PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Mechanic?

abellville
08-28-09, 01:32 AM
Have any of the marines on here had any experience as an aircraft mechanic? none of the recruiters at my rss know much about this MOS, any input would be appreciated.

GREY MATTER
08-28-09, 02:25 AM
what MOS? i am and have been since 1998

Sgt Jim
08-28-09, 07:10 AM
There is Hydraulics,Air frames,control systems and much more.depends on what the Marine Corps needs.good luck.

Supersquishy
08-28-09, 08:11 AM
Harrier Mechanic here, Powerline shop, Plane Captain.....What do you want to know?

MicMarine
08-28-09, 08:59 AM
What do you want to know?

How do I lock on a 3way with Alyssa Milano and Scarlett Johansson?

It's Friday and I am in a good mood.:banana:

StoneTheWeak
08-28-09, 09:11 AM
How do I lock on a 3way with Alyssa Milano and Scarlett Johansson?

It's Friday and I am in a good mood.:banana:

I second this, but with Raven Riley and Megan Fox.

Anyways, I'm not an aircraft mechanic, I'm Avionics, but I have alot of friends here who are mechanics, and I can tell you all about what Pensacola is like. The job specifics can be sent to Super. But he's been away from Pensacola since it was the cool place to be.

Supersquishy
08-28-09, 09:15 AM
I second this, but with Raven Riley and Megan Fox.

. But he's been away from Pensacola since it was the cool place to be.
Do they still have those little jets on top of each light pole?
Pensacola was OK, that was the first time for me of seeing thunderstorms.

StoneTheWeak
08-28-09, 09:23 AM
Nope, no jets.

Pensacola had its ups, but because of Marines being stupid, things got stupid. When the instructors I had were there, it was free libo. Your ass was in seat the next day and no one said anything. But of course people would get drunk and terrorize the pensacolians, so the command had to crack down.

The CO when I was there would occasionally let us stay out past our bedtime on saturday nights.

Petz
08-28-09, 09:43 AM
you see why people hat training life so much? 'cause Marines in training don't really have mentor-ship.... I'm glad you're kinda enjoying life a bit more STW.

Supersquishy
08-28-09, 09:48 AM
ohh first time I had a Papa johns pizza, and first time of having Ockra at the chow hall, grew up in Alaska, what can I say........

MicMarine
08-28-09, 10:03 AM
ohh first time I had a Papa johns pizza, and first time of having Ockra at the chow hall, grew up in Alaska, what can I say........

Super...have you done anything exciting? I wish I was at your unit, ball busting nonstop. I am an @sshole...FYI

Artemis
08-28-09, 10:54 AM
There is Hydraulics,Air frames,control systems and much more.depends on what the Marine Corps needs.good luck.

Hydraulics and airframes are one MOS now. I have a 6152.

GIrene
08-29-09, 08:45 AM
Yeah exactly what do you want to know? Most of us can sit here and shoot random facts all day.

I'm a 6257, Hydraulics/Structures on Hornets.

GREY MATTER
08-29-09, 03:03 PM
Yeah exactly what do you want to know? Most of us can sit here and shoot random facts all day.

I'm a 6257, Hydraulics/Structures on Hornets.

what squadron?

GIrene
08-29-09, 06:16 PM
Originally with 314, now with 101. Trying to go back to 314, 225, or say screw it and go to 242 (my three duty station options for reupping). I'm still in the air on Latmoving to 0231.

Banshee
08-29-09, 08:40 PM
Even though I am not a straight mech (i'm going crew chief), I am going through AD school for hueys and cobras right now. It's your basic mechanic--transmissions, engines, rotors, stuff like that. Unfortunately, the contract you sign up for will most likely be general, which means you could end up as airframe, mech, avionics, flight equipment, or gse (support equipment)--which ever one they choose for you at MCT, then may later change at Pensacola.

abellville
08-29-09, 10:44 PM
damn, theres alot of you on here. just wondering what the schooling is like, what possible job i could be getting, pros, cons, ect., i havent been able to talk to anyone about it.

Petz
08-29-09, 10:50 PM
lots of jobs.... no matter what they can tell you there will be that one job they don't cover that you'll get stuck with and it'll be a learning experience for you... so just give up on trying to understand it prior to you earning the title...

the school is longer than most but if you're married there are times the spouse can move with you (can anyone confirm this as I don't have personal experience) Your pros/cons depend on you (Marine joke... and it's really not that funny... why am I not deleting it then?)

the pros are, it's highly technical no matter what job you get... cons are, it's highly technical no matter what job you get.

many, many, many Marines enjoy their jobs they end up with... it's about 10% - 30% who don't... who hate it (thier MOS) with a passion... so... good luck.

GIrene
08-29-09, 10:55 PM
What job? Well good luck. When I joined my primary and backup packages were:

A. Aviation Mechanics (Seat Mech, Airframer, Powerliner, etc)
B. Aviation Electronics (Comm Nav, Electrics)

Nothing at all was guaranteed.

So I went to Boot, found out I was a 6000... Something in the airwing. Didn't tell me much.

I left MCT under the guise I would be a Powerliner (Engine Mech). I got to Pensacola and they were like "Who here is supposed to go to AD (Navy rate for Eng. Mechs) school house?" Those of us it applied to raised our hands. "Congratulations they over assigned your MOS you are all now AMs." (Airframes) At the end I found out I was to be a Organizational Level Mechanic on Hornets. They took 6 volunteers to be UAV mechanics.

In C-School I picked my duty station order as 1. Overseas 2. West Coast 3. East Coast. Ended up with orders to VMFA(AW)-121 (Miramar). Apparently while on leave my orders were changed to VMFA-314 (also Miramar) which I found out about when I checked into the MAG. Someone else had orders to 121 but they were full and they gave her her choice of units. She went with "the next one going to Iraq" or VMFA(AW)-225. Im now in VMFAT-101 and apart from a UDP to Japan, I've spent my whole career in Miramar.

Thats just my experience.

As for pros/cons g'luck. They'll vary. Most units will factor in the "Green Side" so your PFT and Training and general attitude and work ethic all apply like everyone. But they also like to judge your pros/cons off of the qualifications you have.

The wing is built around quals and it strangely ends up with strange situations. Like two Lances (who were busted from lance once each) who were CDI's and because they were CDI's and I was a boot Corporal (and not a CDI) they ran the shop. Luckily they had the working knowledge of someone that'd been in a year more than me and the working respect was there. But there are a few cases where that stuff can go wrong. Both picked up all the way to Sergeant real fast though.

Just go to your schools, do your best and when you hit the Fleet, work and don't stop working, nab up all the quals you can. If you end up Hornets knock that Hyd Contam and Brake Rider out like its cool, absorb all the maintenance work you do (try and get on Night Crew, they do a majority of the maintenance that keeps things running) to work up towards your Level III (and your CDI) and at the same time keep working on Ground Support Equipment and your Final Checker (Ashore). After that its Turn and CDI and by now you may or may not be a Corporal. As a CDI you will be the job supervisor on jobs and maybe... you may end up running the shift in some cases.

Its alphabet soup now but it'll make a lot more sense when you hit the fleet. I wouldn't know the rotary or C-130 or Harrier side but I imagine they run a bit the same.

abellville
08-30-09, 04:47 AM
alright, sounds like i made a great choice. thanks a lot!

Supersquishy
08-30-09, 10:30 AM
I left MCT under the guise I would be a Powerliner (Engine Mech). I got to Pensacola and they were like "Who here is supposed to go to AD (Navy rate for Eng. Mechs) school house?" Those of us it applied to raised our hands. "Congratulations they over assigned your MOS you are all now AMs." (Airframes) At the end I found out I was to be a Organizational Level Mechanic on Hornets. They took 6 volunteers to be UAV mechanics.

I guess things don't change much, Thats the exact same thing that happend to me!, I was supposed to go "Air Crew" but was overloaded with Marines waiting. They said all going aircrew raise your hands, then said sorry, blah blah blah!!

Petz
08-30-09, 10:50 AM
actually... you volunteered! hahaha... never raise your hand!!! :D

Supersquishy
08-30-09, 10:52 AM
actually... you volunteered! hahaha... never raise your hand!!! :D
Never thought about it that way......DAMN I should have left my hand down and squeeked by.:evilgrin:
Edit: went through boot and MCT with a Marine who bragged about getting Crew Chief, you should have seen his face in P-cola when this happend.. I think he cried, that sucked for him too as OJT he did the aircrew thing and I was ****ed cause my OJT was building helo engines.....karmas a bioch for both of us....

GIrene
09-03-09, 12:43 AM
I guess things don't change much, Thats the exact same thing that happend to me!, I was supposed to go "Air Crew" but was overloaded with Marines waiting. They said all going aircrew raise your hands, then said sorry, blah blah blah!!

LOL. Kind of what my recruiter once told me. Everyone that wants tanks and traks ends up artillery and everyone that somehow (for some reason) want arty end up tanks or traks... (IIRC the 1800 enlistment package has M1s, Traks, and for some odd reason Artillery and like another job tacked on as the "guarantees." At least I think I remember seeing it... I wanted to be a tanker real bad :D )

Anyways, same thing... All these Crash Fire Rescue wannabees ended up becoming Ordies. A good chunk of the guys in 314's ORD shop were kicked outta CFR School because they overassigned it.

Shoot, I'm glad to be an Airframer. Its an awesome, stressful and sometimes fulfilling job. I had two pilots thank me a couple days ago after they finished their flight for troubleshooting their jet on the line and getting it to fly right. Warm and fuzzies since that don't happen often... at all.

By the way abellville. Be prepared for loooooong hours. This 0600 to 1630 like some parts of the Fleet don't exist in our world. You'll be jealous of the S-Shops who come in at 0700 or 0730 when you have to roll in at 0530. And when you are running the show you WILL come in earlier and stay later to insure good passdowns and that you know what you need to do that day or pass on to the other crew what you did. Our day crew day runs about 10 hours, night crew more. And don't be surprised when they pull 12 on-12 off shifts. They happen. And if you go to a boat or deployed unit they'll be a way of life for 6 months. Its loooong hard work, but at the end of the day I can say I help put around $600 worth of equipment and 25-40 lives in the air and got them all back down safely. On deployment you'll be doing that and deterring the bad guys with some good ol' Marine CAS.