PDA

View Full Version : By Land, by sea

thedrifter
08-28-09, 08:36 AM
By Land, by sea
Corporals Course under way while underway
Lance Cpl. Michael A. Bianco

USS ESSEX, At Sea (August 28, 2009) -- A Corporals Course, held aboard the forward-deployed amphibious assault ship USS Essex, Aug. 3-9, sharpened leadership skills for more than 60 Marines from the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit.

The course provided training in Marine Corps history, military justice, physical fitness, sexual harassment and leadership styles and traits.

Sgt. Maj. Carlton W. Kent, sergeant major of the Marine Corps, recognized the noncommissioned officer is a valued part and a major contributor in the Corps' success.

"The role of the Marine NCO has not changed in the Corps since 1775," Kent said in a March e-mail to the Okinawa Marine. "NCOs have always been, and will remain, the 'backbone' of our Corps. The role of the NCO is one of the most important leadership roles to mission accomplishment."

Corporals Course is another method used by the Corps to reinforce the role of the NCO.

"This isn't just another check in the box for Marines," said Staff Sgt. Justin Green, the chief instructor for the Corporals Course. "It's paramount for us to instill the Corps' values and traditions during the course so they can pass along the knowledge to their Marines."

No matter if it's a lance corporal waiting to pick up corporal or a seasoned NCO, the course is designed to provide the knowledge and skills necessary to lead Marines by highlighting leadership fundamentals and the comprehension of general military subjects.

This at-sea course provided students the flexibility to reach their goals in becoming better leaders despite the MEU's operational tempo and demanding work schedule.

"A lot of jobs change for Marines on ship," Green said. "The ones that are constantly working ashore might have a lighter schedule on ship. Now when the (operational tempo) is higher, the course can adjust in order to allow members the opportunity to participate without having to worry about falling behind in their normal work responsibilities."

Corporal Courses ashore can last for two or three weeks; on ship, it is five days. However, the course continued to test the students' personal strengths.

"The instructors didn't want to loose any of the integral components of the course," said Cpl. Matthew Boelke, intelligence analyst from the 31st MEU and graduate of the Corporals Course. "The course was shorter in length, but we worked 15-plus-hour days in order to encompass all subjects."

Even with the long and strenuous days, Boelke said he was satisfied with the results.

"As an NCO, it's my responsibility to teach my Marines good morals, ethos and values," said Boelke, a Minneapolis, Minn., native. "The Corporals Course taught me how to be a stronger leader, and the knowledge I learned will allow me to train my Marines to the best of my abilities."

Green was also pleased with the course.

"I believe the course was a great success," Green said. "The students and the instructors learned a lot from one another, and it helped both become better leaders."

Ellie