PDA

View Full Version : USO Brings Celebrities to Kandahar

thedrifter
08-29-09, 07:11 AM
USO Brings Celebrities to Kandahar

8/28/2009 By Lance Cpl. Gregory Aalto , Marine Aircraft Group 40

The United Service Organizations wrapped up their seven-day summer tour of autograph signings and meet-and-greets for deployed service members, July 17.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Michael Mullen hosted the visit by actors Bradley Cooper and D.B. Sweeney, model and sports television correspondent Leeann Tweeden, former National Football League coach Don Shula and NFL free-agent running back Warrick Dunn.

For two hours, the special guests talked to service members and signed autographs after an introduction by Mullen.

"We are very lucky to be able to be here. We are truly blessed," said Cooper, known for his typecast role as a jerk in "Wedding Crashers," "Failure to Launch," and "The Hangover."

"It was very cool to meet these people and see that they care," said Lance Cpl. Dominick Vallejo, a communications technician for Marine Wing Communications Squadron 28 Detachment C, Marine Aircraft Group 40, Marine Expeditionary Brigade-Afghanistan.

Shula, a two-time Super Bowl (VII, VIII) winner, including the NFL's only perfect season, made his first USO tour at 79.

"[Don] has kept busy with his steakhouses ever since getting out of football," said Mary Anne Shula, Don's wife, who accompanied Don on the tour.

"When the USO called to see if he was interested I told [Don] we'd been asked. Without hesitation, all he said was – sign us up," added Anne.

The group's veteran, Tweeden, completed her 13th USO celebrity volunteer tour.

The event gave service members the ability to get an up close and personal view of the volunteers.

Cooper told guests about his future role in "The A-Team [2010]," which begins filming in September. Dunn, released recently by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, spoke about his future plans.

"I don't know who I am going to be playing for [next year]. But one thing I do know is, I can still play," said the three-time Pro Bowl selectee.

A handful of Marines attended the two-hour event, held at the airfield's U.S. Morale, Welfare and Recreation center.

"I'm happy I was able to get out of work for a little while to [attend the event]. It was definitely a morale boost out of the ordinary," said Cpl. Kris Carter, an ordnance technician from Marine Aerial Refueler Squadron 352, MAG-40, MEB-A.

"Each and every USO tour is unique and means the world to so many of our nation's troops," said Mullen. "The fact we are able to send them out regularly speaks volumes about our nation's ongoing support for those in uniform. I'm privileged to be associated with something that brings so much happiness to those who sacrifice so much."

The USO is planning for various comedians and country groups to visit here, as well as a visit by the St. Louis Rams cheerleaders early next year, according to airfield MWR personnel.

These tours have helped provide a morale boost too more than 236,000 troops in 27 countries and 23 states, according to a USO press release about their tours in 2008.

Ellie