PDA

View Full Version : Marine Reserves vs. Marine Active Duty

JasonJ1234
08-29-09, 01:19 AM
Hello again Marines. This may seem like an odd question and for that i apologize but it is something that is on my mind that you all will probaly know. Theres nothing i want to do more right now than be a United States Marine, and i was all for active duty Infantry, but i have been talking to my recruiter and the reserves seems like a better fit for me to let me finish up school and still hold the proud title of Marine.

My question is i want the honor and respect that only a Marine deserves and theres something telling me that if i am in the reserves living back in the states and not stationed anywhere that i won't be as respected as a Marine to that of my active duty counterparts. I'd like to hear your feedback on what you guys think about the reserves and Marines in the reserves. Again thank you for your time.

~Jason

TTX
08-29-09, 05:27 AM
Active Marines or Reserve Marines don't make any diferent once you earned the title "Marine", as long as you act and carry yourself professionally like a Marine and the people will give the same respect whether you are Active or Reserve.

Lisa 23
08-29-09, 10:34 AM
My nephew, who just graduated from boot camp yesterday, is going Reserves. He got one "Welcome Home" arrival at the airport from a group called "The Friends of the Forgotten" and he was extremely PROUD that these men and women who belong to this organization and most didn't even know him, took time from their Friday evening to greet him at the airport.

Just because you may decide to go Reserves doesn't mean you won't get activated to active duty to be deployed. And I agree with TTX's post! :thumbup:

MicMarine
08-29-09, 12:51 PM
Active or Reserves?

~Jason

As a former Reservist (3 years), now Active Duty. I highly suggest AD. What about the Reserves is attractive to you?

JasonJ1234
08-31-09, 12:42 AM
To be honest, ive been doing a lot of thinking about reserves or active duty and i decided today Active Duty would be for me. I'm passionate about joining the Corps. and if i'm going to earn the title i want the full experience thank you for getting back to me on this Marines. The reason reserves was an option for me was because the idea of leaving friends and family behind for 4 years+ is uneasy to me but that's all part of the journey.

GREY MATTER
08-31-09, 01:43 AM
if you already have some school under your belt why dont you enlist as an officer candidate, that way once you graduate from school you will be in charge of all of us...if i had it to do over again...

MicMarine
08-31-09, 07:25 AM
The reason reserves was an option for me was because the idea of leaving friends and family behind for 4 years+ is uneasy to me but that's all part of the journey.

Family will be there and your friends will be doing the same trash as before you left. Glad you decided on AD. I was on I&I and at my last duty station, and still hated it.

Supersquishy
08-31-09, 07:25 AM
Family will be there and your friends will be doing the same trash as before you left. Glad you decided on AD. I was on I&I and at my last duty station, and still hated it.

Why did you hate it?

TRosa06
08-31-09, 09:50 AM
Family will be there and your friends will be doing the same trash as before you left.

So true. Only in my case, my friends do less.

Petz
08-31-09, 10:35 AM
Why did you hate it?

you must not know what I&I do... imagine 7 SNCOs doing 9 Billets.... now on I&I there's only one SNCO/NCO doing 9 Billets....

so... does that sound fun?

I'm exaggerating for the most part but I'm not that far off.

As for your decision... You'll be a Marine as long as you maintain the Corps values Just as TTX said. And remember, AD or Res... be the best at whatever it is you do and you'll go far.

flyby
08-31-09, 01:38 PM
I was I&I at my last duty station. Only difference was that after drill we had off Monday & Tuesday and the Reservist went back to their civilian job Monday with no time off! However, being in the Reserves these days guarantees that at some point you will get 'the full experience'. Good Luck.

Petz
08-31-09, 02:33 PM
there's a law being passed that will make it mandatory that AD units have a 1/1 deployment ratio and reserve units have a 1/3 ratio

Supersquishy
08-31-09, 02:42 PM
there's a law being passed that will make it mandatory that AD units have a 1/1 deployment ratio and reserve units have a 1/3 ratio

can you break that down barney style? 1/1 ratio as in what time frames? 1/3 ratio as the AD deploy at a rate of 3 times for every one time the reserves go?

MLMonk
08-31-09, 03:53 PM
can you break that down barney style? 1/1 ratio as in what time frames? 1/3 ratio as the AD deploy at a rate of 3 times for every one time the reserves go?

This needs to be broken down even more then barney style :scared:

Supersquishy
08-31-09, 03:55 PM
Monk did you make the trip?

MLMonk
08-31-09, 04:03 PM
To Virginia? Yes, 780mi in 10 1/2 hours. Only saw 1 cop the entire way.