PDA

View Full Version : Mama Mia! Italian meal wins chef top honors

thedrifter
08-27-09, 07:24 AM
Mama Mia! Italian meal wins chef top honors

8/28/2009 By Lance Cpl. Miranda Blackburn , Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni

Every quarter, the best chefs from both mess halls and the Food Service Division Office come together to compete for the Chef of the Quarter title.

During the Chef of the Quarter Board at the Southside Mess Hall here Aug. 20, Lance Cpl. Jose Flores proved he is the best Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni has to offer when it comes to culinary expertise.

The competition started off Aug. 19 with five Marines looking sharp in their service “C” uniforms for the knowledge portion.

On the first day the Marines were tested on their professionalism and bearing during the oral exam. Then they were directed to three tables where they had to identify five different spices using taste, smell and texture, give the proper names for kitchen equipment and identify the different parts of a meat thermometer.

At the end of day one all five contestants were within only a few points of each other.

“This is the closest board I have seen so far,” said Master Sgt. John B. Bass, the food service technician.

When day two rolled around, a few of the contestants showed up as early as 5:30 a.m. to set up their display tables and prepare their products.

The Marines couldn’t hide the passion they had for their job. Once they started cooking, no one could stop them from accomplishing their goal.

“I love to cook,” said Lance Cpl. Earl Lee, representing the Food Service Division Office. “If I’m not going to eat it, I’m not going to cook it.”

While some chefs rolled out pie crusts for their desserts, others diced vegetables for a pasta or added just enough spice to make the perfect soup.

All contestants were confident their product was going to be the best.

“There’s no reason that I can’t win,” said Flores. “I’m taking a risk by making something I’ve never made before, though.”

While some were out to win the title, others were there to show their talent and do their best.

“I’m not hoping to win; I just want to do well,” said Lance Cpl. Jon-Luke Dean McAdams, representing the Northside Mess Hall.

Bass yelled, “Five minutes,” to keep the contestants on their toes as the competition came down to the wire. Competitors raced to add the finishing touches to their entrées, plated their desserts and added just enough garnish to their display.

After each of the Marine’s buffets were set up, eight judges from around the station ampled the array of food offered by the hefs.

Judges scored the contestants on menu display, presentation and taste.

The anxious Marines stood behind their tables, waiting for the results.

“I’m just really nervous about what everyone’s going to think about my product compared to everyone else’s,” said Flores “because I’m up against some of the best cooks here.”

With first, second and third place coming within five points of each other, Lt. Col. Tray J. Ardese announced Flores’ Italianthemed meal had taken the competition.

“I’m speechless,” said Flores. “I’m glad I won. I did my best.”

Flores will receive a certificate of commendation and will go on to compete in Okinawa for a chance to win the Chef of the Quarter Marine Corps Bases Japan title.

Ellie