PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan baptism a pleasant surprise for military mom

thedrifter
08-28-09, 08:30 AM
Afghanistan baptism a pleasant surprise for military mom
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 3:55 PM

COLLIER COUNTY: A U.S. Marine from Collier County is getting national attention for his actions off the battlefield in Afghanistan.

Video of Lance Corporal Zach Ludwig getting baptized in a ditch has become an internet sensation. We spoke to his mother who says she couldn't be prouder.

Tammy Ludwig is proof you never know what you'll find on the internet. She explained one night, while surfing a military website, she stumbled upon a video clip that shocked her.

"I wanted to know what's going on in Afghanistan, where my son is," she said.

She saw her 21-year-old son, Zach Ludwig, being baptized in Afghanistan.

"It was like 1:30 in the morning. I'm waking my husband up and it was just overwhelming. It was incredible," she said.

When he deployed in May, his parents thought Christmas might be the next time they see their son Zach - until they came across the video.

"I cried for hours after that. Just happy, happy tears," said Tammy Ludwig.

Originally shown by the Washington Post, CNN also aired the clip.

"A friend of mine called me on my cell and said, 'Oh my goodness Tammy, Zach is on CNN with Campbell Brown!' And I was like, 'What?'" Tammy said.

With this month on pace to be the deadliest yet in Afghanistan, Tammy understands why some Marines are strengthening their faith.

"Knowing what they're seeing and what they're doing, it's nice to have God on your side," said Tammy.

It's one break from battle touching the hearts of many military parents, including Lance Corporal Zach Ludwig's.

By Adam Freeman

Ellie