PDA

View Full Version : 8th and I perform at Parris Island

thedrifter
08-27-09, 09:01 AM
8th and I perform at Paris Island
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 9:27 AM

By WTOC staff

PARRIS ISLAND, SC (WTOC) - The "Best of the Best" gave a special performance in the Lowcountry on Wednesday.

The 8th and I Battle Colors Detachment from Marine Barracks Wshington D.C. gave a performance on the parade deck at Parris Island.

The Marine Drum and Bugle Corps known as the Commadant's Own kicked off the ceremony, entertaining the crowd with a variety of songs.

The Detachment's Silent Drill Platoon also amazed the crowd as they executed drill sequences without any verbal commands.

"My favorite part was when they went twirling the baynettes around in the circle, that was neat," said Sarah Gardner, who was visiting the area with her grandfather.

"This is a great ceremony, always great," said Bill Gardner, a member of the Sun City Veteran's Association. "This is the third time I've come up to see it and it's better every time."

These marines perform for dignitaries and in ceremonies across the world, but today they entertained marine families, recruits and spectators with precision during their annual visit to the Lowcountry.

"Performing for all of these recruits, it filled me with a lot of pride, took me back to my roots," said Lance Cpl. Johnathan Zimmer.

"We try to motivate, inspire, show the corps values with honor, courage and committment and esprit de corps all marines try to have with each other," said Sgt Mullins.

As they performed, many of these marines hoped to motivate the corps future marines.

"I hope the recruits walk away with that inspiration, that dedication to become a marine, something to strive for," said Zimmer.

"It kind of gave us a break from all of the stuff we do during the day," said William Doss. "It was a nice motivation too because we have drill coming up in a few weeks and to see them come out here like this, it's a great motivation for all of the recruits here."

Recruits watching the performance say that's exactly what they did.

Video

http://www.wtoc.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=4076574&h1=8th%20and%20I%20perform%20at%20Paris%20Island&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=119700&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&rnd=2876924

Ellie