PDA

View Full Version : BAH questions

AaronJM1984
08-29-09, 06:45 PM
First off I am a PFC, and am getting married soon. I have a few questions. I have asked some fellow (married) Marines in my Platoon, however, I get a different answer from each of them. My fiancee currently lives in Atlanta, GA. She will move here most likely in the next two to three months. I want to know whether or not I will receive BAH while I am still living in the barracks. I've been told that I will receive the normal BAH, but I've also been told that I will be considered a geo bachelor and that I will only receive a minimal amount of extra money until she actually moves here. I am concerned because I cannot help support her and her 2 year old son on my income now, once they move here the BAH for this area will be sufficient. It does not make sense to me that I would only receive a few extra hundred dollars a month until she moves here. If anyone has some accurate information on this matter, it would be greatly appreciated. Semper Fi.

Zulu 36
08-29-09, 06:56 PM
First off I am a PFC, and am getting married soon. I have a few questions. I have asked some fellow (married) Marines in my Platoon, however, I get a different answer from each of them. My fiancee currently lives in Atlanta, GA. She will move here most likely in the next two to three months. I want to know whether or not I will receive BAH while I am still living in the barracks. I've been told that I will receive the normal BAH, but I've also been told that I will be considered a geo bachelor and that I will only receive a minimal amount of extra money until she actually moves here. I am concerned because I cannot help support her and her 2 year old son on my income now, once they move here the BAH for this area will be sufficient. It does not make sense to me that I would only receive a few extra hundred dollars a month until she moves here. If anyone has some accurate information on this matter, it would be greatly appreciated. Semper Fi.

My question in return is: WHY do you want to get married as a PFC?

AaronJM1984
08-29-09, 07:00 PM
Sargent, I am only a PFC, but I am also 25 years old. I enlisted very late.

Zulu 36
08-29-09, 07:11 PM
Sargent, I am only a PFC, but I am also 25 years old. I enlisted very late.

I didn't question your age, only your income. A 25-year old PFC doesn't make any more money than an 18-year old PFC.

Also, "sargent" is spelled Sergeant

AaronJM1984
08-29-09, 07:19 PM
Sergeant, I appreciate your input.

Does anyone have an answer to my question?

BR34
08-29-09, 07:21 PM
You'll get BAH w/Dependents.

Learn to plan ahead. This is something you should have researched BEFORE joining the Marine Corps.

DIBLO7
08-29-09, 07:50 PM
You'll get BAH w/ Dependants at the rate of the zip code that your spouse is in. Once she moves to where you are at you will receive BAH w/ Dependants at the rate of your current duty station, unless you get into base housing, then you will get squat. Go to http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/bah.html and you'll be able to see what you get at both locations.

Jdncowboy
09-01-09, 09:24 AM
You will not recieve BAH for the zip code that your spouse lives in now. You will recieve the BAH rate for what is rated at your current duty station. I wish it was true that you rate BAH for where you spouse lives cause I would be making a lot more. My wife lives in the San Francisco bay area, but I still only Get The BAH for my parent duty station cause my parent command is in 29 palms. but I currently TAD to BLT2/4 in Camp P.

DIBLO7
09-01-09, 09:59 AM
Unless she is on your orders sending you to where you are at now you will get the BAH for the zip code she is at now.

When I got married in 29 Palms back in 2003 I rated BAH for a Washington State zip code until I PCS'd. This is because the Marine Corps has not paid to put us together. Once I PCS'd and my wife was on my orders I could only get the BAH for the PDS zip code because the Marine Corps has afforded the opportunity for us to live together.

So, as long as you get married after you get to your PDS you will rate your BAH for your spouses zip code until you are together since she is not on your orders.

I'll look it up and give you the paragraph in the BAH manual later, but I have to get to class.

DIBLO7
09-01-09, 10:29 AM
I stand corrected. As per the JFTR Paragraph U10404 A.1.a, you will get BAH based on your PDS. However, you will rate FSA at until the Marine Corps puts you together. That's in the DODFMR Vol7A Ch 27 Rule 12 on pg 27-26. I dont have time to find the paragraph version as I am late for class now...sorry.

Jdncowboy
09-01-09, 11:28 AM
Yeah I do get FSA now. I wish it was the other way around though, cause I would be making bank if I was getting BAH for where my wife is living right now. I am still getting screwed cause I am TAD out here in Camp P, but they will only pay me the BAH rate for 29 Palms, which is like half of the rate for Camp P.

StoneTheWeak
09-01-09, 11:32 AM
My question in return is: WHY do you want to get married as a PFC?

I don't think that's the topic of the thread. Is it really feasible? No, not really, life as a non-NCO sucks and we all know it, but hey, it's his choice, so instead of shooting him out of the air with a SAM, why don't you at least try and help?

temarti
09-01-09, 11:55 AM
The question was feasible, he is not yet married, therefore legit and a good point in regards to income. It also seems the question on BAH have been answered with good info.

BR34
09-01-09, 01:00 PM
why don't you at least try and help?

I think that's exactly what he's trying to do. Maybe it's something you don't quite understand yet, as a PFC yourself.

StoneTheWeak
09-01-09, 01:14 PM
The question was feasible, he is not yet married, therefore legit and a good point in regards to income. It also seems the question on BAH have been answered with good info.

I meant, was him getting married feasible. It's not, but regardless of what anyone on here says about it, he's going to do it anyways, so we might as well answer his question instead of questioning it. Telling him not to get married or asking him why he is, is a waste of time.

I'm engaged as well, so I might be biased. But I don't know when I'm getting married, especially anytime soon. I haven't made any such plans and don't count on it. Kinda begs to ask why I bothered to ask that question to begin with, doesn't it?

temarti
09-01-09, 01:30 PM
Stone, I feel you are just jumping to jump. Zulu was doing what any NCO would do, then or now. Ask that question before applying an answer. It goes back to the welfare of Marines.

As BR stated, this is about planning ahead, as stated before whether the Marine is 25 or 18, the income is the same, age and maturity do have a role, however there are some that are 25 with less intellect then an 18 year old.

Zulu 36
09-01-09, 03:14 PM
Look, I'm 56 years old. I spent six-years in the Corps right after high school and didn't get married until I was 27 and was a full-time police officer and a part-time Air Guardsman. She was an active duty Coast Guard E-4 (soon to be E-5). We were doing just fine for cash, until #1 daughter came along. All of that still didn't keep my marriage going and we pulled the plug at 28-years and three kids (two still minors).

I saw marriages of young Marines fall apart rapidly. Faster than some high school romances. Lack of finances and lack of being home were the two major reasons. When they were home, often both spouses had to work part-time jobs, especially if they did not have base housing and had kids. That was almost as bad as being gone on a float. Base housing for non-rates was a ghetto. I saw nicer housing projects in Detroit.

Both sides almost always cheated on one another while the Marine was away. I knew the signal flag system in base housing that told people where hubby was and for how long. I wasn't a blue falcon, so I never took advantage, but I certainly could have.

They get divorced, and now the PFC or LCpl has child support payments taken out of their check, often a large percentage. Don't forget the martial debts that he has to pay off too. Probably has at least one letter of indebtedness in his SRB preventing promotion to Corporal.

Now, what do I, the NCO, have? A p*ssed-off, disgruntled Marine who might have barely enough money left over to get him through a month of keeping his sh*t squared away. Doesn't see his kids because the wife moved back with mom and dad in A$$hole, Arkansas and he doesn't have the money to go see them. The ex ain't spending her money to take them (and the kids are usually too young to travel on their own). Can't even afford Greyhound fare to go visit his own folks.

Whose fault is it? The Marine Corps, of course. So I spent my days putting my boot up the a$$ of these people of no big brain because they let the little brain do all of their thinking. Or slipping them $10 to help them through the month for haircuts and dry cleaning, etc (which NCOs are not supposed to do, but you do it anyway because you're their NCO).

I still had to do this during Desert Storm with the whiny little active duty Air Force brats who I was stuck having to honcho too. God, they were worse than any disgruntled Marine I ever had. Anyway...

I think the military, across the board, should prohibit anyone under the pay grade of E-5 from getting or being married (of course, anyone currently married would have to be grandfathered, but no re-ups allowed if under E-5). Divorced enlistees making child support payments should be prohibited too. Only completely single or divorced people with no child support or other remaining martial debt should be allowed to enlist.

Harsh? Maybe. But it would do two things. Weed out the emotional non-hackers early, and provide an incentive to work hard, become a good Marine, and get promoted.

Every time I read a Poolee or junior Marine writing, "But, I LOVE her/him." I want to puke. Do some of these marriages make it? Sure, there are a few examples on this board, but the odds are so low it's scary.

vfm
09-01-09, 07:19 PM
Long story short ; If the Marine corps wants you to have a wife they would issue you one.
SEMPER FI !!!
vfm

AaronJM1984
09-11-09, 08:37 PM
Look, I'm 56 years old. I spent six-years in the Corps right after high school and didn't get married until I was 27 and was a full-time police officer and a part-time Air Guardsman. She was an active duty Coast Guard E-4 (soon to be E-5). We were doing just fine for cash, until #1 daughter came along. All of that still didn't keep my marriage going and we pulled the plug at 28-years and three kids (two still minors).

I saw marriages of young Marines fall apart rapidly. Faster than some high school romances. Lack of finances and lack of being home were the two major reasons. When they were home, often both spouses had to work part-time jobs, especially if they did not have base housing and had kids. That was almost as bad as being gone on a float. Base housing for non-rates was a ghetto. I saw nicer housing projects in Detroit.

Both sides almost always cheated on one another while the Marine was away. I knew the signal flag system in base housing that told people where hubby was and for how long. I wasn't a blue falcon, so I never took advantage, but I certainly could have.

They get divorced, and now the PFC or LCpl has child support payments taken out of their check, often a large percentage. Don't forget the martial debts that he has to pay off too. Probably has at least one letter of indebtedness in his SRB preventing promotion to Corporal.

Now, what do I, the NCO, have? A p*ssed-off, disgruntled Marine who might have barely enough money left over to get him through a month of keeping his sh*t squared away. Doesn't see his kids because the wife moved back with mom and dad in A$$hole, Arkansas and he doesn't have the money to go see them. The ex ain't spending her money to take them (and the kids are usually too young to travel on their own). Can't even afford Greyhound fare to go visit his own folks.

Whose fault is it? The Marine Corps, of course. So I spent my days putting my boot up the a$$ of these people of no big brain because they let the little brain do all of their thinking. Or slipping them $10 to help them through the month for haircuts and dry cleaning, etc (which NCOs are not supposed to do, but you do it anyway because you're their NCO).

I still had to do this during Desert Storm with the whiny little active duty Air Force brats who I was stuck having to honcho too. God, they were worse than any disgruntled Marine I ever had. Anyway...

I think the military, across the board, should prohibit anyone under the pay grade of E-5 from getting or being married (of course, anyone currently married would have to be grandfathered, but no re-ups allowed if under E-5). Divorced enlistees making child support payments should be prohibited too. Only completely single or divorced people with no child support or other remaining martial debt should be allowed to enlist.

Harsh? Maybe. But it would do two things. Weed out the emotional non-hackers early, and provide an incentive to work hard, become a good Marine, and get promoted.

Every time I read a Poolee or junior Marine writing, "But, I LOVE her/him." I want to puke. Do some of these marriages make it? Sure, there are a few examples on this board, but the odds are so low it's scary.

Sergeant, I am just curious if all of this is what you witnessed, or you were told second hand? Also do you have any factual information to back this up (statistics)? I've always heard about military marriages being impossible, but I've always heard the same thing about law enforcement, fire fighters, CEOs of major companies, lawyers, doctors, traveling salesman, etc...The list goes on and on.

Wyoming
09-11-09, 08:57 PM
Two questions =

Why are you still E-1?

Why are you so hostile?

So here's the deal, do as you please and come back in a year or better and update us all.

usmcgirlfriend2
09-11-09, 09:31 PM
Hello. I'm hoping that someone can help me or point me in the right direction. My husband is currently serving in Afghanistan with the 2d MEB. He recently completed his reenlistment papers (August 2009). His commanding officer signed off on the papers knowing the new date to pcs to new duty station. He is schedule to pcs by Feb 2010 to MCRS Columbia. They have given him a paper stating that he needs to sign it to voluntarily extend this enlistment, but when he spoke to SJA they told him that he did not have to sign the paper and there was nothing his command could do to make him. With that said, would there be a chance that they could break the new contract for the new duty station and involuntarily extend him? Is that allowed? Any info is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

YutYut
09-11-09, 09:51 PM
Hello. I'm hoping that someone can help me or point me in the right direction. My husband is currently serving in Afghanistan with the 2d MEB. He recently completed his reenlistment papers (August 2009). His commanding officer signed off on the papers knowing the new date to pcs to new duty station. He is schedule to pcs by Feb 2010 to MCRS Columbia. They have given him a paper stating that he needs to sign it to voluntarily extend this enlistment, but when he spoke to SJA they told him that he did not have to sign the paper and there was nothing his command could do to make him. With that said, would there be a chance that they could break the new contract for the new duty station and involuntarily extend him? Is that allowed? Any info is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

We all appreciate your question, but please create a new thread rather than asking your question on top of someone elses.

EDIT: And please fill out your profile.

Wyoming
09-11-09, 11:47 PM
We all appreciate your question, but please create a new thread rather than asking your question on top of someone elses.

EDIT: And please fill out your profile.

The title of the thread is BAH questions

Looks like a logical place to post her BAH questions to me.

As far as her profile,,,, I don't give a **** anymore, as that is the job of the Mods.

Zulu 36
09-12-09, 12:41 PM
Sergeant, I am just curious if all of this is what you witnessed, or you were told second hand? Also do you have any factual information to back this up (statistics)? I've always heard about military marriages being impossible, but I've always heard the same thing about law enforcement, fire fighters, CEOs of major companies, lawyers, doctors, traveling salesman, etc...The list goes on and on.

Yes, I have seen this first hand. No, I don't have statistics at the ready and I'm not going to research it. You can do that for yourself.

No, military marriages are not impossible, but the younger you and your wife are, with little money, and you on deployment or in the field much of the time, the odds of a successful marriage decreases dramatically.

And yes, law enforcement marriages are also tough to maintain. Mine was damaged during my police career and never recovered. No, I didn't cheat on her.

Like BigAl said, do what you want anyway and come back here after a year or so and tell us how blissful things are with your marriage and Marine Corps career.

AaronJM1984
09-12-09, 05:40 PM
About the whole Private avatar, I haven't logged on in a while and still haven't updated it. I will have to do that, thanks for asking though, I didn't even notice that I haven't fixed that. I do appreciate everyone's comments and legitimate points. I will keep everything said here in mind.

Rooger
09-12-09, 06:14 PM
Back in my day(mid 80's) we had to be an NCO or have the commanders permission to marry!