PDA

View Full Version : Hard time getting in due to medical history

FMOH1
08-27-09, 10:38 AM
Since I was a little girl I've wanted to be a Marine. So after graduating from college I began my application process for becoming a Marine Officer. I started the process down south, my OSO there was aware of my medical history. I ended up moving back up north so I switched recruiters. The recruiter up north was also made aware of my medical history. They submitted my information to MEPS (or so that's what they told me). A few days later I was told that I was PERMANENTLY DISQUALIFIED. My recruiter told me there was nothing they could do. A few months later I decided to call MEPS myself and figure out what I could do...turns out I wasn't even in the system. The recruiter up north only submitted my information to the district person and they said to drop me.

Upon finding this out I returned south to work with the OSO there. The Captain is very supportive, but I'm still in limbo. Here is the problem: I was raped during college. The events that took place subsequently is what's hampering my progress. I went through counseling and I had a hospital stay for what the psychiatrist said was a suicide attempt. I repeatedly told her that it was not a suicide attempt that I had accidentally taken too many pills cause I was trying to finally get some sleep cause I had been unable to really sleep since the rape. She didn't listen to anything I had to say...she basically kept talking to her interns.

So on my medical records from the hospital it just has suicide attempt and nothing else about the rape, the counseling or any of that. I gathered all of the information I had from my counselors and gave it to my recruiter. He says he's fighting for me but it doesn't look good.

I really don't know what to do from here. I've wanted nothing more than to be a Marine my entire life. Any suggestions on what to do? ANYTHING!!

Petz
08-27-09, 12:07 PM
PM GyC (that's his screen name) and ask him what's up... make sure you reference this thread so you don't have to write/copy-paste everything again...

I am to guess it's the "suicide attempt" that's getting you screwed... have you thought about talking to the doctor and threatening to sue or something? malpractice is a *****...

I don't know but it sounds pretty close to deformation of character to me. If you know you weren't suicidal I'm sure you have some way of fixing this.

you should contact a lawyer about this, and if all of this was documented you can get another opinion to see if that doc was a quack or just wanted you out of his/her officer so he could take some oxycotin...

0331 2 0369
08-27-09, 12:25 PM
PM GyC (that's his screen name) and ask him what's up... make sure you reference this thread so you don't have to write/copy-paste everything again...

I am to guess it's the "suicide attempt" that's getting you screwed... have you thought about talking to the doctor and threatening to sue or something? malpractice is a *****...

I don't know but it sounds pretty close to deformation of character to me. If you know you weren't suicidal I'm sure you have some way of fixing this.

you should contact a lawyer about this, and if all of this was documented you can get another opinion to see if that doc was a quack or just wanted you out of his/her officer so he could take some oxycotin...

I agree. Contact GyC for his take on this.

Lawsuit might be a little over in my opinion. Having been raped, can't sleep, take meds to help sleep but take enough to be an overdose. Gray area but the worst they can say is it won't hold water. Never know till you try though.

Petz
08-27-09, 12:31 PM
yeah, but the toxicology report will say whether or not it was suicide level or an extra pill...

if the doctor didn't use the toxicology report or even didn't have one done how can she say it was or wasn't?? that's malpractice when she's talking about something that either makes her a liability in almost any job with security clearance or not..

and as NoRemorse pointed out... it's defamation of character.

0331 2 0369
08-27-09, 12:43 PM
FMOH1 --- keep us updated on your situation. This could be a learning experience for all of us. Good luck.

NoRemorse
08-27-09, 12:46 PM
I smell of a motion for discovery being filed shortly after the defendants are named in a malpractice suit.

Request copies of all your records and take them to a 3rd party.