PDA

View Full Version : Recruit dies during training at Parris Island

StoneTheWeak
08-28-09, 09:06 AM
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2009/08/ap_marines_parris_island_death_082109/

We all know what this means. Mothers of America are gonna lose their **** and Recruit Training will take another plunge in difficulty.

BR34
08-28-09, 09:11 AM
Mothers of America? That's the second time I've seen you mention them. Get over that boot camp **** man.

StoneTheWeak
08-28-09, 09:20 AM
So you tell me what you think's going to happen then? This kid died and now his family back home is probably devastated. Even though they don't know why yet, I can bet it was from dehydration. And even if it wasn't the Corps fault, his family will want to blame someone.

Supersquishy
08-28-09, 09:24 AM
Could be a number of things for his collapse, including an underliying heart condition not known about, or lied about something to the MEPS including athsma. That is why it is very imortant to disclose everything to meps, your life is dependant on them knowing. Now the Corps is in the spotlight, we will see after the results.

StoneTheWeak
08-28-09, 09:25 AM
I agree. Unfortunately, some recruiters will tell them to hide **** and that they'll be "just fine." And even though thats how it is supposed to work, after the fact is too late. I'm not saying his family WILL make a scene, but when death happens, it's easier to try and blame somebody. It makes the pain lessen.

BR34
08-28-09, 09:28 AM
Uhh...yea, if one of my sons died on Paris Island I'm pretty sure I'd be all up in their asses too. But different strokes for different folks.

Petz
08-28-09, 09:35 AM
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2009/08/ap_marines_parris_island_death_082109/

We all know what this means. Mothers of America are gonna lose their **** and Recruit Training will take another plunge in difficulty.

there's a reason it's such a small blurb... it's happened before.

recruits do die in training... what's going to be difficult is fixing the mistake that allowed him to get in.

This is probably the 3rd death related to training that I can recall hearing about since I got in.

I bet it had something to do with an undiagnosed heart condition.

many times we assume the chest pain or shortness of breath isn't anything at all... and we don't goto a doctor. Don't stress out STW, MoA won't have anything to say here... he wasn't abused and this training has been done to countless others with no fatality.

Marine84
08-28-09, 10:00 AM
Back in 84 our Sister Plt had one that fell out of bed that FIRST morning and hit the deck from a heart attack. Needless to say, the DI's got ALL of us out of there while they moved her body. $h!t happens.

Lisa 23
08-29-09, 10:52 AM
This young man that died during his final PFT, was supposed to graduate yesterday, Aug 28th. I only know this because this young man was in my nephews platoon, and I was at Parris Island, along with a few others from my family, to see my nephew graduate.
From what I do know, he did not die from dehydration. While I was waiting for my sister to come out of the ladies room at the Douglas Center, she overheard a lady saying that the young man had a touch of Pneumonia that wasn't quite cleared from his system.
I do know that NCIS was there to investigate and no one should speculate about what happened to this young man without knowing the whole story behind it. What my sister heard may not even be the whole story either.
My nephew was supposed to call home on Sunday, Aug 23rd, but their on base liberty got cut short so they could have a ceremony for the young man.

Zulu 36
08-29-09, 11:11 AM
I read somewhere that the Army had a recruit die the other week too. I think he was very early in training and died during PT.

I'd bet this Marine recruit had an underlying heart condition missed at MEPS, especially if he was almost done with boot camp and died after his final PFT. A "touch" of pneumonia shouldn't be the primary cause of death, but may have been a contributing factor if present.

Every service has these kinds of deaths occur during basic training several times per year, and several times per year with people on active service as well. In 1976 or 1977 the 1st MarDiv CG died of a heart attack on his front lawn just after coming back from running five miles. He was a PT stud too.

PaidinBlood
08-29-09, 01:19 PM
While I'm sure it is tragic for this recruit's family-loss always is-what is the big deal?

Playing Marine can be a dangerous business-I doubt mistreatment was an issue here. A PFT is an individual event. It's not like he croaked at the end of the vaunted "Crucible", malnourished and fatigued..

The only potential for scandal is if it can be proven that a recruiter specifically told him to conceal a physical condition....SF

thewookie
08-29-09, 01:51 PM
Sh*t happens, beetches -- people die everyday, it didn't say he died as a result of a beat down, it said he was doing a PFT. :mad:

So maybe he had an underlying ticker problem, maybe it was pneumonia, maybe he just died because that's the way it was supposed to be.

RIP, devil pup.:usmc:

SgtThrasher
08-29-09, 02:09 PM
Imagine ,recruits dying @Parris Island,shocking!

SGT7477
08-29-09, 03:09 PM
While I'm sure it is tragic for this recruit's family-loss always is-what is the big deal?

Playing Marine can be a dangerous business-I doubt mistreatment was an issue here. A PFT is an individual event. It's not like he croaked at the end of the vaunted "Crucible", malnourished and fatigued..

The only potential for scandal is if it can be proven that a recruiter specifically told him to conceal a physical condition....SF
Congrats on your promotion, Semper FI.:flag:

Pete0331
08-30-09, 03:17 AM
People die in training every year.
Too bad, but it happens.

SSgt Ramsey
08-30-09, 07:54 AM
How unfortunate for this recruit's family.

But, things happen...Dr's miss stuff all the time, and after 1000's of years have no cure for the common cold, just the symptoms.

It doesn't sound like there was any misconduct or neglect in this kids death...it happens...what makes me mad is that I'm sure the other services have their share of recruit fatalities yearly, but they are rarely heard of in the media. We seem to be picked out of the lineup regardless of the facts.

I wish this on no mans family, and I hate to see any mention of a Marine KIA in our wars, but it's a dangerous job by its very nature...

I'd be interested to read the final report from NCIS and medical on this and find out what did happen.

Petz
08-30-09, 07:56 AM
it was MC Times snippet.... not really a covered story.

sscjoe
08-30-09, 08:21 AM
If my memory sreves me right, I think we had a recriut die on the march from the recieving barracks to 3rd Bn. in Dec 75.

Drafter
08-30-09, 02:12 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about this young man's death. My sincere condolences to his friends and family.

K.P. Hay
LCPL, USMC
1982-1986

MD8724
08-31-09, 07:42 PM

Maybe our initial reaction should be remorse, not what's going to happen at a ****ing place we will never be agian.

Maybe you can go **** on his grave while you're at it.

StoneTheWeak
08-31-09, 08:09 PM
Maybe our initial reaction should be remorse, not what's going to happen at a ****ing place we will never be agian.

Maybe you can go **** on his grave while you're at it.

And maybe I'll just take that with a grain of salt too. I wasn't insulting him or cheering for his death. It sucks. If that's what you gotta out of my post....

**** it, I got no answer for that.

Petz
08-31-09, 08:32 PM
gotta huh? haha... Stone, watch the tone... he'll take it the wrong way just like he did with your initial post....

you might want to clarify your response/rephrase it.

StoneTheWeak
08-31-09, 08:46 PM
I was in a hurry. I've had explosive diarrhea all day.

It obviously sucks the kid died. It sucks when anybody dies. I thought that much could have been assumed.

fmwright
08-31-09, 10:07 PM
For the love of God, the total lack of respect I am reading here about this young Marines death blows my mind. This kid worked his ass off for months to make it through boot camp. Have you all forgotten what it took to do that? How many times did you think you were going to die in boot camp? This poor guy DID! Show some respect Marines! He is one of ours after all.

Rest in peace young Leatherneck.

FMW

:flag:

:iwo:

DocGreek
08-31-09, 10:59 PM
:evilgrin: HEY...WRIGHT, joined this site in 2006? "About Me", says you're an E-1, but your AVATAR shows something different? You've been in the Marine Corps since 1978?? ONLY 2 posts since 2006?? WHO THE FVCK ARE YOU??? Update your SH1T....OR...DON'T POST!!!....:evilgrin:

grissom
09-01-09, 05:36 AM
Oh Boy Not Again.

StoneTheWeak
09-01-09, 06:25 AM
:evilgrin: HEY...WRIGHT, joined this site in 2006? "About Me", says you're an E-1, but your AVATAR shows something different? You've been in the Marine Corps since 1978?? ONLY 2 posts since 2006?? WHO THE FVCK ARE YOU??? Update your SH1T....OR...DON'T POST!!!....:evilgrin:

WHEW WHEW WHEW!!!!

Profile Police are HUNTIN

Petz
09-01-09, 06:32 AM
For the love of God, the total lack of respect I am reading here about this young Marines death blows my mind. This kid worked his ass off for months to make it through boot camp. Have you all forgotten what it took to do that? How many times did you think you were going to die in boot camp? This poor guy DID! Show some respect Marines! He is one of ours after all.

Rest in peace young Leatherneck.

FMW

:flag:

:iwo:

Chill out....

it's not about the RECRUIT who died... it's about the possible implications it can have on the Recruit Training... this is the topic of conversation, if you really can't handle talking about that then you need to go away.

You think anyone here is bad mouthing the RECRUIT who died? I'd like for you to show me the post... hasn't happened.

The fact that you are taking this post out of context is disrespectful to the RECRUIT who died... you are using his death to make an argument.

RIP RECRUIT....

fmwright
09-01-09, 06:38 AM

Holy $h|T Doc, take a pill. Look again, happy now? Sombody needs a hug......:mad:

thedrifter
09-01-09, 06:54 AM
Holy $h|T Doc, take a pill. Look again, happy now? Sombody needs a hug......:mad:

I like this;)

Ellie

BR34
09-01-09, 07:55 AM
Chill out....

it's not about the RECRUIT who died... it's about the possible implications it can have on the Recruit Training... this is the topic of conversation, if you really can't handle talking about that then you need to go away.

You think anyone here is bad mouthing the RECRUIT who died? I'd like for you to show me the post... hasn't happened.

The fact that you are taking this post out of context is disrespectful to the RECRUIT who died... you are using his death to make an argument.

RIP RECRUIT....

I've never seen so many of your sentences start with a capital letter. I'm sorry, but that's just very ammusing to me, plus this site is full of grammar nazis, so I figured now's a good time to join em.

NoRemorse
09-01-09, 08:20 AM
I'd like to jump on that bandwagon and ask that people stop using the ellipsis just on principle.

BR34
09-01-09, 08:26 AM
I'd like to jump on that bandwagon and ask that people stop using the ellipsis just on principle.

Hey, that's better than the ones that use commas as ellipsis.

,,,,,,,,ha,,,,,,NO!!!

Petz
09-01-09, 08:31 AM
hahahaha.......... I like ellipsisi.

and it's 'cause I'm thinking, consider it a stutter.

BR, thank you for the "compliment".

ameriken
09-01-09, 08:35 AM

I know you aint talking about me.........

NoRemorse
09-01-09, 08:38 AM
I know you aint talking about me.........

You're dribbling.:confused:

BR34
09-01-09, 08:51 AM
,,,,,,,But enough of this hijacklin' though,,,,,,,

Petz
09-01-09, 08:53 AM
this thread is dead.................. hijacklin is all that's left ,....,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,., (tracks)

ameriken
09-01-09, 08:56 AM
.........!!!

Petz
09-01-09, 09:07 AM
.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,!!!!!!.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., ,,,,............... (see that, the track broke and it didn't stop!!)

PaidinBlood
09-01-09, 08:27 PM
Congrats on your promotion, Semper FI.:flag:

S/F...:usmc: