qualified people. I guess we'll have a Corps full of Einsteins and perfect little mama's babies. He told me they really don't have a quota right now and that it's no big deal if they roll doughnuts for the month. Of course I'm sure it isn't that way at all RS's, districts or regions, but those guys in Asheville have it made for the present time.

I don't really have anything else to lend to this topic, so I'll just shut the f*** up about it. I do love a good debate though, lol

Semper Fi,
Gunny Dan

GYSgt,
That is good to go!(you trying to give a lead). I would never mind a lead from a fellow Marine. I used to have a retired SSgt from the vietnam era try and give me leads. I would give hjm t-shirts, coffee cups for his work, LOL. The SSgt would even just stop by to hang out from time to time. I'm sure the economy is helping the recruiting world right now. Semper Fi Gunnery Sergeant!

Sgt. S

usmcdanno
09-11-09, 08:26 PM
Ah man.....I never got jack s*** for steering kids to the recruiter, lol. I had an Army recruiter give me a bunch of their crap one time, (hats, pens, cups, etc). It was actually pretty nice stuff, nicer than what the Marine Corps gives away! But who gives a rats ass about trinkets. I gave all that s*** away to old dudes who used to serve in the Army, lol. What was he thinking? That I was gonna help him recruit for the Army? NYET! I live in a fairly economically suppressed area. I bet I could go find 5 fresh ups in one day here! If only the Corps were taking anyone now. I've heard the Corps strength is supposed to be boosted to 225,000. Don't know if that's a good idea, I kinda like the Corps small, elite. If that happens though, recruiters will have the pressure right back on.

S/F
Gunny D sends.

Petz
09-11-09, 10:52 PM
where'd you hear that gunny?!

usmcdanno
09-11-09, 11:03 PM
What about the Marine Corps end strength?

usmcdanno
09-11-09, 11:35 PM
OK, let me re-verse this........To my knowledge, the current end strength of the Corps is 202,000, which was to be met by end of FY2009, that would be in a couple weeks. Guess it's been reached. To my knowledge, Secretary Gates and Marine Corps leadership have agreed to an end strength of 225,000. Nothing is written in law until after the beginning of the FY, Begins 1 Oct of each year. Most likely to be accomplished in two FY's. My bad for to have "seemingly" portrayed the gospel. I have self-imposed extra duty for myself over the weekend for providing "misinformation"!

Petz
09-12-09, 03:54 AM
did you read it somewhere gunny? I'm really interested in knowing if this is going to happen.

4 months ago they told congress that 202k is it, and they are sacrificing money for bullets and projects to get the army up 30k in temp troop strength.

slimmy07
09-12-09, 12:12 PM
What about the Marine Corps end strength?

Yes Gunny, When I completed recruiting duty in late 2007 (Dec.) They were talking about that. I was happy at that I was done recruiting, because meeting our goals was tough then. I could only imagine now. The way I understood it, they were going to bump up mission slowly for the next couple of years till they reach 202,000. That way its not a huge mission jump for the recruiters on the street. I also heard that they want to put more recruiters on the street. At the time, the end strength was 175,000.