PDA

View Full Version : I have a strange allergy, can I enlist?

Zeke
08-26-09, 04:11 PM
When metal touches my skin for an extended period of time my skin gets irritated and starts to itch. My concern is wearing dog tags. I know they make silencers which people wear and also came across a plastic tube that the chain can be put through. Would I be allowed to wear one of those? Thanks.

samthomas
08-26-09, 04:15 PM
There might be times when you wouldn't be able to wear something over the chain, such as during boot camp, but otherwise I don't recall any times when it would have been prohibited. I used the outer shell of 5-50 cord over the chain.

This might be a time when you don’t want to volunteer information. Getting a little itch won’t stop you from doing the job, but might possibly be another hurdle to jump.

giveen
08-26-09, 04:30 PM
I just wouldnt mention it.
I have a mole on my neck, and wearing my dog tags was very irritating. In boot camp, I did as I was told and wore it with the plastic wrap.

Once in the fleet, I had my dog tags in my pocket and put it on for inspections.

BR34
08-26-09, 04:33 PM
That's weird, I never once wore dog tags around my neck in boot camp. We kept our medical thing in our boot, and didn't get the tags till about 3 days before graduation. This was almost 3 years ago, fwiw.

giveen
08-26-09, 05:19 PM
That's weird, I never once wore dog tags around my neck in boot camp. We kept our medical thing in our boot, and didn't get the tags till about 3 days before graduation. This was almost 3 years ago, fwiw.
Each platoon and DI are different. I was in bootcamp 7 years ago.

Zulu 36
08-26-09, 06:10 PM
We never wore dogs tags in boot camp either. I always used 550-cord for my tags, except for inspections. The cord was quieter and more comfortable.

BR34
08-26-09, 06:19 PM
Each platoon and DI are different. I was in bootcamp 7 years ago.

I wonder if any plts wear them now before graduation. I don't remember seeing them on any of the other recruits from other companies either. We need to find out from a newer Marine.

dizark
08-26-09, 06:47 PM
We were given a tag that had our social and name on it if I remember.. It wasn't an official one. We got our real ones during Marine week prior to graduation.

Petz
08-26-09, 07:25 PM
that's a waste of money...

as for us we got ours when they made our IDs.... no point wasting cash when they might drop...

the 550 cord sheathing is a great idea as it's more comfortable and nice looking.

samthomas
08-26-09, 09:27 PM
I wonder if any plts wear them now before graduation. I don't remember seeing them on any of the other recruits from other companies either. We need to find out from a newer Marine.

I thought we wore them for part of the time, but am not really sure. Not a long time, but twelve years is long enough to wipe away that detail of boot camp.

marine95
08-26-09, 11:52 PM
For combat purposes, the 550 cord is a bad idea. Unlike the chain that can break if someone is choking you, the 550 cord can be used to kill you because it won't break away.

Bonzack
08-27-09, 03:23 AM
We weren't allowed to wear our dog tags in boot camp. But after we earned the title we had to but we weren't allowed to wear those things...

We also showered with our "thinking caps" (Kevlars) a couple times..so..I mean..it depends on your PLT.

Old Marine
08-27-09, 09:22 AM
that's a waste of money...

as for us we got ours when they made our IDs.... no point wasting cash when they might drop...

the 550 cord sheathing is a great idea as it's more comfortable and nice looking.

Nice looking dog tag chain, now that's a good one. What the hell does it matter what the chain looks like as long as it is serviceable and besides who is going to look at it when you are wearing it?

Never ever read so much trival in my entire life.i

TRosa06
08-27-09, 09:30 AM
We were given a tag that had our social and name on it if I remember.. It wasn't an official one. We got our real ones during Marine week prior to graduation.

Same thing with me. I went through in Dec 2008.

samthomas
08-27-09, 09:58 AM
For combat purposes, the 550 cord is a bad idea. Unlike the chain that can break if someone is choking you, the 550 cord can be used to kill you because it won't break away.

We only used the casing of the 5-50 cord, over the chain, so that it would still break if grabbed.

Petz
08-27-09, 10:10 AM
gunny, I meant that it's nice looking compared to the clear plastic tube that yellows after about a month of wearing it...

and like sam said, you don't tie the ends together so the chain will still break, just like if the tube was used.